Feeds

back to article Arthur C. Clarke dead at 90

Arthur C. Clarke has died at the age of 90. The famed writer and visionary died early Wednesday morning at a hospital near his home in Sri Lanka, The Times reports. Most famous for expanding his short story "The Sentinel" into a novel and screenplay that served as the basis for Stanley's Kubrick's 1968 film 2001: A Space …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Bronze badge

Arthur,

thanks and good bye.

Farewell to a Dreamer

He has inspired a many to reach for the stars.

He gave us a lot. Time for him to find rest and peace.

He will be missed

Ric

Alien

RIP

I recieved joy and inspiration from his books, this is a truly sad day for an SF fan - may he rest in peace.

.. I chose an Alien for the obvious reasons :)

Im sorry Dave.

I grew up reading his books, he will be sadly missed. RIP.

RIP Arthur

Godspeed Arthur, and thanks for the stories.

H

Jobs Halo

You will be missed.

Farewell Arthur. Thank you for making the world a better place.

Unhappy

Bereft

With Aurthur's passing, the Holy Trinity of Sci-Fi is no more. So long, good sir. My life, and many others, will be a little dimmer.

Unhappy

Damn.

Very much Damn. :(

Alien

Thank you Arthur

You have inspired me many times over and lead my imagination to places I never thought possible.

JK
Unhappy

RIP :(

RIP, and thanks for all the fish. :(

Alien

Arthur C. Clarke dead at 90

I was trying to sort out why that headline hit me as hard as it did and I think it's because knowing that someone like Arthur C. Clarke is around is enough to keep a little spark of hope, of optimism, burning in the back of your mind.

What a loss.

Deepest sympathy to his family and friends.

Heart

You will be missed by many

And thanks for your works.

tim

meh

Your books never did much for me. But you weren't bad as a futurist and inspirer to others.

Words to live by....

My God, it's full of stars!

Unhappy

And thus an era comes to an end

With the death of Sir Arthur we have lost the last of the writers I, and I suspect many other, consider to be the foundations stones of the modern Science Fiction era.

I found Sir Arthurs stories were easy to read and yet challenging, forcing us to look at our role in the cosmos, especialy in The Rama Cycle. he appealed to a wide range of ages.

R.I.P. Sir Arthur, knowing you bought enjoyment and wonder into the lives on many. Tonight I shall name on of my ships in Eve Online in your honour.

My we find you...

On Rama.

Thank you for your stories and my dreams.

Anonymous Coward

another great one

another great one has gone and will be sorely missed as much as his coligues the likes of asimov ,lem,verne, wells and many others...

but we must be thankful for the inspiration and legacies he and others had left behind....

Heart

RIP

Truly a person who served as an inspiration for all of us.

Arthur, thank-you for your works.

May he rest in peace...

Bronze badge
Happy

Not your sci-fi I enjoyed so much...

Mr Clarke my happiest memories were not that it was Dr Who that had me hiding behind the sofa aged 8, but your Mysterious World TV series, it scared me witless and lead me into the fascinating world of the paranormal.

Thanks and RIP.

Alien

The world is a poorer place for your passing

Thank you for a lifetime of pleasurable, inspirational reading, but most of all for "the City and the Stars".

My God...

...it's full of worms.

Heart

missed.....

Classic SF writer

Anonymous Coward

IT Systems Engineer

Clarke helped to push the boundries of those limitations placed on intellect, those limitations of the world of Here and Now in which we are living. To borrow from Wordsworth, the World is Too Much With Us - but thankfully, not with all of us, thanks to people like Clarke. His writings challenge all of us to look beyond what we think we know, to consider what Might Be. I can only hope that Childhood's End has finally arrived for him (whether or not there is More Afterwards), and that we'll see more of his sort of dreaming in the world...before it comes for each of us.

Goodspeed, to Anywhere, Nowhere, and Everywhere else, Arthur, thank you for making my Here and Now all the easier for where Else my thoughts have gone, with your help.

Trevor William Fondren

Legacy of inspiration

Just to add re. A.C.'s involvement/influence beyond the "obvious" (2001...).

