back to article Brits can't distinguish history from the TV listings

Chronologically-challenged Brits think that Robin Hood, Biggles and Sherlock Holmes were real people while questioning whether the likes of Winston Churchill, Montgomery of Alamein and Mahatma Gandhi ever walked this Earth. The shocking findings were uncovered by British TV station UKTV Gold, which is funny, as anyone who …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

That's a lot of 47's!

was there a sale on 47's when this analysis was done? I smell cod-statistics... very fishy!

Coat

Who did they poll for this?

I certainly didn't get asked any questions like this. Although, I don't watch any of the dross that is broadcast by any of the TV stations, so I probably don't fit into their metric - having a brain being the biggest disadvatage.

The duffle coat with the books in the pocket please - no not the Daily Star, the books!

JP
Paris Hilton

Sharpe?

Having run so many Sharpe repeats, surely ol' Dick would have ranked quite highly in the real-fictional rankings?

Cracking books, and good films too.

Paris, 'cause Sharpe would have sacked her.

Thumb Down

History Channel is history

You've obviously not watched TV recently - the History Channel is history. It has been given the blokish name "Dave", and now broadcasts non-stop Top Gear, Alan Partridge, and Never Mind the Buzzcocks.

Physician, heal thyself...

I'd love to see the questionnaire which produced these somewhat dubious statistics. As the article mentioned, Dick Turpin was indeed real, not a fictional character as he seems to have been dubbed by the survey. Likewise, Lady Godiva is 100% real. There's no evidence she rode on horseback naked, but that hardly makes her a work of fiction.

If the survey simply asked 'are these people real or fictional', you could make an excellent case for Robin Hood and King Arthur too, however many fictional myths have grown up around them since.

Paris Hilton

Terrifying....

That some people doubt the past existence of Winston Churchill is terrifying. These people may also question that WWII ever happened or that the rise of the Third Reich was merely "internal German political turmoil".

PS. UKTV does not operate the History Channel (or Hitler Channel as it has become known). It does however operate the far more interesting and diverse UKTV History.

Thumb Down

what idiots did they survey?

The usual morons who think that Only fools and Horses is the ultimate in original comedy?

Sot of

All comes together in the whole general sort of mish-mash.

Although you have to feel sad for the plonkers who didn't think Churchil was real, come on he's not been dead 50 years.

Anonymous Coward

Re; History Channel is History

UKTV G2 is now Dave. UKTV HIstory is alive and well on FreevIew channel 12

Dead Vulture

The UKTV demographic...

...fortunately doesn't account for the intelligence of the whole populace.

However, it's nice to see Americans having a crack, good on you!

Not Dave

The History Channel isn't Dave, Dave is the bizarrely-rebranded UKTV G2 channel.

"Dave, where you're never more than an hour away from another episode of QI".

Ian

You can be real and a myth at the same time, you know

Most of Florence Nightingale's reputation is mythical, and a lot that is said of Churchill almost has the status of myth. At the distance from here to the first crusade, it's hard to see how Richard I can be anything other than a mythic figure. Richard III probably didn't have a hunched back, either.

Happy

But Robin Hood MUST be real.

I've seen him on stage, which surely proves it?

Happy

Re: History Channel is History

Really? Glory be - now I can get back to my endless reruns of The World At War and Time Team. ;-)

Coat

Hypocritical?

I'm ROFL --

When a survey shows how dumb the Yanks (seem) to be, everyone chimes in to uphold the results.

When a survey shows how dumb the Brits (seem) to be, everyone attacks the veracity of the findings!

Mine's the "turncoat". (:^)

Boffin

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

Back off Dave, they show the World Rally on Sunday nights, and frankly, repeats of TG, QI, Whose Line Is It, etc, etc, make for far better day-time TV than Jeremy Kyle and Trisha..!!

Dead Vulture

47% is "about half" or 1 in 2

... and since less than 1% of the population regularly watches UKTV Gold (97% of statistics, like this one, are made up on the spot) we are most certainly talking about a very thin scraping from the floor of humanity.

Perhaps the polled all 100 bone fida subscribers, of whom 47 said yeh, 47 said nae and 6 said "will you be my SPECIAL friend"?

Actually, looking at the umbers... 23, 34, 47... that's damned close to a poll of 11 people. Now, on a more serious note, where is there an IT OR a Paris angle to this story?

UK TV History

FYI on Freeview UK TV History (Ch12) is "history".. after 6pm. Then the slot switches to Dave (Ch19).

Dave is sh*te and I was really getting into the repeats of Secret Army on History, one of my favourites from the 70's, but can't get them after 6pm now.

