Feeds

back to article Google tips hat to St George - finally

We're delighted to announce that Google has, after several years of nagging, finally got its act together and acknowledged the patron saint of hoodies, speed cameras, overvalued property, and binge drinking. Google's Saint George masthead Yes indeed, it's beers all round at the Googleplex for restoring English pride in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Alert

I smell racism afoot!

Although El Reg is based in England, even the English fall into that eternal trap, England = UK. This is just not true, and with a .co.uk domain, you ought to be fighting for equality. We would like to see, FOR EXAMPLE, a St Andrew's Day acknowledgement on Google. UK != England. Fight, damn you, Reg, fight for the oppressed minorities!

Coat

I'll be the one.........

Morris dancing outside

or not!

Silver badge
Coat

Good news indeed

By Jove, jolly good show

Mine's the chain mail one, and the white surcoat with the George cross

Paris Hilton

.co.uk

So, if we're not allowed to talk about the patron saint of England with a .co.uk domain - who's going to set up the .en registrar then?

Paris - because she understands being a saint!

That's the problem with the world....

Most people (including many English people sadly) refer to the UK as "England". I was mighty pissed off on St Andrews day that the Scots didn't get a mention.... why is Google being so small minded? Jeeze without the Scots you'd not even have tellys let alone computers....

I'm sure the Irish got a mention on St Paddy's day.... so stand with me my Welsh brothers and sisters as we push a reluctant Dave and Andy out to clash with the big boys as we all stand in a circle chanting "fight, fight, fight!"...

Coat

Hmmm...

I wonder if it's a good time for us English non-patriots to all mail the Googletards and bitch about unnecessary shows of nationalism.

Racism?

St George was Turkish anyway....

Silver badge

Google UK

Too bad the nifty logo is only available on the UK version of Google.

Thumb Down

No Surprises....

Google are probably acting on orders from Gordon Brown...

One thing I will give the Yanks is that they are generally pretty patriotic (ok, sometimes stupidly so) and the number of flagpoles flying their flag in front gardens over there is staggering - not to mention the number at workplaces. Over here, fly the Union Jack or English flag and you get arrested for "inciting racial hatred" or some other absurdity*.

*my gf is Indian parentage, and when she puts up the English flag round World Cup etc, she gets left alone because it's just too confusing for them... *grin*

Jobs Horns

St Patrick?

Surely St Patrick is the patron saint of binge drinking?

Unhappy

No pleasing ...

I see they've completely ignored Shakespeare's birthday.

RE: .co.uk et al

I guess you haven't seen this then: http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/190839/campaign-begins-for-eng-domain.html

Happy

@Sean

Hence the kebab, i presume

Happy

@Sean Purdy Re: St George Turkish!!!

I beg to differ - Anatolia was Greek at this time - he was Greek. Still doesn't explain why we don't have a local boy/girl as our national saint though!

Anonymous Coward

England still in UK - SHOCK!

Whilst UK != England, England is still in the UK.

I bet google wish they'd never kicked this off by marking st patricks day.

>Most people (including many English people sadly) refer to the UK as "England".

Well, England is most of it. ;)

This is because when Brits go abroad and people ask where they're from the Scots say Scotland, the (northern) Irish say Ireland, the Welsh say Wales and the English say either the UK or Britain.

BTW The Reg did a St Andrews day splash didn't it?

Joke

@ Colin Guthrie

People in Wales have computers?

but, but, but - that means you've also go electricity!

When did this happen?

Coat

in the uk patriotism = racism, apparently!

there has been cancellations of st. george's day parades because it might offend none-english. what a farce! do the immigrants actually feel offended by the st. george cross? i mean its englands flag (sorry im english, not british or a UK'ian?!?), its ridiculous. if you cant even fly your own countries flag what kind of country are we living in?

i was also hoping for today to be a national holiday - its about time we had a couple more in this country!

im sure england is the only country in the world where the government makes you feel ashamed to feel english. maybe if we got rid of all the scottish and welsh mps we might have abetter country? i mean how can a scotsman (im not even including gordon 'darth vader' brown) rule over what happens in england?

mines the one with the lance and a necklace made out of dragons teeth :)

Patron saint of....

