Feeds

back to article Surveillance immunity bill for telecoms tries livin’ la vida loca

Only the paranoid survive. But which ones - the kind who choose to live in solitude, à la Unabomber Ted Kaczynski, patiently loading and unloading their weaponry to protect themselves from the dystopian techno-state? Or the kind living in Washington, who yearn for proto-totalitarian surveillance authority, all the better to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Heart

Paging Mr. Colbert..

Fifteen minutes of fresh material have just been delivered to your doorstep. Fresh material, not the stale crap concerning salacious governors.

The mighty Colbert Nation awaits with bated breath.

Silver badge
Thumb Up

What's more dangerous?

A jihadist with a backpack bomb trying to blow up your govt buildings for ideological purposes, or a paranoid schizophrenic trying to blow up govt buildings because he thinks they are tapping his phone and internet, legally, without his consent?

Hands up who wants to guess which one there is more of?

Hint: It won't be the jihadist.

The idea that "This bill is intended to ensure the mental health of Americans; yet, no American’s health can be fully secured if they are under attack by a terrorist or facing the potential threat of terrorist attack,” is perhaps one of the worst, loosest excuses for further wiretapping that I can think of - truly one of the finest examples of 'please let someone believe this is actually related, please please please' that I have ever heard :-D

*head smack*

The rest of the world must think we Americans, by and large, are idiots. I can't wait for the Republican party to die next election.

Joke

The sad story ...

... of Dylan Jayne reminded me of this one,

After numerous rounds of "We don't even know if Osama is still alive", Osama himself decided to send George Bush a letter in his own handwriting to let him know he was still in the game.

Bush opened the letter and it contained a single line of coded message:

370H-SSV-0773H

Bush was baffled, so he e-mailed it to Condoleezza Rice. Condi and her aides hadn't a clue either, so they sent it to the FBI.

No one could solve it at the FBI so it went to the CIA, and then to MI6 .

Eventually they asked the Mossad for help.

Almost immediately the Mossad emailed the White House with this reply: "Tell the President he's holding the message upside down."

Go

Re: *head smack*

we wouldn't say you are all idiots - just the minority of you that voted for a GOP president in the first place

Flame

if it was a minority, how come Bush is President and not AlGore or Kerry?

Coat

Easy, you just need to win more electoral college seats, not a larger percentage of the overall vote.

There is a half decent explanation on the dreaded wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Electoral_College#Losing_the_popular_vote

Oh, him, he's picking a voters pocket....

Anonymous Coward

...you mean you aren't?

re: head smack

"The rest of the world must think we Americans, by and large, are idiots. I can't wait for the Republican party to die next election."

Sadly, by and large, we Americans *ARE* idiots. Yes, there are many of us who are intelligent, but there are many more who are idiots.

"if it was a minority, how come Bush is President and not AlGore or Kerry?"

That's an easy question -- because Bush illegally stole the election. And no, I'm not making some bleeding-heart liberal conspiracy-theory comment here. It's documented that at least one or two states in both the 2000 and 2004 elections simply threw out many of their citizens' votes (remember Florida and the "hanging chads" issue?). When you selectively throw out votes from certain left-leaning districts, it's easy to manipulate the vote to go the way you want. It's also the perfect way to show people that their vote doesn't count, and convince them to not bother voting (to condition them for the future when we no longer have voting).

As for it being "crazy" to attach retroactive immunity to telecoms carriers as part of a mental health bill... I'd say it's no more crazy than attaching the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act (UIGEA) to a port security bill. What *IS* crazy, and I'm very shocked over, is that enough reps actually read this bill to know that it had been hijacked.

Emblematic example

Of the Nu Insect Overlards sense of humour.

Not of course news. We should think that having criminals fight to the death with religious fundamentalists for the public entertainment was sick and perverted also - were it not that this piece of Roman imperialist history has been elevated beyond the winners' prerogative of rewriting the narratives into the hyper-real, where it exists as entertainment product, viz Gladiator, computer games, etc.

Self-deprecation's okay but.......

If I were living in Britain, I wouldn't be pointing any fingers at "American idiots".

Dead Vulture

Our misplaced fear

"no American’s health can be fully secured if they are under attack by a terrorist or facing the potential threat of terrorist attack"

Especially so if they're being whipped into a frenzy of fear and paranoia by the government and media, all for political gain. (Hey, isn't that what those dang terrists do, too, make us fearful and paranoid for their own benefit? Will the *real* threat to Truth, Justice and the American Way please stand up?)

Not to mention how hard it is to secure your health when you can't afford insurance, or you have insurance but the private company providing it puts profit before provision of care, which Representative Peter Hoekstra's party believes is an acceptable situation. But that's a whole other problem.

Thumb Down

@ Steven Raith

The 'crazed killer' B.S. again.

How many paranoid (or any other type of) schizophrenic bombers can YOU name?

HINT: about 18 less than were involved in the 2001 attack on the WTC.

& head smack - 2004 elections

voter turnout 59%, of which Bush got 50.73%, i.e. over 70% of voters chose not to vote for Bush.

Unhappy

@John O'Grady (re: *head smack*)

Yes, John, a lot of us DO think you're idiots, but you're sadly mistaken if you think it's simply because you have Republicans in charge. From our advantaged position outside the fence, Democrats and Republicans are indistinguishably corrupt and enthusiastic supporters of totalitarianism. Both sides love to hate and believe that Americans and the US are somehow superior to the rest of the world. From out here, John, your current crop of presidential candidates and both parties are ALL scary for the world at large, but not so scary as all those American voters who make the whole mess possible.

Oh, and the incessant whining about how Bush somehow stole the election? Give us a break already. You morons were choosing between two morons and you got one - what's to complain about?

This topic is closed for new posts.