Not all repeats are crap, and don't mention Allo Allo ... please!

GAH

"UKTV G2 is now Dave. UKTV HIstory is alive and well on FreevIew channel 12"

I have to take issue with this. I use to watch the History channel when it covered lots of great shows. Now it doesn't. All it does is endless repeats about the world wars.

Anonymous Coward

meh

no suprise here - most people I've met are just stupid.

Joke

@ Alastair

"The usual morons who think that Only fools and Horses is the ultimate in original comedy?"

The very same people who bought that decidedly dodgy smelling perfume off a couple of blokes called Del and Rodney down Peckham market!

Dead Vulture

And these are the people...

That a Nobel prize winner thought should be 'told the plain facts' of research into climate change so that they could 'make their own minds up', based on a conscientious and thoughtful study of the scientific findings.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

The dead vulture because I want to die.

Gates Halo

jesus

enough said I think

Thumb Down

Lies, Polls, Statistics

I seem to recall from other coverage that this was a poll of the under 20s. Now 47% of respondents reckon Eleanor Rigby really? How many do you think have heard the name? Actually I suspect that what actually happened was that the suckers were presented with a list of names and a column marked real and a column marked fictious.

None of the respondents had heard the name so there was a rough 50-50 split.

Paris Hilton

I was on a course once...

I was on some touchy-feely make-a-circle-and-think-peaceful-thoughts junior management bollocky-wollocky type thing.

One of the tasks was to take personality types such as "manipulative" "power-hungry" "dictatorial" and give an example of a person who met these criteria. For that example, 7 people chose "Cat Slater", and me and the other bloke said "Adolf Hitler".

4 of the other people had never heard of Hitler and 1 remembered him as being something to do with the First World War, "because me Grandad talked about him".

For the record, I beleive Cat Slater is a soap character, but no idea as to which.

Paris.... just because.

(Written by Reg staff)

Re: jesus

What? Are you suggesting He is a fictional character? Blasphemy! etc.

Stop

Survey

Obviously a rigorous survey and not at all taken from the cronies and reprobates that happened to be in the pub that slow Friday afternoon.

Come clean Reg, which of you was one of the many incontinent drinkers at the Slug and Lettuce that paused to drool in the direction of this survey?

Thumb Down

...the polled populace

if you make the assumption that most people on el reg have jobs, and that no one here has been polled (or at least admitted to being polled), then you can safely conclude that this poll was performed during working hours.

if anyone was watching tv between 9-5, and was so busy they phoned/texted in their answers, i'd put money on the respondents being benefit thieves.

er.. i mean... "long term sick".

ahem.

maybe if the last question was 'have you paid any income tax this decade', you'd get a fair idea of the type of people you're polling.

on second thoughts, if the penultimate question was 'are YOU a mythical person', you'd probably realise why this questionnaire is utter bullshit.

... the leather one with the tweed patches. (like homer simpson, i ruined *two* perfectly good jackets)

Thumb Up

Seems America doesn't have a monopoly of stupid people after all.

Perhaps it's just Humanity as a whole that's abysmally dim-witted.

Stupidity is catching.

Pretty stupid for sure. Shows just how bad the educational system has become. In America it is just as bad if not worse. Almost 35% think that the carvings on Mt Rushmore is a natural landmark. DOH!!!!

Government has it in hand

Which is why today McBroon announced compulsory visits from UK schools to Auschwitz. I don't think it's to boost tourism. Or to instill an appreciation of art and culture.

Bronze badge

No I think the US beats the UK

but still it's a bit of a worry.

Mind you UK TV History is pretty poor and seemingly unable to give a balanced view or to differentiate between speculation and fact.

Silver badge
Stop

Who is Sarah Bee?

Is she new at ElReg, or has she been there a long time but escaped her handlers and posted comments without authorization?

(Written by Reg staff)

Re: Who is Sarah Bee?

Heh. All of the above.

I sub-edit, write and make sure you lot all play nice.

Joke

@Dave

"then you can safely conclude that this poll was performed during working hours."

I actually inhabit that mythical utopian nirvana of working from home *, and have done for almost three years now, and I'm not on the TPS list, despite having registered several times, and I can vouchsafe that no pollsters AT ALL have phoned me, ever. There's something suspicious about that. **

OTOH I usually don't have the TV on during the day, and when I do, the volume is turned down. In case any hippies are reading this, I should point out that my desk faces away from the TV, rendering this a total waste of energy, and I only do it so that your children will have to wander hungry over the barren, plastic bag strewn earth in the dystopian future.