...Moscow too!

So do we see it on google.ru too?

Anonymous Coward

St George?

Considering George isn't actually a saint anymore and hasn't been for years, I think a lot of people are getting excited over nothing....

Cheers Lester

Well great, joke or non-joke there goes another English hack perpetuating the exact reason why St George's day has the BNP laden image it sadly has these days. why the arse can't the press just be genuinely supportive and proud about it? Bloody fool you are lester.

English Non Patriots

"I wonder if it's a good time for us English non-patriots to all mail the Googletards and bitch about unnecessary shows of nationalism."

Quick answer to that - no.

Happy

Cry God for Harry, England and St George!

Happy St. George's Day from an 'Anglicized' American. I'll be popping round to my local after work (not located in the U.S.)

Anonymous Coward

@Colin Guthrie

If you want to fight for Google to do something for Scotland on St Andrew's day then no-one here is stopping you.

I believe that 80% of the UK population is English (or at least lives in England, there are something like 14 million people living in London and only Guy Ritchie is actually English).

Also I thought the TV was invented by an American called Farnsworth P. Cousinmarrier or something similar and the computer was invented by arguably one or more of:

Charles "English" Babbage

Blaise "Pass me the cheese, I need to surrender" Pascal

Herman "The German" Hollirith

Tommy "Never even been to Scotland" Flowers

So not really any Scottish claim on the computer then. Unless I am massively mistaken. Which could be the case, I am rather depressingly sober at the moment.

Stop

re: St Patrick?

>> Surely St Patrick is the patron saint of binge drinking?

By that measure, St. George is the patron saint of not giving a toss.

Google could simplify things by not honouring any of the national saints, just St. Isidore of Seville (April 4th) - the patron saint of both the Internet and computers. Though I suspect St. Bernardine of Siena (May 20th) is more likely, as he's the patron saint of advertising.

Stop

@AC[1] & Colin Guthrie

Funny you should have that opinion that we are the great racists.

In my experience (as an Englishman), normally we're the only part of the British Isles that ISN'T allowed to be their home nationality.

If an Irishman, Scotsman or Welshman (no, this isn't the start of a joke) put down 'Irish', 'Scottish' or 'Welsh' then there are no questions asked, as they're showing they're proud of their heritage. If we put down 'English', however, we are frowned at. "You can't put THAT, you have to put 'British'". I know, I've had forms returned for doing it.

Likewise, our parliament (and government) is full of Celtic gents, despite all 3 other factions having their own parliaments/assemblies governing many of their own matters. Can I just enquire how many of YOUR assemblies have English representatives in them? Tell me that, then we'll discuss who the racist nations are, perhaps?

Oh, and @Mike Cranshaw, why would Gordon Brown be backing an English matter? Try listening a little closer and check out his history and I think you may find he's not an Essex boy...

Anonymous Coward

Whingers!

I don't see a bloody outcry when St. Paddies day is marked by a celebratory google logo... because most use St. Paddies day as an excuse to go out and get plastered on the black stuff.

Get a bloody life!

yay

Well from my perspective St Patrick's day seems to always get all the attention (with Irish Americans, Guinness and what have you) and the other patron saints do get forgotten.

I do also agree that its only fair that the Scots and Welsh get their mentions as well.

Also on the subject of St George's day, its not just about England you know... Other countries have St George as their patron saint including Georgia (hmm lets think on that name for a while shall we?) So lets get some recognition for St George, St Andrew and the others please.

Boffin

It is not just English Pride

My great grandfathers led troops under the St George Banner long before that, fought a foe that was considered invincible, were outnumbered 2:1 and won.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Kulikovo

All of that under St George's banner.

Tom
Happy

Mailed

Every year I'd mail these goips about this and got a personal reply every time, explaining thew choices they have to make on banners every year and the choosing process was very complex, bollocks! every year they have a paddys day banner, my problem is that they have a .co.uk domain and snub old george every year. Any one else notice the dragon looks a little ashen faced today?

Thumb Down

@ Liam and @Anonymous Coward

Liam, Tony Blair is Scottish and no-one complained about him...until he *cough* entered and illegal war...

