Feeds

back to article Armed police swoop on MP3-packing mechanic

An innocent Stoke-on-Trent garage mechanic enjoyed a spell in the cells after armed cops held him at gunpoint having mistaken his MP3 player for a pistol, the Daily Mail reports. Darren Nixon, 28, was grooving to some tunes on his black 4GB Philips on his way to catch a bus on 26 January "when a woman thought she saw him …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Stop

OK

So from now all we have to do is find a phonebox/PAYG mobile and give the police a good description of someone we don't like and they get added to the DNA database (along with the attendant rubber glove treatment)?

I shall bear that in mind next time somebody bumps me on the street and doesn't apologise or somebody cuts me up at traffic lights.

Ho ho ho

Another innocent on the DNA database. Ho ho ho.

They'll get us all in the end.

Anonymous Coward

Let me guess.

Here's one side of the conversation:

Ring ring.

Woman: "Police please!"

Woman: "I just saw a man with something that looked like a gun in his hands, on the bus."

Woman: "I, yes, I think so."

Woman: "He was holding it, he might've been aiming it I suppose. Yes, yes I'm sure he could well have been. It was definitely in his hands."

Woman: "Yes, I remember what he looked like."

«snip»

Woman: "Thank you very much, I just felt so panicky when I saw it! Bye bye."

--

Note to everyone who does this: report what you _see_, not what you think you saw. If you're uncertain, then be so. Don't make up an answer to avoid seeming silly. That is all.

Thumb Up

That's a Denial of Service attack, that is

Fantastic way to piss someone off, just phone in a report that they might be packing something. Voila.

Alert

excuse me the party is too loud

So this guy is now on the DNA database

lucky him

so if i want to realy annoy one of my neighbours all i have to do is claim to have seen a gun in there posetion

then break into my own home and plant some of there dna in some way

slam dunk soloution to neighbours from hell

Bronze badge
Flame

And imagine...

... if he had reached for his MP3 player to turn it off. Another shooting incident like the Stockwell tube one.

Anonymous Coward

Future versions might cause some confusion

Imagine the time it'll take to sort out when MP5 players are released!

Paris Hilton

DNA evidence

Awesome, go out listening to an MP3 player and get your DNA put on file. AFAIK that stuff is still kept permanently on file even if you where innocent of any crime.

Paris Hilton? Probably something to do with DNA collection.

Jay

DNA?

I suppose it would be foolish to think they destroyed the DNA (and other) records once they discovered he hadn't technically done anything wrong?

Thumb Down

Predicatably enough...

"Nixon was fingererprinted, swabbed for DNA and had his mugshot taken before being released. "

And exactly how long would it take this completely innocent person to get these records, which shouldn't have been taken in the first place, removed? "Sorry for any inconvenience"? My *rse.

DNA Database

OK so if it was all a big mistake then I am sure the police will be more than happy to remove the victims details from the DNA database then?

I would get my coat but I might get shot for wearing it as it might have gas lighter in the pocket...

Flame

I hope...

... He will demand a full inquiry into what will happen with his DNA samples, and everything else. I would. And I hope he's going to the papers with this.

Black Helicopters

Thank god he wasn't brazilian

Or he wouldn't have been around to tell the tale.

Black helicopters because they're hovering behind my while I listen to choons on my iPod.

Coat

Problem solved

If he'd had a white iPod this wouldn't have happened.

It's his own fault, I mean a _black_ MP3 player? What did he expect? I for one can clearly see the confusion caused to the poor woman who reported it, small square black objects being as they are easily mistaken for fricking great firearms.

Mine's the trenchcoat with ammo pockets and built-in shotgun harness

well ok but

the police have to react to reports of fire arms but after it was obvious that he was not a "mental gun nut" they should have grovled and releced him and removed all records is suspision life time prof now?

Anonymous Coward

Is his DNA kept?

Do the police have to destroy the DNA & finger prints now? Or can we all expect to have our details taken in the same way?

Unhappy

Still guilty even after proven innocent?

Okay, so purge the DNA sample from the database and his fingerprints? No? Oh for a free and fair society!

Surely the cops should arrest the person who "mistook" this guy for a shooter-packing mechanic and do them for "wasting police time" ... ding! Another set of DNA and prints for the database.

Coat

He's lucky

Police? Public transport? Guns? He's a lucky man!

Mine's NOT the big padded one...