Almost the last link to SF fandom's old guard- attendee at the 1st formal, organised SF convention in the world in 1937, fanzine editor, astronautics fan, &c., and not /just/ communication satellites, but also fully immersive VR (& RPGs), AI & genetic engineering in "The City and the Stars", alone, decades before cyberpunk "invented" the niche.

Thanks and RIP, Arthur & your "Ego" for your vision and service to thinking humanity.

Unhappy

RIP

Even the greatest have to leave sometime....

Alien

The Last Rendezvous

Hopefully it will be full of stars, as you pass to the next world - wherever you dreamed that my be. Not many people can live to see their dreams become a reality; and im sure many more of yours will be achieved sometime.

So long.

Go

Thanks & Goodbye...

City and the stars changed me, Childhood's end gave me hope, your lmitless imagination lives on in the stars - much love; and sadness for no more stories.

With untold respect ~ Tony F Paulazzo.

Silver badge

RIP

Close the pod bay doors, Hal.

Heart

I Cried.

'nuff said by better wordsmiths. RIP

MrT
Bronze badge
Thumb Up

What still lies in store...

'Fountains of Paradise' - I'm looking forward to a ride in the space elevator.

After all, 'as a futurist and inspirer to others', (well put, Tim - though I happened to also enjoy his books) Sir Arthur's visons and ideas easily win over Kevin Warwick's...

Inspiration

Like many other writers, ACC made us think about what the future might hold and how much better it could be.

The world is a little poorer for his passing - but his books will live on, and hopefully encourage others to aim for the stars.

Thank you Sir Arthur. RIP

Jobs Halo

The Nine Billion Names of God

".. and the stars went out. One by one."

And you Arthur.

Unhappy

So long Arthur

I really though you'd live for ever

What a man...

...what a visionary, what books, what a loss.

R.I.P Arthur and thanks for the hours and hours of fascinating and inspiring joy.

Chris

Thumb Up

No title required thanks....

Hats off to you sir!!!

RIP.

... Should have the headline spot on El Reg for a week or more.. /hint /hint /hint

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

Thanks for showing us the magic, Arthur.

Heart

RIP

Hearing this news really came as a shock, he has always been around and been such a great contributer to science fiction and making people think. Sad to see he has passed away. Best wishes to his family and my thoughts are with them. Arthur, thanks for everything!

Silver badge
Alien

Who will now...

predict the next generation of travel? Who will predict our next power sources?

He got so many things right, maybe he was indeed an Alien.

RIP ACC

Unhappy

RIP

I saw a photo of him wearing a T shirt recently. It said:

"I invented the communications satellite and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."

AH

RIP

"And in the night sky above the stars began to go out."

Will be missed.

Thumb Up

His biggest legacy may be still to come

Father of the geo-stat satellite, grandfather of the space elevator?

RIP Arthur.

Silver badge

What I have always loved about Arthur C. Clarke

is that whilst hoping for signals from ET, he kept his feet so solidly on the ground. An open mind, but his brain never fell out.

For me...

...it was The Fountains of Paradise.

Truly sad. You'll be missed.

Sad start to the day

The Rama series of books are literally the best books I ever read. I've read the set several times now and each time it doesn't fail to astonish.

jai
Silver badge
Alien

rip

a sad loss indeed

i never read as many of his books as i wanted to - but those i did were great

hopefully something good might come of this - it might prompt someone to finally get around to working out how to build a space elevator in his memory - i'd love to see one of those in action

I will miss the great man

I loved Rendezvous with Rama and Childhoods End really affected me when I read it at age 13.

I also read a quote from him that in future there would be less violence in the world due to better communications of live video by war reporters. Shame about that one, right on one of the two points.

I will miss not having him alive in the world.

Alien

Time to forget Arthur C Clarke

...I'm sorry [Dave], I can't do that.

Thank you and Godspeed

I can't begin to express how Rendezvous with Rama influenced and inspired me. It made me think beyond what I knew to what might be. It played a major part in making me who I am today. Thank you for sharing your visions with all of us.

Godspeed, and may there be stars.

so long....

What a great man, and a great mind... and to cap it all, there were 42 comments when I read this piece...

RIP

Pirate

Will he meet the beings...

...that existed at the end of 2001? I could never quite get that bit.

RIP anyway

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.