When pushed to tell us where its missing 'Yorkfield' wonder chips are, Intel's spin staff told us to "check our favorite e-tailer." W did, probing a number of stores, and found nothing but more delay notices. Last month, a couple of hacks noticed that the quad-core Yorkfield chips were missing. At that time, Intel vowed that the …
Pork Pies and chips
Love it. ;)
Apart from bragging rights, is there any point in having quad cores on desktops?
I have a couple of dual core boxes here and the only thing that appears to actually use both cores fully is the folding@home smp client.
Quad Core on the desktop? That depends on what you use your desktop for. Your average Wanking-and-Banking users don't need quad cores, obviously, but some of us will use whatever CPU you give us for VisualHub, Handbrake, Virtual Machines, etc. The more the merrier!
Future lawsuit from AMD in the making
Are they tearing a page out of AMD's book on how not to release new chips...
and yes, four cores is worth it just for cutting the video rendering that I do
"Porkies" - class!
Point taken. ;)
In my defence, when I see desktop I think home users and general office work, what you describe I think workstation.
Wankers and Bankers? I'm having trouble seeing a difference between those two at this moment in time. ;)
- Crawling from the Wreckage Want a more fuel efficient car? Then redesign it – here's how
- Review Xperia Z3: Crikey, Sony – ANOTHER flagship phondleslab?
- Human spaceships dodge ALIEN BODY skimming Mars
- Ex-US Navy fighter pilot MIT prof: Drones beat humans - I should know
- Downrange Are you a gun owner? Let us in OR ELSE, say Blighty's top cops