Silver badge
Paris Hilton

Did they

But did they check that all the files on his player were properly authorised?

The penalties for copyright infringement can be worse than the penalties for illegal firearms .....

Thumb Down

Payback

Time to sue the bitch that falsely accused him and got his DNA added to the database.

Silver badge
Black Helicopters

Lucky he wasn't stockwelled!

By moving his hand towards the "gun" to switch his music off, it's a relief the police didn't respond with a hail of bullets. Perhaps he didn't look islamic enough?

Thumb Down

@Ferry Boat

Yeah, its lovely that isn't it. They won't be happy till big brother/nanny has all of us on there

Flame

Gordy Clown

Just looked like he had a gun in his pocket along with the rest of the twits in parliament

Get those criminals on every database so they can lose all their details instead of ours ASAP

Ian

DNA?

On what basis did they take his DNA, one wonders?

Lucky he didn't have a table leg..

..in a carrier bag or they'd have plugged him.

Pirate

...and the myopic granny?

...gets a friendly visit from the coppers for a nice cuppa with biscuits and a quick chat about what a good citizen she is? She should be thrown in the clinker too.

Thumb Down

Seems oddly familiar

Seem to recall another well known case over there, July 2005, where the "suspect" was released with 'no futher action'...might help if the law enforcement wasn't trigger happy.

http://gizmonaut.net/bits/suspect.html

pope on a friggin rope

So the police "capture" this man and find that there is no gun on him.

So they arrest him anyway.

Uhhh...

Go

GORDON BROWN HAS A GUN!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe. This tip might be incorrect.

Jobs Horns

OK! you are spot on

Blame the stupid lady or Steve Jobs for designing the gun oh I mean the Ipod, but can't really blame the police, it's standard procedures. Just bad luck mate......

@ test man

Exactly.

And the conduct of the police in this matter does not surprise me, a quick 'sorry for the inconvenience' is bullshit, I would still feel like a suspected criminal without a full proper apology AND my DNA being taken off the database.

How could he have had a gun?

I'm afraid I don't understand something here -- how could he possibly have had a gun when they're illegal?

Still, I'm glad that the police took a swab of this guy's DNA -- I mean, the DNA database now contains one more innocent person, which has to be a good thing, right?

He should count himself lucky though, really, at least he wasn't shot for not responding or held for copyright theft.

Thumb Up

Gordon Brown?

So in theory we could organise a mass phone-in (police telethon?) where we all describe a strange man walking into 10 Downing Street who looks like Gordon Brown and appeared to be waving an AK47 around?

Sounds like a plan... let's call it "Operation Unelected Asshat"

Thumb Down

Hmmm

Okay, well considering the description that the police got:

"We received a report from a member of the public who had seen a male in the area who had appeared to pull a hand gun from a jacket pocket, grip it with both hands and aim it towards something."

If indeed the caller clearly stated that he had a hand gun and used it in the manner reported then the police acted correctly, the fault was with the 'terrified' member of the public (read:lying busybody) in mis-reporting the call; It's lucky we didn't end up with another De Menezes.

The problem does still remain of his DNA being on permenant file (unless he wants to fight for years to get it cleared off).

Dead Vulture

Product Recall

HMG has notified all UK citizens that the product 'liberty' has been permanently withdrawn due to incompatibilities with the 'War on Terror' product.

In a press release a government spokesperson said the new War on Terror product had conflicted with the older product and as the new product was proving to be so lucrative to to the UK economy the Government had been forced to withdraw it.

The press release went on to state that the following products would be developed to replace liberty.

Detention without trial

Deportation to countries with the death penalty

Enforcement of democracy in the Middle East

Support of dictators supporting enforcement of democracy in neighboring states in the Middle East

Retention of DNA samples of people convicted of nothing

The spokesperson said that in order to develop the above products all UK citizens would be required to voluntarily accept an ID card. Obviously any one not volunteering would be classified as a terrorist and forced to carry an ID card if they where ever released from prison.

The spokescopper concluded:

"The description was extremely good and if that's the report we get we have to act quickly."

Apart from the gun bit.

(Written by Reg staff)

Re: Hmmm

He really should have refused the DNA swab. You can do that, you know. There's very little information you are obliged to give the police when you are arrested, although they will phrase their entreaties in such a way as to make it sound like you have no choice, and if you're a decent law-abiding type you're likely to be dazed and anxious to be a good citizen and do as they tell you. Polite refusal just means you might have an hour or two longer in the cell, but better that than ending up on the database for something you didn't do.

