back to article Legal attack dogs chase software pirates from eBay

Adobe and Symantec have unleashed legal attack dogs on nine individuals accused of selling pirated software on eBay. The lawsuits, filed in US District Court in the Northern District of California, are the biggest round filed to date by the Software & Information Industry Association (SIIA). They're part of the SIIA's Auction …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

eBay: The Shopping Mall of Fools

'nuff said...

2. Andy Bright

eBay..

I prefer El Reg's description, 'Tat Bazaar' .. :D

I wonder if you can make a living picking out warez and sending it in. I believe that might be the only way you could make decent money from eBay these days.

Thing is I always wondered why people get so upset when they receive the wrong item from eBay. Surely one piece of tat is more or less equal to another? You may think you bought a toaster, but if a world-class piece of toast in the shape of the virgin Mary arrives instead, surely that's a winner?

3. Alan Donaly
    Pirate

For legal reasons I wouldn't,

characterize every piece of Adobe or Symantec software offered on ebay as pirated but... Arr! like shooting fish in a bucket.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

symantec

you would be stupid on 2 counts then.

1: buying symantec software cheap on ebay and thinking its genuine.

2: installing it on your computer, thinking it is good.

5. Andy Worth

@DeFex

You missed

or 3) Guessing that it might be pirated and still paying for it.....

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Gumtree..

Firstly i've bought alot of stuff on eBay which has been as described, not 100% deals have been great, but i've never been 'ripped off'. I've gotten goods quite cheaply, saved myself a lot, sure some products are 'grey market', but none of the products have failed on me.

My only bad experiences were getting a product slightly damaged, but they replaced it for me with a completely new unit and my only additional expense being postage back to them, and ordering a product and the dealer 'disappearing' after i'd received the goods (but the goods still worked fine!).

Secondly, gumtree. Some people prefer it, but every time i look there all the cheap laptops, ipods, etc.... too cheap, some seem to be nigerian scammers, and some i question if they 'came off the back of a truck...' (lots of laptops there for £200-300 of all kinds of spec, when even dodgy stores like 'exchange' places seem to mark their products up an additional £100+ for their lappys)

7. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

That's all nice and good...

... If the programme in question (the Get Even programme) was accessible to users outside the US!

And if it hadn't expired on January 31 (two weeks ago).

8. Rick Eastwood
    Thumb Up

This, I dont mind

Now this is OK in my eyes. These tools flogging this ripped off are making money off Adobe etc and deserve the full weight of the law. So thatll be at worst a slap on the wrist and dont do it again.

They're not some kid in his bedroom downloading the latest Britney album who will only ever stick it on his ipod. But hes the one that Brown and his fellow nazis are going after and want to do god knows what to.

There's a massive difference so get em off eBay.

9. jon
    Coat

@Anonymous Coward

And guess who owns gumtree.com...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/05/19/ebay_gumtree/

10. Graham Bartlett

Interesting that they're doing something about it

Only two years after I reported having bought pirated Symantec software on eBay, reporting it directly to them and to their BSA-style piracy-tracking organisation, complete with full details of the guy who sold it to me, and a statement that I'd be willing to help in any way with this guy's prosecution. Did they come back to me? Did they buggery. So I'm sorry, but Symantec can stew in their own juice if they've only just got round to doing something about this.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fool and his (her) money

Anyone who would pay anything for crudware from Symantec deserves everything they get IMHO pirated or not.

Norton Utilities was a good programme until Symantec bought the name (I'm talking mac here). Since then it has gotten successively worse in whatever incarnation.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

You pays your money...

... you takes your chance....

eBay = Tat Bazaar

13. A J Stiles
    Pirate

Serves them right

I have never paid for a piece of software in my life, and I don't intend to start now.

What do Adobe supply, that you can't replace with Open Source equivalents?

What do Symantec really do, that they would still need to do if a certain so-called "operating system" espoused the concept of Privilege Separation (as can be found in certain Open Source operating systems)?

A pox on all their houses -- the Hoarders and the Pirates alike.

This topic is closed for new posts.