back to article Nokia parades recycled handset

A Nokia executive has shown off a concept handset made from recycled cans at this year's Mobile World Congress (MWC) show in Barcelona. Can't see the video? Download Flash Player from Adobe.com During a keynote speech, the Finnish mobile phone giant's chief executive, Olli-Pekka Kallasvuo, pulled a silver clamshell handset …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Vincent Curry
    Thumb Down

How about building products that last?

Notebooks made from recycled materials to demonstrate their environmental credentials? How about not handing the notebooks out at all?

Phones made from 50% recycled materials? How about phones that are built to last? That way you don't need to use the 50% non-recycled materials.

Whoops - just realised. Phones that last would mean that people would have less reason to replace their existing handsets, and the notebooks were no doubt an important (environmental) branding exercise.

2. Lance

How about better software

How about fixing bugs in the OS rather than just releasing a new model.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

duh !

Lets face it , all us consumers are partly to blame. After all most of us would be just as well served by a 3310 or 6310 from 2000. So if the insane cycle of renewing your phone every 12-24 months ended, and if Nokia et al didn't release a new phone every week and if we all had to pay retail price for our phones .... sorry just realised that would screw up the manufacturers' business model and that of all the big european cellcos.

4. Giles Jones Gold badge

Phone can last, but technology moves on

Sure, make a phone out of metal with replaceable parts, it would be heavy, expensive, ugly and in a few years time obsolete.

Technology moves on, if we'd designed a CRT TV in the 70s that could last 40 years it wouldn't be capable of being used with digital TV. Also flat screen technology is the norm now and HD is growing in popularity.

5. Ryan

Phone can last, but technology moves on

Very true, I have a phone from 2000 thats still going strong, it's my back up/holiday phone if I'm going camping or anything potentially mucky. Like it or not the current phone situation, like most things, is about supply and demand and is unlikely to change dramatically, therefore looking at ways of reducing the impact the actually handsets have on the planet seems like a very good idea to me. It's a shame they couldn't make a working prototype but I'm fairly sure I've heard something on this story before, not necessarily connected to Nokia though, and there is a proposed timeline for working recycled/more eco-friendly handsets.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like