back to article Yahoo! shares! rise! above! offer! price!

Yahoo! shares are worth more than Microsoft offered to pay for them last week. Even though when Microsoft made its offer to buy Yahoo! it included a 62 per cent premium Yahoo! shareholders are now better off selling their shares on the open market. Microsoft offered a mix of its own shares and cash equivalent to $31 for each …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

Don't! buy! Yahoo!

Put! AdBlocker! Into! IE! Instead!

Take! That! Google!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

Conflicted

Part of me says no, never. search.yahoo.com is better than google because it's less easily vandalised to make idiot return George Bush or the whole French Military Victories thing. Yahoo Messenger is just better than other IM clients which don't support things like offline messaging.

That said, we're talking most of a year's net revenue for Microsoft. Buying Yahoo and it failing could really hurt them.

So, keep off my Yahoo or choke on it? I'm not sure of my feelings.

3. Spleen

Ick

Well I'm not an expert Wall Street analyst - I left my roulette wheel at home - but I doubt that Microsoft will raise its bid. It's very unlikely that anyone will launch a counterbid, and the only other reason Microsoft might have to increase its offer - Yahoo flat out refusing to sell - also seems improbable, as Yahoo doesn't really have anywhere else to go. And the deal may not even happen. If you buy Yahoo shares on the basis that Microsoft will pay more than $31 each, it's a gamble, and one probably less safe than sticking it on red.

4. Dam

Re: conflicted

You fail, to be honest.

"Yahoo Messenger is just better than other IM clients which don't support things like offline messaging."

Or is it ?

I mean... ICQ much ? Welcome to 8-9 years ago ? Offline message from day one ?

If you're going to make claims, get them right first please.

This is not mentionning the fact that (crappy, granted) Live Messenger does support offline messaging...

5. Geoff Mackenzie

Offline messaging

I use SMTP and POP3 for that.

6. Martin
    Dead Vulture

Please explain

I must be really stupid today. Please reconcile these three statements.

1) Yahoo shares are worth more than Microsoft offered for them

2) Microsoft offered $31

3) Yahoo shares are $29.

Can I go and work in the Stock Market, please?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Offline messaging

Windows Live supports sending IMs to people who are offline? When did that get added?

8. Jaime Giussi
    Alien

RE: Please explain

That is because microsoft didn't offer $31 in plain money. Microsoft offered a mix of its own shares and cash equivalent to $31 for each Yahoo! share. But now that Yahoo!'s stock has climbed, the offer isn't so good, specially because Microsoft's stock fell 14%. I hope this has helped you understand the economics behind Microsoft's offer. Have a good one!

This topic is closed for new posts.