Why should a Scot, as part of a United Kingdom, not be allowed in to the UK Parliament? Does that mean people in Scotland, Wales and N.Ireland should refuse to have an English Prime Minister? Don't be so bloody stupid.

Anonymous Coward, it's not racist in the slightest. Although the Register is a UK website it's also an English one. There's nothing stopping you starting your own petition to Google demanding a St Andrews day one or a Burns Night one.

The logo looks good. Pity it's UK only.

@Lee

No-one knows who really "invented" TV but John Logie Baird was the first to actually make one work (as opposed to simply having designs and patents). Even then it only recreated crappy face shapes.

Like most technology of that period various countries believe a different person invented it.

Go

@ Mike

Mike, my bad - guess I wasn't clear.

I should have put "Google WERE probably acting on orders from Gordon Brown LAST YEAR..." rather than what I did.

Oh, look! A "Preview Comment" button! I wonder what THAT does??

Silver badge
Alien

at the risk of being called 'unpatriotic' . . .

I've never quite been able to work out what 'English' actually is.

A language made up of all sorts including thing brought back from the colonies, a language with loads of French etc. etc. in it.

A monarchy that has never been English, the ruling nobility using a French model.

And to top it all a patron saint who was made redundant some time back who came from somewhere in the Mediterranean supposedly fighting a mythical creature.

It's a bit late trying to reclaim Blighty as it's all been foreign for centuries. We'd just forgotten that us invading other places is a fairly recent thing - before that it was an all-European fixture.

'English' really is the Chicken Tikka Masala, the white of the chicken and the red of the sauce -- not a bit of white rag with a red cross on it.

Pirate

We've got flags flying in our village! ...

... so far, nobody has complained, probably because they are all English, inbred, white and talk like Pirates about Tracters and Combine 'Arvesters.

Happy

@ Chris Walker

One of the finest attributes of the English is that, apart from big sporting occasions, can't be arsed with all the patriotism bollocks. We leave that to countries with serious insecurities. Here are a few thoughts on patriotism for you:

"One of the great attractions of patriotism - it fulfills our worst wishes. In the person of our nation we are able, vicariously, to bully and cheat. Bully and cheat, what's more, with a feeling that we are profoundly virtuous." - Aldous Huxley

"The people can always be brought to do the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger." - Hermann Goering

"You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it." - Malcolm X

"Patriotism is often an arbitrary veneration of real estate above principles." - George Jean Nathan

"Patriotism is the willingness to kill and be killed for trivial reasons." - Bertrand Russell

"To be accused of a lack of patriotism by Rupert Murdoch is a bit like being told to sit up straight by the Hunchback of Notre Dame." - George Galloway

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all others because you were born in it." – George Bernard Shaw

And best of all:

"The English are not usually given to patriotic boasting - indeed, both patriotism and boasting are regarded as unseemly, so the combination is doubly distasteful. But there is one significant exception to this rule, and that is the patriotic pride we take in our sense of humour, particularly our expert use of irony." - Kate Fox

Dead Vulture

china too

St George also patron saint of China.

Figgers, eh?

Coat

To Be Fair to Google

They have used a St George logo on April 23rd every other year from 2002. This is not the first year St George and a Dragon have appeared, it's the fourth.

No mention of Shakespeare, though.

Coat - mine's an anorak.

Anonymous Coward

@Elmer Phud

But that's the good bit about what 'English' actually is, it's a mix of the cultures we've been in contact with blending in the bits we like.

A good thing surely?

I'd hate it to be some thing constantly yearning for a golden age in some distant past that never really existed.

Stop

Saints day, why bother?

As England is largely non-religious country (not including those people who only go to church for Christenings, Wedding and funerals), is a saints day really relevant?

Maybe a national holiday to celebrate the good things about England without a link to any ex-saint would be more appropriate.

Naturally, Scotland, NI and Wales would need to have days as well, so why not make it the same day.

Of course, what we really want is just a few more public holidays....

Being a Scot...

...I'm pleased you managed to get them to put up a St George banner.

But like so many others are saying, will you do the same for St Andrew and St David? Will you have a go at them every time they miss one of them too?

NB
Coat

sounds familiar...

