back to article HP adds encryption gear for storage systems

Hewlett-Packard is delivering a fresh batch of encryption add-ons and products for tape drives and virtual tape libraries. The additions officially rolling out Monday include a fabric switch with encryption and key management, an encryption kit for MSL Tape Libraries, additional compatibility for HP's key manager appliance and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Evil

How much?

$83,500... Wow... Congrats to HP if they manage to sell 10 of these... since they appear to have an artificial 10000% markup over their actual (current) value.

2. Pondule

LTO4 encryption

How does the encryption add-on work when encryption is already built into HP LTO4 drives, do they disable it and then enable it again?

3. daniel
    Unhappy

@pondule

It was either!

A) installed but not activated. You pay a premium to get the encryption up and running

B) LTO encryption was based on the Caeser cypher, and you pay to get an AES-256 upgrade.

Like when HP sold minisystems fully specced, but you would pay an extra "rental" free to activate another processor or more RAM for the monthly pay runs for example... or IBM selling you a processor + field engineer time to install it when it was already there, just needing to be turned on by the correct DIP switch sequence under the lid on mainframes...

4. Henry Cobb
    Thumb Down

Are HP CPUs that slow?

I find that the physical medium CANNOT keep up when running the encyption on only one of my CPUs.

What is it about HP gear that they have to offload the encyption task?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@daniel

Unless I'm mistaken, LTO-4 uses AES256-GCM encryption by default.

6. brandon

@Henry Cobb

I'd think the reason they offload it to another system is security related. If the keys don't exist in memory accessible to the operating systems processor it would make them much more difficult to compromise.

I could be wrong and they could just inflating the price by providing a hardware solution.

7. Henry Cobb
    Thumb Down

Security?

Brandon,

If the memory of the process with the data is readable then data you are attempting to protect is readable.

Since it needs to be readable in one spot, why push it out to an external interface in that same readable format?

Especially if the data is so important that it needs to be copied offsite to allow for recovery.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like