back to article Nintendo denies third-gen DS outing at E3

Nintendo has officially denounced speculation that it’s planning to release a third-generation DS handheld console at the E3 show this year. Hirokazu Hamamura, president of games-magazine publisher Enterbrain, recently forecast that that's just what the games console pioneer is planning. The E3 gaming conference takes place in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Michael Jarve

Do we need another DS?

I'm perfectly happy with my DSLite. Is there anything particularly wrong with the design that would require a new model. If anything, it may be nice to have the DS Opera web-browser built-in, but that's about the only thing I think could be improved.

2. Shonko Kid
    Jobs Horns

It's an iBoy...

30% shinier than DS Lite, but bigger and based on the original specs on the GB Colour. It'll be more expensive, and you'll be locked to paying Nintendo $30 a month whether you use it or not. It won't sell very well, but that won't stop a legion of blogshites proclaiming it as a revolution.

There. that ought to prevent any useful comments :-)

3. Greg

It'll be the Wii 2.

You know full well that's exactly what it'll be. An upgraded Wii, with extra kit.

4. James O'Brien
    Jobs Horns

@Shonko Kid

You owe me a new keyboard. That comment made me put coffee all over it. :)

On the other hand I would say that you definitely stopped the useful comments :) Well done

5. Captain DaFt
    Unhappy

DS PDA?

Back when the DS was first announced, it was touted as having PDA functionality. Nintendo even stated they were talking with Palm about it.

http://www.pdastreet.com/articles/2005/3/2005-3-3-Nintendo-DS-PDA.html

Now, much time has passed, and aside from homebrew, there's no mention of it.

Maybe, just maybe, when a new DS comes out, it'll have it?

Until then, I'll just have to get by with my Lifedrive, with its impossible to see in bright light screen.

6. Rick Brasche
    Happy

maybe

we'll finally get the Wii-DS integration that we've been teased with. Using the DS as a control device, patched in wirelessly. Now you get a configurable touch screen input device with a secondary display unit. Perfect for multiplayer, you see your own stats only..or card games, where you only see your hand and your friends see thiers...

7. MikeC
    Coat

Wii 2

Is that a WiiWii then? Sounds worse than the original. Also, is there much more they can get out of the GameCube?

As for the E3 news - are they going to bring back cartridges instead of discs??? With backards compatability, everyone could wave their arms around playing GoldenEye!

8. Gilbo
    Joke

VirtualDS

Revolutionary 3D technology for your DS Lite! Just flip it open, turn it on its side and press it up against your face.

Controlling Mario using your eyebrows and bottom lip takes a bit of getting used to though.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

No such luck

It will be a couple of Wii games that we have already seen, the launch of Wii-Ware...

...although I'm really hoping they will introduce proper online leagues/team ups and proper in game chat now that they've been able to do that for the PS3.

10. Liam
    Coat

hmmmm

i wonder if it will be a wii with decent graphics and sound? it might even look as good as the ps1 did ;) it might actually come into the 21st century with HD output and surround sound. i just dont use the wii any more as it simply makes my eyes cry looking at it :)

i love to hear everyone doing sony down when nintendo manage to release a gamecube with new controllers and expect people to pay almost ps3 prices for it... ahhh nintendo - ripping off our kids for 30 years :)

11. alphaxion

@hmmm

almost ps3 prices? did you pass basic maths?

at release

wii: £180

ps3: £425

yeah, they were close *rolls eyes*

Unless you're admitting that you were dumb enough to buy a bundle pack that pushed up the price or just an inflated price by a rip off retailer?

The interesting stats would be the level of profit made per machine per territory for nintendos pockets.

japan: $10

us: $40

eu: $73!

Now *there* is your rip off ;)

12. Mike Dyne
    Coat

@liam

Wii at almost PS3 prices?

I'll take 100 PS3s from your supplier right now, and make a shed load of profit!

As for speculation, it's going to be a new stand for the Wii, in a nice, sexy, lime green colour. Also, they'll be showcasing the latest firmware update which FINALLY lets you keep the sexy disc tray light thing on at all times! :D

Mines the lime green one with blue trimmings...

13. TeeCee Gold badge
    Jobs Horns

@Liam

I doubt it. A major part of the Wii feature set is that it achieves a compact form and low price by not stuffing the case with bleeding edge, high-TDP componentry and survives well by admitting that the vast majority of the world doesn't yet have a hi-def monitor and surround system to stuff the output through.

I'd expect Nintendo to give it another couple of years for Hi-def kit to penetrate the installed market further, making it a "must have" feature, by which time they'll probably be able to get componentry to implement it on that won't fry eggs as a side-effect and require a VCR-sized case full of heatsinks and fans.

Hmm, a company obsessed with content and function over presentation and style. Does that make Nintendo the Anti-Apple?

(There are still useful comments here, that's why)....

14. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

@ Lame

" wonder if it will be a wii with decent graphics and sound? it might even look as good as the ps1 did ;) it might actually come into the 21st century with HD output and surround sound. "

Whatever. The Wii and the DS still handed $on¥'s own arse to them on a plate.

Get over it, bitch.

