Fred Weber had the look of a mad man. There he was at some chip conference in 2002, waving sticks of memory around and talking about a new age of server computing. Weber, then CTO at AMD, planned to unleash 64-bits on the x86 realm. Intel claimed this was a horrible idea. Weber's, er, unwavering - sorry - enthusiasm told a …
Wow, remembering the Encore Multimax...
Wow, this brings me back. My school brought in an Encore Multimax to reaplce a DEC-20 as the general computer for the school. 20 processors, 64mb of RAM. A real screamer! Cost us $250k at the time.
I helped move it in and it worked well with a bunch of DECstation 3100s as the front ends, replacing VT100/220s.
Three years later, we ditched it for $25k... talk about depreciation!
It was a pretty decent machine, watching compiles fly by with 'make -j 8' was cool.
- DINO-SLAYER asteroid strike was a stroke of bad luck, say boffins
- BEST BATTERY EVER: All lithium, all the time, plus a dash of carbon nano-stuff
- Stick a 4K in them: Super high-res TVs are DONE
- Review You didn't get the MeMO? Asus Pad 7 Android tab is ... not bad
- Russia: There is a SPACECRAFT full of LIZARDS in orbit above Earth and WE control it