* Yes, this really means that I don't have to wear pants if I don't want to.

** OK, not really. But when I used to work in a 'proper' office, (e.g. one where pants were compulsory) I used to get mithered all the time by people phoning up with annoying surveys.

Worse than UKTV History

National Geographic Channel.

As best I can tell it's forever running 'Top Ten Air Crashes' - not a patch on UKTV's offerings of 'Hitler's Gardens'.

Paris Hilton

The History Channel? More like UKTV Hitler

Almost every time I tune into the "Hitler" Channel, it's showing a documentary about WWII. And it's true that history repeats itself.

As for thinking Gandhi was fictional, Albert Einstein predicted as much:-

"Generations to come will scarce believe that such a one as this ever in flesh and blood walked upon this earth."

(Paris, because she's so yesterday.)

Ian

Erm...

To be fair, there's a lot more evidence that the likes of Robin Hood and King Arthur did work than there is the contrary.

Of course they didn't exist in the god-like forms that many stories would have you believe, they weren't exactly super heroes but they likely existed as people important to their time in history.

It's not unreasonable therefore to suggest you believe they were real people, arguably there is more proof of their existance than there is of any god and the stories are of course even more plausible yet billions of people believe in some diety or another.

It's likely that people like Osama Bin Laden will become similar legends in a 1000 - 1500 years time to some people in the middle east with little existence as to whether he was really real or not!

Coat

Re: Who is Sarah Bee?

"I sub-edit, write and make sure you lot all play nice"

Oh dear. For a sub-editor that's really not good enough. The word you are looking for is 'nicely'. It's a member of the rapidly-disappearing family of adverbs. The majority of them end in -ly, and they describe or modify verbs, advectives and (not many people know this) other adverbs.

Grammar Police

@ Sarah Bee

pstpxplsthnks.

;-)

Flame

You people look down on Americans?

And yet you have business names like Dave, Orange, and 3?

Pardon me if I find that ludicrous. Or don't; I can't really be bothered about the opinions of that sort of person.

Linux

@ AC/Grammar Police

"they describe or modify verbs, advectives"

Advectives?

Surly [sic!] you mean invectives?

Orthography P'leece

(The penguin, because they make slipping an art form.)

Tom

Hmm

UKTV History... is that the one that only airs until about 6PM now and primarily shows Tenko?

To the other Ian...

The key question regarding whether Robin Hood and King Arthur existed is whether their legends are based on the activities of one man, or a bringing together of numerous disparate tales, legends and anecdotes, fusing the lives of several individuals (with plenty of blatant myth thrown in) as a single person. Entire books have been written on whether they're 'real' or not. Whichever position you take, it's hardly fair to reduce the question to a couple of tick boxes and laugh at those who answered 'yes'.

And there's no excuse whatsoever for their considering Dick Turpin and Lady Godiva fictional on the grounds of a couple of made-up anecdotes about them. Presumably they think Richard III disappeared from history on the day Shakespeare lied about him having a hunchback.

@Chris Phillips

Surely like 64.5% of all statistics it was made up on the spot. 83% if all people could probably recognise that.

Coat

UKTV Hitler

Didn't that get re-branded as More UKTV Dave Hitler +1?

Paris Hilton

i DO exist

i DO!

Flame

@Morely

Actually, no I don't look down on Americans, a lot of them are taller then me.

And to rise to the Flame Bait, I'll admit I found Dave a bit confusing, but then why is one guy's name more ludicrous than two guys names? Like Morgan Stanley f'r instance.

We have more than one Orange here in the UK. But then you have Apple.

And 3 is only one character shorter than 3M.

3 was originally Hutchison and they went with the 3G phone thing. I remember when it was supposed to be launched (3 Mar 2003 but they missed the unmoveable deadline on that one) I wondered how they'd promote a company that you couldn't search for on the net.

And while we're on 'ludicrous' names, what about Freddie Mac? Freddie Mac who? Can't even form a decent Scots surname properly!

Paris Hilton

So funny

So funny , that according to this survey many people in the UK cannot tell fantasy from fiction just like their very own gullible and stupid politicians they have chosen to represent them too !

Ah the 21st century the new age of propaganda has arrived and "idiocracy" is just around the next bend !

Paris because she has more brains then most of the entire combined batch of 600 or so UK elected politicians that have chosen by lottery to represent us !

Anonymous Coward

I hate to say this..

But I'm the sort of person that will deliberately say all manner of fictional characters are real just to fuck up a report like this, and I know I'm not alone. Sorry.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums