Well, well, well, Sun Microsystems worked DARPA over for some SPARC funding after all. The server maker today celebrated a $44m contract to produce optical chip-to-chip connections technology for the Defense Department's R&D unit. The official line on this arrangement has Sun taking $44.29m over five and a half years to produce …
We love DARPA, we do.
Without Darpa there'd be no internet, and as a consequence, no internet porn.
Oh! and there's this, which one of my team mates thought was trick photography.
There, fixed that for you!
The end result should eventually be modest-sized servers housing another company's CPUs that boast what we would consider today as supercomputer class machines, providing Sun can actually get the tech out the door before Intel or IBM get it nailed.
- Fee fie Firefox: Mozilla's lawyers probe Dell over browser install charge
- Did Apple's iOS make you physically SICK? Try swallowing version 7.1
- Neil Young touts MP3 player that's no Piece of Crap
- Review Distro diaspora: Four flavours of Ubuntu unpacked
- Pics Indestructible Death Stars blow up planets using glowing KILL RAY