Swedish crooks almost managed to rob a bank using remote access gear attached to a computer, according to reports. The movie-style* ploy was foiled only at the last minute by an alert employee unplugging the kit, according to local prosecutors and cops. According to AP the attempted digital blag took place in August last year, …
Defining "robbery" vs. "theft"
The term "robbery" is used to describe taking things where there is physical violence or the threat of physical violence involved.
"Theft" is just taking something. Frankly, they didn't even seem to manage that.
So the charge should be...
Bungling an Attempted Theft
These fellows are well-qualified to hold public office, that's clear enough.
"advanced technical equipment"
Probably something like an iPod, or a C64 knowing the law enforcement people. To them anything is "advanced".
Of course, it could have been a USB dongle plugged into a bank terminal and hacking Windows, but given how banks work, I doubt it.
- Review Is it an iPad? Is it a MacBook Air? No, it's a Surface Pro 3
- Game Theory The agony and ecstasy of SteamOS: WHERE ARE MY GAMES?
- Hello, police, El Reg here. Are we a bunch of terrorists now?
- Worstall on Wednesday Wall Street woes: Oh noes, tech titans aren't using bankers
- Kate Bush: Don't make me HAVE CONTACT with your iPHONE