Fred Weber had the look of a mad man. There he was at some chip conference in 2002, waving sticks of memory around and talking about a new age of server computing. Weber, then CTO at AMD, planned to unleash 64-bits on the x86 realm. Intel claimed this was a horrible idea. Weber's, er, unwavering - sorry - enthusiasm told a …
Wow, remembering the Encore Multimax...
Wow, this brings me back. My school brought in an Encore Multimax to reaplce a DEC-20 as the general computer for the school. 20 processors, 64mb of RAM. A real screamer! Cost us $250k at the time.
I helped move it in and it worked well with a bunch of DECstation 3100s as the front ends, replacing VT100/220s.
Three years later, we ditched it for $25k... talk about depreciation!
It was a pretty decent machine, watching compiles fly by with 'make -j 8' was cool.
- Analysis iPhone 6: The final straw for Android makers eaten alive by the data parasite?
- First Crack Bloke buys iPHONE 6 and DROPS IT to SMASH on PURPOSE
- First Fondle Register journo battles Sydney iPHONE queue, FONDLES BIG 'UN
- Early result from Scots indyref vote? NAW, Jimmy - it's a SCAM
- TOR users become FBI's No.1 hacking target after legal power grab