back to article Apple posts iPhone 1.1.4 update

Zibri, the coder behind the latest iPhone jailbreaking and unlocking app, ZiPhone, has warned handset owners not to upgrade to the newly released version 1.1.4 firmware until the tool has been fully tested with the update. Apple posted the iPhone OS update last night. So far, all it's said about the new version is that the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Inspector_Morse
    Alert

And the French version?

Since the French outlawed the bundling of iPhone with a single (monopoly) carrier, what's the implication of a French iPhone user installing the update, if indeed this is yet another attempt by Apple to reverse unlocking?

Please add a pair of Steve Jobs icons a la Gates

2. Tony Smith, Editor, Reg Hardware (Written by Reg staff)

Re. Steve Jobs icons

Er... we do

3. Jason Pepper
    Jobs Horns

it didn't work for me..

I upgraded mine last night (after some wine, it seemed like a good idea)..

Ziphone ran fine, but then gave me an error at the end..

"ERROR: ziphone returned 1"

After that the iphone is in emergency call mode only.. although it still receives text messages on a vodafone sim.. Guess I'll be the guy switching my sim back to my trusty blackberry till Zibri does his thing

Upgrade in haste, repent at leisure !

4. jai

re: And the French version?

i don't see why there would be any problem with the French version.

if it is allowed to work with other SIMs because it is an officially unlocked one, then Apple's update is not likely to suddenly lock it.

this update only relocks those iphone that have been hacked to be unlocked

5. Andrew
    Jobs Halo

@Inspector_Morse

"Please add a pair of Steve Jobs icons"

<----- Are you blind?

6. Frank Bough
    Thumb Down

Inspector

..perhaps you can get Lewis to track down those elusive Jobs icons for you...

7. Kevin Kenny
    Paris Hilton

re: "Please add a pair of Steve Jobs icons"

Funny, I aways thought they were Steve "the barmer" Balmer icons. Twins? Maybe it's the balding pate and grey hair or something or maybe I need to get new glasses.

Liv Tyler cos I love them ears.

8. Chad H.
    Alert

Rumours online

Rumours online suggest the bug fixes include improved handling of mulitple open pages in the browser, imrpoved phone reception and imrpoved speed in moving from no network/Network (like when you come out of a tunnel), improved Bluetooth handling and fixes a bug with SMS ordering...

http://www.iphoneatlas.com/2008/02/26/iphone-114-boosts-cell-signal-strength/

http://www.iphoneatlas.com/2008/02/26/iphone-114-fixes-bluetooth-sms-ordering-bugs/

9. Dana W
    Jobs Halo

Update.

I just ran it, seems good to me, and it didn't even remove my custom ringtones. "The again I'm an AT&T customer" So I didn't have to worry about third party phone hacks working"

I'm happy with it. And if the rumors of improved signal strength turn out to be true I'll be ecstatic. I always thought there was something slightly wonky about 1.1.3.

10. Chad H.

@ Kevin

The clue is in the mouseover text, AngelJobs is listed as iFan, Devil jobs as iHate.

11. Rob
    Jobs Halo

jailbreakenededness

I installed 1.1.4 last night, lost the jalbreak obviously, haven't re done it yet as I'm enjoying what appears to be massively improved battery life? Perhaps I had something dodgy installed before, signal does appear to be generally a bit better too

Just for whoever mentioned it above, when I jailbreaked/jailbroke mine and my girlfrieds 1.1.3 iPhones with ziphone, both returned that "error returned 1 " type message, but worked fine anyway

12. heystoopid
    Linux

Now we know

Now we know why Apple will always be the one looking in the window wondering why they were sent out to the cold !

13. Dana W
    Jobs Halo

1.1.4=Better signal!

I'd heard rumors of this but I was doubtful, so I took my iPhone out today to a few places I know to be weak signal/low bar areas and there is a detectable performance boost!

My favorite no signal seat at Starbucks had three bars, even in an elevator I've dropped calls in I kept a good signal.

The issue of it occasionally dropping my bluetooth headset seem to have stopped too. The shiny app set may be disappointed by lack of new toys, but I have to call this the best revision yet for pure function. I am VERY pleased.

14. Inspector_Morse
    Unhappy

@ Kevin Kenny, Editor et al

Yes, I too thought it was Bulmer, and never looked at the mouse-over texts.

Anyway, mea culpa.

15. Kenny Millar
    Jobs Halo

iPod Touch gets the same update too.

Yip, 1.1.4 for iPod out at the same time.

16. Chad H.
    Heart

the rumours are true.

on the train into work this morning, really noticed the signal improvement, usually when I get out of the tunnel Im waiting 5 mins in the station before I get signal again, now I get it again long before the train stops.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

An Apple fix a day...

Keeps the pesky Ziphone away?

Mine's the green one with the spots.

18. Waghi
    Boffin

Pls help me how to update i am very new at this

guys i want to update from 1.1.2 to 1.1.4 can someone guide me on this and how to jailbreak it or unlock it after updating.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like