back to article Penguin-powered UML modeling

With speculation building that Microsoft will bring Windows 7 forward by a year, ostensibly to staunch the loss of the Vista weary and Vistaphobes to alternative operating systems, now is a good time to look at the state of development tools for Linux. Software developers have got it surprisingly good - unlike, say, creative …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Nickd

C++ Round Trip

Do you know of any Linux based Eclipse integrated tools that provide C++ round trip engineering, or even class / function prototypes and header files? I really like Enterprise Architect but we are very Linux focused currently.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What about eUML2?

This has a free edition:

http://www.soyatec.com/euml2/

Being Java, it should work OK on Linux (haven't tried it, myself)

3. Anthony B. Coates

EA on Linux

With regard to your closing remarks, I use Enterprise Architect (from Sparx Systems) under openSUSE 10.3, by running it in Crossover Office. Specifically, EA comes in a version designed to run in Crossover Office. EA perhaps isn't quite as snappy running this way as in Windows directly, but it's still pretty close, and it usually isn't worth booting up Windows just to run it under Windows.

Cheers, Tony.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Sparx is great, but XMI sucks everywhere

Nice roundup. You are right about Sparx Systems' Enterprise Architect, it is by far the best UML tool I've ever used, although it could still be improved in a bunch of places. It's also dirt cheap compared to the other commercial offerings. Pity it's unlikely to appear in any non-Windows flavour any time soon.

However, XMI as an import / export option is totally borked on all the tools I've ever tried. Seems like the standard has been defined somewhere, but none of the vendors can agree on how it should work. Try moving a model between any 2 of the XMI-supporting tools and you'll most likely end up with garbage.

What it means for the user is that you must choose your UML tool very carefully, because if you build anything significant you'll be stuck with it for a *long* time.

5. Hans-Peter Lackner
    Alert

Don't use ArgoUML

It is a major pain in the ass.

You can't copy between two .zargo - Files and you can't export and import it. And that is the biggest problem with this tool, because in our company many people are working with UML, we have some standard diagrams, everyone needs to use and so on...

Printing is very frustrating, because of sometimes not printing everything or changes by ArgoUML itself in the printing-options, which render your print useless (Why on Earth should I want a 830mm margin on my A1 printout?)

In reality, if you really want to use your UML drawing for model-driven Delevopment you will need proper tools: MagicDraw, Rose, et al.

The existing OpenSource Utilities aren't mature enought yet.

6. Felipe Contreras
    Linux

Good article

I agree, there are a lot of basic solutions but nothing really outstanding.

I've also used Enterprise Architect and I agree that it's amazing. By far the best.

7. Stephen Palmer
    Go

Please don't forget Borland

Borland Together 2007 does UML 2.0 and UML 1.4 and runs on

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 update 2, x86-32

SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10, x86-32

Solaris 10 SPARC, GTK

Mac OS X 10.4, Universal, Carbon

It has LiveSource support for Java and C++

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like