15. Liam
    Coat

@ alphaxion

i DID pay well more for the ps3 than the wii... i would expect to - its 4x the machine (i use it as a media centre - with a 500gb drive containing all my mp3s and my movie files on)

BUT nowadays its a different story:

WII - £180

WII network controller (as most people arent wireless yet) - £20

WII Additional controller - £45 (for the 2 sections)

thats £245

PS3 - 300

PS3 controller - 30

thats £330

so, you can get a MASSIVELY more powerful machine, with lots of media features, top spec HD visuals and high spec audio and a BD player for a measeley £85 more.. plus for a fiver you can get gran turismo and tekken :)

dont get me wrong - we played the wii a lot for a month (until i got the ps3) - but its not a decent games console to me - the wii controllers are all good in theory but arent as good at controlling as the ps3 pads imho - and looking at a wii screen via a 42" tv is painful. things like wii sports seem ok in theory - for a few days - until you realise that tennis doesnt work like a real tennis racket, wii bowling you can get a strike every time etc etc. i just dont think the wii controllers are accurate enough for my liking - especially the 'shake' you get all the time on the screen.

i was really looking forward to some kind of sword fighting game or something but the best you get is a side to side / up and down gesture. this gesture can be performed via the tiniest movement - so you just end up making limp wristed movements in games like zelda (which we played about 75% of the way through until boredom and repeating the same thing all the time got the best of us)

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Liam

Liam: "WII network controller (as most people arent wireless yet) - £20"

Ok then, lets apply your own reasoning to your calculation for the PS3:

PS3 - £300

PS3 controller - £30

1080p LCD TV (as most people still have SD) - £699

So, thats £1029, and NOT £330. Simpleton.

17. alan
    Thumb Up

My C64 is better than your Spectrum...

Crying out loud, it's degenerated into another "mine is better than yours" thread - sad but inevitable.

Of course Nintendo are working on DSmk3. It's just a matter of when it's released and what it's spec is.

Perhaps we could have 4 screens (QS anyone?). That way we can use our hands and feet to play!

I can hear Mario now "Stomp Start to play!"

18. Ben Rose
    Thumb Up

ES3

Not sure what will be coming up at ES3, but I'm sure it will outsell anything PS3.

My guess would be a new Wiimote with built in recharging circuit which will be a large improvement over the 3rd party tat you can buy.

Potentially, now DRM is dying the death, it could be a good time to include an mp3 player in the DS...along with an sdcard adapter or something. Add a bit of video and maybe an online shop and we could be downloading game trailers etc. to the DS wirelessly.

Thumbs up - because whatever it is will be on my xmas list.

19. Liam
    Coat

@ David Corbett

??? and you call me a simpleton! im putting over a simple argument saying that the ps3, imho, is a much better value system - i mean you cant even buy a hd player in the uk for £300 can you? (well maybe now as i guess some prices have dropped recently)

do you NEED a HD TV? NO! you have just made yourself look like an idiot - well done! now go back to the creche you came from and play with your stickle bricks :D

btw - you wont get a very good HD TV for that price anyway ;)

what i was saying was the expenditure to actually USE the system. considering i would expect that we are all pretty intelligent people on here some of the crap that comes up is unbelievable!

20. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Reality check for Liam...

Liam: "so, you can get a MASSIVELY more powerful machine, with lots of media features, top spec HD visuals and high spec audio and a BD player for a measeley £85 more.."

"??? and you call me a simpleton! im putting over a simple argument saying that the ps3, imho, is a much better value system - i mean you cant even buy a hd player in the uk for £300 can you?"

"do you NEED a HD TV? NO!"

"what i was saying was the expenditure to actually USE the system."

What's the point of "HD visuals" and a BD player WITHOUT a HD TV?

As for the £699 HD TV, I was actually trying to be 'sympathetic' to your argument by pricing the cheapest 1080p LCD I could find. Go ahead and add another £500 to your PS3 total if you like, it'll just make you look like an even bigger clown.

21. Ben Rose
    Flame

@Liam

I fail to see what your PS3 drivel has to do with a potential DS Announcement at E3.

I suggest you go back to sonyfanboys.com so we can stay on topic here.

22. Liam
    Coat

**sigh**

HD is irrelevant.... the ps3 can actually anti-alias pretty well in sd mode (unlike the blocky wii) - and a few people might want the superior quality of image and superior quality sound of BD (massively higher bit rates for both). media also works over SD - so people can use the ps3 as a media system (like myself).

all im trying to say is that for a relatively small amount of cash you can get a much superior console imho that, contracry to popular opinion, has plenty of good games out for it

"Go ahead and add another £500 to your PS3 total if you like, it'll just make you look like an even bigger clown" - wtf?? im sorry mate but its you looking like a clown. how does me wanting a decent quality tv make me a clown? are you saying that anyone who spends over £600 is a clown? im sure plenty of reg users have nice TVs... plus anyone buying a tv from this point onwards would be daft not to get a hd one

you just seem to be spoiling for a flame war - and im not buying.... now toddle off and share your sweets out :)

23. Liam

@ Ben Rose

i was just commenting on the fact that the wii isnt much cheaper then the ps3 after you buy all the necessaries. im not ps3 fanboy... but if someone bad mouths me i respond...

my first response was to the fact that nintendo denied a new DS so someone speculated that it might be a new wii - to which i replied i hope its a next-gen wii... then the flames start.... sigh - thanks for another helpful post :(

i am actually interested in this as the mrs wants a ds - so im curious to see whats new as i might get her a pressie

24. Peter

Wireless upgrades?

Hopefully will see the touted Wii controller capability and possibly some WPA2 support. Be nice to be able to download some new firmware to do all that as I only just recently got my DS.

Although, rosy first impression slightly tainted now by the lack of game variety, unless you want a glorified tamagotchi...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like