Alert

iMac-10 ?

Surely Apple's R&D department should be working on a gun shaped mp3 player/smartphone? "Just point at your temple and pull the trigger to shuffle songs"

You could even build in a FPS 'lazerquest style' shooter game, playable in any public area... beat that Nintendo Wii!

And anyway - don't you think you should at least have to be charged with some sort of offence before going on the DNA database?

Alien

Judging the Judger

Let me guess...he was of a darker complexion than white and the lady that phoned it in had likely never seen an MP3 player up close. That is it for me, I am losing my tan before I get labeled an Islamic Extremist.

Alien because we can all be accosted for little to no reason beyond just looking different.

To Ian

Likely, if it is like in the States, some regions have local laws requiring DNA retrieval if questioned at the station, which means, more often than not, you are questioned at the station.

I wonder if I can patent my DNA. At least then if they confiscate it if I am detained and have some legal recourse to retrieve "my" property.

Pat
Black Helicopters

Careful with that soldering iron..

And any black mobile 'phones, MP3 players, spectacles case etc you may have in your pockets; anything dark like these that fits in the hand and may be waved at or may be pointed at somone/something may now fall under the VCRB, and armed plod may be called!

Explanatory Notes to Violent Crime Reduction Act 2006:

242. Subsection (2) provides that an imitation firearm is not to be regarded as distinguishable from a real one if it could only be distinguished by an expert, on close examination or as a result of an attempt to load or fire it. Subsection (3) provides that in determining whether an imitation is distinguishable from a real one, its size, shape and principal colour must be taken into account. An imitation is to be regarded as distinguishable if its size, shape or principal colour is unrealistic for a real firearm. In this connection, subsections (4), (5) and (6) provide a power for the Secretary of State to make regulations (subject to the negative resolution procedure) specifying dimensions and colours which would be regarded as unrealistic.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/Acts/acts2006/en/06en38-c.htm

Is it just me.........

.........or are they getting a lot tougher on illegal music downloads.........

Anonymous Coward

For god's sake

What lovely people the police are. When they searched him and found no gun, they knew perfectly well there was no crime and that should have been the end of it. They took him to the police station to get his DNA on file. No other possibility exists.

Re the AC hoping he mounts a campaign to get his DNA deleted - well, I hope he does too, but I suspect he has a life and won't bother. I doubt I would, in all honesty.

Anonymous because I have an MP3 player - worse, I often stick my hand in my coat pocket to locate the skip track button by feel, which could be interpreted as drawing a gun.

If only this happened...

... to the sort of person who says "If you've got nothing to hide, what's the problem?" about ID cards, that sort of thing. Or any member of staff from the Daly [Mail|Express] on general principal.

@ Ian

Ths requirement for taking DNA is pretty low - you only need to be arrested on 'suspicion of a recordable offence'.

As that accounts for nearly all offences, that means they can take it for pretty much anything. Notable exceptions are speeding and litter-louting, but the police want to include them as well.

So...

They arrested him on "suspicion of possessing a firearm" did he have one - no

So why did they arrest him ?

We have reason to believe you have a firearm

I don't

Can we check

Yes

You don't have a weapon

Bye ....

What if he had a gun, legally ?

I bet if he was any kind of man with a legal reason to have a gun, things would have been easier for him !

Thumb Up

I for one (and obviously alone)

am quite glad the police actually responded to the threat. I think one man, inconvenienced for an hour or so, is a small price to pay for knowing someone is watching out for us.

Coming from the Birmingham area I would rather this than the police allowing the armed gangs to run even more amok than they do. As for this being a cynical DNA gathering exercise, I have not and have no plans to commit any crimes so I have no reason to worry about a sample being on a police database. The only minute danger is if my health insurance co. get their hands on it and then find I have some un-insurable genetic disease, (and admittedly, recently, the security of public data is a worry). I'd rather be mildly oppressed than dead.

Discuss

@crashIO

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article.html?in_article_id=98741&in_page_id=34

My my, isn't jumping to conclusions a wonderful thing. ;)

Dead Vulture

For all eternity

So when his record is checked it'll show him having been "Arrested on suspicion of possession of a Firearm".

Good show, Plod!!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.