"The people can always be brought to do the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger." - Hermann Goering

Hmmm, sounds like almost every American politician currently in office...

On another note, why should Scottish and Welsh MP's be able to vote on issues and laws that only effect England? If they can do that then surely English MP's should be given the right to pop into the Scottish parliament or the Welsh assembly and vote however they please there. This seems only fair.

Let's face it, the only way our so-called Govt (I hardly consider 32% of the votes cast by only 60% of eligible voters to be an electoral mandate) gets its way in Parliament is by shipping in these external electoral interlopers and having them toe the party line because they know it won't affect their constituents.

We should have an English parliament for laws and issues that only effect England in which only English MP's can vote. That is the only fair solution and the only way to truly solve the West Lothian question.

While we're at it can we also be allowed to declare our country as England on web forms? I hate having to select 'United Kingdom' because I consider myself English, not British, not UK'ian but English. England is the nation of my birth and heritage and I will not be made to feel ashamed of that no matter what the namby pamby politically correct wankers say about 'offending non-english'. I'm sorry but who's country is this?!

</rant>

Mine's the one with St. Georges Cross on the back.

Happy

@ St George? by AC

"Considering George isn't actually a saint anymore and hasn't been for years, I think a lot of people are getting excited over nothing..."

Hmmm, I think you're getting confused. In 1969 the Roman Catholic Pope revised the Roman Catholic church's list of saints days. For Roman Catholics, St George's day is an "optional" celebration, but St George is, nonetheless, a saint.

I doubt any downgrading would have been observed in England anyway, even by Roman Catholics.

So, unfold your arms, get out of your huff and enjoy yourself!

@liam

"There has been cancellations of st. george's day parades because it might offend none-english"

Is that true, or did you read it in the Daily Mail?

Happy

As a Welshman

As a Welshman, if anyone asks I'm British (its a lot easier, especially with Americans who have no idea where Wales is), however if I say "I'm British" people assume I'm English.

After I have beat them around the head with a daffodil and explained that English != UK, and of course used the phrase "Bloody English!" several times, its all settled.

This one time I was chatting to an American and they asked "where are you from?" I said "UK", they said "oh, I'm from MA!" or something, then asked "which state is UK?"

Anyhow, that dragon looks cute, and whilst you English may have a bloody great dragon killer, us Welsh have a dragon... wait... umm... yeah...

Happy St Georges day ya bloody English ;)

@JonB

Quite so...

Lets face it, you cant get much more culturally diverse than having a patron saint of England who was actually Armenian

Bronze badge
Thumb Up

Apologies to the great Bill Bailey...

England!

No 1 - Obesity!

No 1 - Childhood asthma!

No 1 - Binge drinking!

Champions!

@ Chris Hunt

nope (the only time i read the mail is to take the piss out of the idiots that read it :))

the mrs saw it on the news or something apparently. its like when the footy is on - the st georges cross gets classed as the BNP flag :(

im sure 1/2 the english in this ountry think the union jack is their flag :(

Silver badge
Coat

@JonB

"But that's the good bit about what 'English' actually is, it's a mix of the cultures we've been in contact with blending in the bits we like."

Yup, it's just that those who usually consider themselves to be 'True Brits' (yeah I know, but you try telling them) tend to think that somehow there has been a culture that arose all by itself, without any outside influence.

Douglas Bader -- now that sounds a bit of a Scots/German mix to me.

Another image shot down in flames.

I'd get my tweed coat but even that comes from Scotland.

Flame

Look and listen...

I cannot believe what I am seeing...

Assuming that 90% of El Reg readers are, like myself, involved in some computing career of some form...

Why the hell are you all arguing patriotism or facts when you have a NATIONAL excuse to bunk off work and go for a drink?

Think what the Bastard would do then hang your heads in shame as you fumble blearily for your 8th pint...

The Flame because I am on my 8th pint and in complete lack of control of my emotions...

I may go and change printer access priviliges out of sheer mind-numbing evilness when I get back to work....

IT Angle

@Tom Re Paddy's Day

Actually they don't have a Paddy's day logo EVERY year. I checked and they didn't have one in 1999 (yer I know but) or in 2003.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.