back to article DWP extends staff criminal record checks

The Department for Work and Pensions, which manages personal data on virtually every adult in the country, plans to check whether new staff have criminal records. It previously asked all applicants whether they had a criminal record, with an actual check carried out only for appointments to sensitive posts. In response to a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

if only....

They applied this to MPs, bunch of criminals the lot of them (no really the number if MPs involved with police investigations possibly pending charges is huge!).

2. Nomen Publicus
    Boffin

Why?

So, it's now government policy to prevent people with a criminal record working for the government department?

Why?

Some kid done for stealing cars 10 years ago may be perfectly safe to employ today. It seems that the government wants to extend punishment beyond that required by the judge.

We have a rather nasty, petty government that seems to be lashing out in all directions without effect.

3. Kevin Johnston

Don't fight it

Believe from the sixties in the US...Don't fight the man, BE the man....Worked for Red Ken, went from fighting the Government to running London. Obviously like free University education, what was good enough for our current masters is much too good for us and our children so let's find a way to stop anyone else doing it.

4. Tony Humphreys
    Black Helicopters

and the real reason is...

another 100,000 ID cards issued - to bump up the figures a little and fake another survey to say everybody really wants one.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wonder

how many of the 7 "criminals" were actually criminals? I.e. there are a lot of people walking around today who would be shocked to discover that their details are falsely recorded on the Police National Computer as having committed a crime when they are 100% law-abiding citizens.

Take my advice, do a Subject Access Request for yourselves to your local police authority just to make sure it's not happened to you.

These jokers couldn't run a bath much less a secure computer system.

Don't say you haven't been warned.

P.S. I presume the 7 "criminals" were told that they had come up as having criminal records and had the opportunity to correct any erroneous information?

This topic is closed for new posts.