AMD’s 700-series chipsets covers all the motherboard options that a gamer could require for the quad-core Phenom processor. There’s the 790FX with support for CrossFireX to handle three or four graphics cards, the 790X that does CrossFire with two cards, and the 770 that combines Phenom with a single PCI Express (PCIe) 2.0 slot …
...cheap and cool. now, if they can just get linux graphics drivers on any distro other than Suse or Redhat, they can have the cash for my next machine.
If hybrid crossfire is effective in using integrated graphics for the windows desktop, etc, and only enabling the graphics card for gaming - that'd be significant power savings and justify the usage of hybrid crossfire in a way your article did not cover.
sideband memory on the motherboard and overclocking the igp get much more result (j&w say the managed 2975 in 3d)
also forget the be series, the athlon 4850 at 45w or phenom 9150e at 65w will give a big boost (don't forget phenom comes with ht 3.0 which doubles the speed)
I think that's the angle nVidia are taking with their incarnation of Hybrid Crossfire, imaginatively named Hybrid SLI. Specifically the bit called HybridPower.
That and the Vista-only requirement make me think it is simply a feature of DX10.1 that both houses are trying to market as original.
Another use for Hybrid would be...
A cheap multimonitor machine, right? With both inboard and dedicated graphics you can run up to 4 monitors with no multiplexers. We could use this for some workstations on our company.
so if I'm a gamer then...
its still the 8800GT all the way ?
- Vid Google opens Inbox – email for people too thick to handle email
- RUMPY PUMPY: Bone says humans BONED Neanderthals 50,000 years B.C.
- Pic Forget the $2499 5K iMac – today we reveal Apple's most expensive computer to date
- Geek's Guide to Britain Kingston's aviation empire: From industry firsts to Airfix heroes
- Is your home or office internet gateway one of '1.2 MILLION' wide open to hijacking?