back to article Dead wife contacts Lancs man via SMS

A Lancashire man whose house has a chilling reputation for poltergeist activity claims he is being haunted by text messages from his dead wife, the Blackpool Gazette reports. Frank Jones, 59, was obliged 12 years ago to have his home in Windsor Avenue, Thornton, exorcised after a malevolent spirit dubbed "The Thing", which had …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. M Brown
    Joke

Not even death

will stop the nagging of a wife. And who buries people with their phones anyway? What would they possibly do? Ring ahead of time to book a good place in the beyond? or make prank calls to people to mess them up?

2. Jason Edmunds
    Joke

What network is she on?

I can't get a bloody signal at my desk, never mind from 6 feet under!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Surely...

They can see which number she is texting him from?

And how does she pay her phone bill from the other side?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

HSP

'Then one night I was lying in bed and a mist came across the room. I wanted to shout out at it, but I couldn't get my words out. My face seemed to be paralysed. It all got too much for me when that happened.'

I've suffered from this experience on and off for years in many different houses... it's called Hypnogogic Sleep Paralysis, and is apparently quite common. It's the opposite of sleep walking in that your brain wakes up but your body doesnt, where as sleep walking is where your body wakes up but your brain is still dreaming, so you act out your dream (night terrors are also like this). HSP is probably one of the main causes for Alien abduction experiences... it's been around for centuries, people of yore used to talk about succubus and being hag-ridden.

Move along now, nothing to see here...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

"No number"

Have the phone companies looked into this? Can we see an example message? Surely some engineer could run a diagnostic on the phone - messages can't just spontaneously appear. I'd like to actually see some PROOF for one of these stories.

6. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Surely...

She's on pay as you ghost.

7. Andy Bell

Colour me sceptical

Lets see some pics of said SMS messages on the phone in question, and someone from the mobile company confirming no SMS messages sent to that phone at that time.

Until then its just some jolly japer sending prank texts to this poor chap.

8. Rob Crawford

Possibly the

SMS messages say "I'm not dead get me out of here"

Still I wish my phone has such a good standby time !

And as soon as I read the description I thought "yeah it's definately sleep paralysis" It's been documented through almost every society as the old hag, alien abductions and ghosts.

9. dav
    Stop

Why?

Why do these people keep getting press attention?

10. Ian

Isn't it just so easy...

...to put things down to the unprovable.

It's amazing how some people get ideas into their head and start associating them no matter how illogical and the fact there's a lack of evidence to prove the point.

Someone lost their son and their wife that smoked heavily within 3 months of each other? I lost both my grandparents within 2 weeks of each other last year but it was hardly a ghostly incident, it was just unfortunate that they were both at that point of their lives where they didn't have long left. For some people this is earlier, some this is later in their lives but ghosts have nothing to do with it.

He says he's seeing things and smelling things at night particularly? Well yeah, people are prone to this when they're tired, when they're woken up from dreaming and stuff.

As for the text messages, he himself just says he presumes they're from his wife, it could be someone playing a prank because they know how gullible he is! Here's an idea, get your phone provider to block the sender if they can't tell you who it is. Inform the deceased wife's provider that that number is no longer in use if you're that concerned.

It's pretty clear this is a guy who has suffered two tragic losses but is also extremely gullible, the combination leads to him believing what he wants to believe whether consciously or subconsciously, either way it's obvious there's nothing in this story to show it deserves any amount of credibility and certainly nothing unexplainable with simple common sense.

11. jai

@Sarah Bee

rofl - oh very good - that's sheer genius

12. PaulK
    Thumb Down

Utter shite

The local rag published this on April 2nd - they couldn't even get that bit right...

13. Steve

Roaming

I dread to think what the roaming charges are from the other side. She's probably already pawned her families souls to pay for it...

Steve.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Re: "Phone Numer"

Actually, checking the phone won't help. If a SMS message has being retrieved without source phone number, it won't help.

The real check should be done in the Carrier's SMS servers as they have the original phone number who sent the SMS.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

What make of phone?

Bets on it being something easily hacked? Say with code which makes it appear to receive texts?

16. Daniel Wilkie

@Sarah Bee & Jai

I'm afraid I must disagree, that was truly terrible... And it's not even a Monday morning where such assaults upon humour could be excused. Hang your head in shame.

On another note, forget paying the bill, where does she charge her phone?

17. Ian Davies
    Thumb Up

@Sarah Bee

[applause applause]

18. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

dayum....

i'd hate to see the phone charges on those things.....

Nice little roaming contract methinks :P

Paris because she would probably take her phone to the grave too.

19. John Donovan
    Pirate

@M Brown

What's wrong with being buried with your mobile phone? People have been buried with their prized posessions for thousands of years. It's an act of respect by the living to the dead to put in the grave that which they feel represents the deceased.

I for one would like to be buried with my 10th century reenactment gear, just to confuse future archaeologists.

20. hi_robb
    Pirate

Network providor

Shame this isn't U.S based, they could use Sprit as their service providor

21. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: @Sarah Bee & Jai

Ach. If you've got it, haunt it.

22. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: @M Brown

>>>I for one would like to be buried with my 10th century reenactment gear, just to confuse future archaeologists.

*spits out tea*

Yeah, I know, me and my relatively subtle sense of humour are being slowly ground down.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Spoofing

It is possible for an employee of a mobile phone operator to send texts with any number they want, at least it is from where I'm working. If he has mates that work for one of these then he should have a word with them, especially if they knew his wife was buried with her mobe.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

@Ian

>> ... both my grandparents ...

