Fred Weber had the look of a mad man. There he was at some chip conference in 2002, waving sticks of memory around and talking about a new age of server computing. Weber, then CTO at AMD, planned to unleash 64-bits on the x86 realm. Intel claimed this was a horrible idea. Weber's, er, unwavering - sorry - enthusiasm told a …
Wow, remembering the Encore Multimax...
Wow, this brings me back. My school brought in an Encore Multimax to reaplce a DEC-20 as the general computer for the school. 20 processors, 64mb of RAM. A real screamer! Cost us $250k at the time.
I helped move it in and it worked well with a bunch of DECstation 3100s as the front ends, replacing VT100/220s.
Three years later, we ditched it for $25k... talk about depreciation!
It was a pretty decent machine, watching compiles fly by with 'make -j 8' was cool.
- YARR! Pirates walk the plank: DMCA magnets sink in Google results
- Pics Whisper tracks its users. So we tracked down its LA office. This is what happened next
- Review Xperia Z3: Crikey, Sony – ANOTHER flagship phondleslab?
- Ex-US Navy fighter pilot MIT prof: Drones beat humans - I should know
- OnePlus One cut-price Android phone on sale to all... for 1 HOUR