back to article Microsoft offers free Office storage to web plebs

Microsoft has opened its beta of a suite of new online Office features to all comers. Office Live Workspaces has been in private testing since October. It allows desktop Office owners to share and collaborate on documents. It's the future. Well, basically its some free online storage (about 1,000 average-sized Office files), …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Not That Andrew
    Joke

<evil laugh>

I'm going to sign up and put up 1000 odf documents!!! MWAH HAH HAH HAH!!!!!!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yeah, thanks...

As with GApps I'll say thanks. What if I want to access my documents on a plane? S**t I forgot to download from my great collaborative space at Microsoft (or Google). Waste of time, especially with 160GB disk in my laptop.

3. Simon
    Linux

Linux compatible

Surprisingly I signed up using swiftfox & feisty fawn.

As I found a 5Gb storage area I uploaded a few deb files and a couple of codec packs.

Cheers Bill! :-)

4. John
    IT Angle

Zoho does this already doens't it?

Doesn't Zoho office already do all this? Remember that nothing's that new.

Just my 2c

5. robert

signed up a while ago

got an invite to join the beta a while ago and installed the office add-on thing. Used it a couple of times to save documents from home for opening at work, and vice-versa, but I still find it simpler just to email myself a copy of anything like that I might need..I always forget to take my usb stick with me so end up doing this quite a lot. Your meant to be able to allow other people access to your 'space' so that many of you can work on documents simultaneously, but I havent tried that yet.

6. alain williams Silver badge

And give your docs to the world

Given the M$ tradition of great security, we can expect to find people downloading other people's private stuff.

How long do you think before a twit in a govt dept decides to put a few thousand people's social security & ... details up there ?

7. Dunstan Vavasour
    Pirate

Business Use

I'll just upload the Excel spreadsheet with all my customers' names, addresses and bank details.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But what does it all MEAN?

And what's WRONG with WordPerfect 5.1 for DOS?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Akshully

I think its rather nice.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

How they number the news ?

Hundreds and thousands signed up ?

May be, with most new things on the net, in order to even try it, you HAVE to sign up, but how many are actually using it ?

Is this the same as 100m Vista SOLD !!!! ?? but 90m copies unused ??

Anyway, I would trust MS as far as I can throw it, they are already doing a great job spying on our desktops, now they want to save the time by just scanning your docs in one central location ? When Ballmer said in his email 'They dont trust us', hes spot on, see ? This is what Harvard educated students learn, how to read and understand your business.

But I am sure the UK Gov would jump to the chance, now any data lost, they could at least try to blame Microsoft

11. Pascal Monett Silver badge

next to useless for anything mildly important to business

You mean, like Windows and Office ?

Flamers, start your engines !

This topic is closed for new posts.