You must have a close family.

25. TeeCee Gold badge
    Coat

@Sarah Bee

Spook Messaging Service. You get 200 free a month on that tariff.....

The white sheet with the eyeholes thanks.

26. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

I'd be even more spooked/Impressed.

If it would have been a 3G video call..

Paris as you can bet she has sent some "intresting" texts in her day

27. John Delaney

Isn't it amazing...

...that in this day and age, where world + dog owns some sort of camera, that nobody has ever snapped or filmed convincing evidence of ghostly events taking place?

28. Paul Naylor
    Coat

What was in the message?

Jones says his family has since received strange SMS messages which they believe to be from Sadie. He concluded: "She always had a mobile with her. We buried her with her phone

What did the messages say? "LET ME OUT, I CAN'T BREATHE IN HERE!!!"

Mine's the one with the holy water, crucifx and copy of the the Exorcist in the pockets...

29. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Same thing happened to my wife!

"The Thing had "pulled at their bed covers while they were asleep" and that they "sensed a vile smell and felt something breathing in their ears""

Last Friday, I think it was.

30. Alex Cooper

SMS

Thought everyone knew about the SMS service in the afterlife, Spooky Messaging Service.

Just try replying to one though, you don't have a ghost of a chance.

31. James Haley
    Coat

@John Donovan

10th century re-enactment gear and your mobile phone? that would really mess things up!

32. Pete Wood
    Coat

There's a simpler explanation....

=> The Thing had "pulled at their bed covers while they were asleep"

=> and that they "sensed a vile smell and felt something breathing in

=> their ears".......there was a lot of banging and an earthy smell in

=> the house.

Had they not lived with a pet cat before?

Mine's the one with the muddy paw prints and the dead mouse tucked up the sleeve.....

33. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

@Ian

You've clearly got bored with daytime TV. Haven't you got a job to go to?

34. This post has been deleted by its author

35. James Pickett
    Happy

Wow!

Impressive battery (after)life...

36. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: Sarah Bee, et al.

It looks like this is degrading into a reunion of the script writers for Rent-A-Ghost.

37. tim

WEEE

Doesn't having your phone buried with you contravene WEEE?

38. Anonymous Coward
    Heart

not churning in her grave

With that battery life it must be a Nokia 6310

A shame nobody could get MMS to work in 2002

Nothing wrong with being buried with your phone, but please remember to remove the battery before a cremation.

A heart cos everyone loved the 6310

39. andy gibson
    Coat

@ sarah bee

I thought she was on o2ooooooooooooo (said in a ghostly manner)

40. Sam Liddicott

The logical

To be totally balanced: I'm surprised at the number of people who insist that the logical solution is that there isn't some dead ghost hanging around.

Am I wildly speculating when I suppose that no-one who has responded has any experience with being dead?

I know I haven't, but that doesn't push me to draw un-neccessary conclusions when there clearly is not enough evidence.

Some people really just don't want there to be any dead ghosts hanging around - and I can see why.

It just makes me laugh when they pretend they are being logical and rational about it.

I remember Zaphod Beeblbroxe's seance (which is funny because that IS a fiction) with his grandad who said: "The only reason I'm helping you know is because I couldn't bear to have you and your modern friends lounging around up here"

Mine's the cloak of invisibility.

Sam

41. JeffyPooh
    Alien

Always in houses with hot water heating...

Many haunted houses have been cured by simply draining the air bubbles out of the (inevitable) hot water heating system.

Houses with electric heat are never haunted.

42. Sacha TF Padovani
    Pirate

@D. Wilkie

Must be one of those new gas-powered fuel cell thingies... plus, she's effectively sequestering underground the excess methane.

Spooky, tech-savvy, and eco-friendly!

43. Secretgeek
    Happy

Don't I know you?

Taking the covers, a vile smell and someone breathing in your ear?

I see the media have been interviewing my girlfriend again.

44. g e

Sarah Bee you rock

... but if I die laffing I'll rattle me chains at ya from beyond ;o)

45. Andrew
    Boffin

@Sam Liddicott

Show me evidence of ghosts and I'll concede that there are ghosts.

But

No evidence == no ghosts as far as I'm concerned.

It's pretty straightforward really - no 'belief' either way necessary.

Laugh at that logic :-P

46. michael

hum

pulled at their bed covers while they were asleep" and that they "sensed a vile smell and felt something breathing in their ears".

sounds like my cat when he wants feeding

47. Luther Blissett

Mrs Blisset

Has poltergeist facilities - nothing I can't handle. (So far, touch wood, ha you thought I was being serious). Now let's see, are there any UFOs or alien abduction claims predating Hiroshima? I haven't seen any. So I will make a prediction, in the best spirit of rational science (if anyone remembers that before it was struck by the fetid cold breath of postmodernism).

The UFOs will start coming down in large numbers. When you are crapping your pants, who you gonna call? Ghostbusters? The Vatican? You'd be better calling amanfromMars (ha you thought I was joking).

48. david wilson

Asleep

>>The Thing had "pulled at their bed covers while they were asleep"

How did they know?

49. Seanie Ryan
    Pirate

@Sam Liddicott

"Am I wildly speculating when I suppose that no-one who has responded has any experience with being dead?"

i was dead once but i got better.

boo !

50. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

@Sarah Bee

Well-played, madam. Well-played.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like