back to article Teen-mum flick gets filmgoers hungry for hamburger phone

Companies like Apple and Sony have known for years that movie product placement translates into big bucks. The latest such placement is...a hamburger phone, which features in new teens-up-the-duff movie Juno. Statistics floating around online, which have been attributed to eBay, claim that sales of the retro handset jumped 759 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Andrew
    IT Angle

Give away?

The "Juno Hamburger Phone" was a free gift on Facebook about a month ago, so they've been pushing it by other channels as well.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Before everyone in UK rushes out

It's proberbly illeagal to connect this to a UK network (couldn't find any refs to BABT approval). Oh and it probebrly won't ring, unless you get a RJ11 - BT with capacitor.

3. Lorum Ipsum
    Alert

Retro Hamburger phone idea

A hamburger phone also appears in the 80's movie "Dragnet" with Hanks and Dan Aykroyd...so it's not *that* new...

Case of retro ideas coming back into fashion maybe...

4. David Gosnell

BABT approval ...

... appears to be a thing of the past now.

Can't remember the last time I saw a green blob on a few bit of kit, and it's apparently all now been subsumed into CE marking.

5. Adrian Jones

And...

Mr McDowell had one in his office in Eddie Murphy's Coming To America in 1988.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Lorum Ipsum

Erm... do you know what "retro" means...?

7. Tim Lake
    Flame

@Lorum Ipsum

Did you read the actual article?

"why people would want to talk into something that’s been around for decades, rather than a state of the art wireless Dect handset is beyond us"

We all know it's been around for years, thats kind of the point

8. bluesxman
    Paris Hilton

can't think of a title

<pedantry>Looks like a cheeseburger to me...</pedantry>

I vaguely recall such a device was frequently visible on the counter in a café on a TV show I watched as a yoof. I'm thinking it was Home & Away, but can't be certain.

9. James Le Cuirot
    Coat

Plastic food

You might as well go to MacDonalds, their burgers are even more plastic and cheaper to boot.

10. Lloyd
    Thumb Down

Meh

It's an alright film with some pretty music by Sonic Youth, etc but only average, certainly not Oscar material. And the only people to buy this pos phone are likely to be the same people who buy rubbish like the iphone.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Burger Phone

They used to use one on the TV show "Home & Away" in the diner years ago. You can see it in this clip on the edge of the counter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibAEGTI_3pI

12. Noogie Brown

Forget the burger phone, I want the garfield phone

as seen in Godfrey Ho's timeless classic Ninja Terminator.

13. Haku

Missed opportunity

With mobile phones probably more popular than thethered phones (wouldn't really know, I hate both types), what about a mobile phone hamburger?

14. Paul Hampson
    Coat

Food Phones...

I remember in my first year of university we (as a prank... can you tell there were 4 engineers in my block?!) dismantled our friends internal phone and built the earpiece and microphone into a banana... worked well for a while before the banana turned to mush.

We then transferred the earpiece and microphone to polystyrene burger box - wasn't particularly ergonomic but it worked...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like