Feeds

back to article Apple on the lookout for one million unlocked iPhones

About 27 per cent of the iPhones sold in 2007 are being operated on unauthorized wireless networks, according to research released today. That works out at about one million handsets. The unlocked phones are used largely in regions where the must-have device isn't officially sold, according to a report issued by Bernstein …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Stop

Wrong- latest firmware not unlocked

Jailbreaking enables third-party applications that aren't loaded through the iTunes Store.

Software-only network unlocking (that doesn't require the device to be opened) hasn't been achieved for the last two versions, 1.1.3 or 1.1.2

Bronze badge

Enigma Version II

What sort of people would want to pay extra every time that Apple issue an update?

I can't imagine a million users would want the hassle. Something is odd about all this.

Coat

who wants the jesus phone anyway...

The silly price that it costs to own the "must have phone" in my opinion makes you silly for paying the silly price...

the fact it costs still a price to have a unlocked jesus phone, that you will end up with a brick because of a silly update, leaves you with a silly looking expensive "jesus brick"

its silly....

i'll stick to my nokia... thats in my coat !!!!!

Small Wonder- They're surprised by this?

Apple cut their deal with AT&T. Fine. Happens that in my area AT&T is the WORST carrier out of the unholy trinity of Sprint, AT&T, and T-mobile. I signed a contract to buy a piece of hardware. Where I get the service is my business. NOT APPLE's decision to make or profit from. I don't try to tell Apple where to buy their hard drives for THEIR products, do I?

When I bought my Miele Washer and Dryer (another premium priced product) I paid over $3000 for them. And Miele didn't try to tell me who to buy my electricity from! (They do recommend a particular brand or brands of detergent but that's based on a real technical consideration regarding standard detergent over-sudsing and flowing out onto your floors.)

When I bought my Sub Zero Fridge - they didn't tell me who to buy the power from to run the damned thing! Nor did Wolfe do so regarding the gas for the stove. Even BMW didnt' tell me where to buy fuel for the car!

Who does Apple think they are in the general scheme of things? Love the products but this kind of corporate arrogance and greed is intolerable even from a spoiled brat-grown-up like Mr. Steven Jobs! My Gawd - has he been so wealthy for so long that his head is so deeply imbedded in his arse that he can't pull it out and see reality! People shop for the best price and service and when you're dealing with radio waves it depends on where you live and where you use your phone. We want our pricey phones to actually work and work well. Is that too much to ask? The choice of carrier makes a huge difference by area. It's not something that he can reasonably dictate to the American Consumer!

Unlocking it makes sense for me and countless others who need the phone to actually work reliably in their area. AT&T was previously Cingular and their network isn't all that great in most of the US. Their service tends to be pricey and mediocre at best! Also, IMHO - their customer service is generally arrogant, badly trained, and bitchy - and that's if you catch them on a Good Day! Heaven help you if you call them on a "bad day!"

In Europe the cell companies share each other's towers and settle up at the end of the month in terms of who carried which number of customer minutes for whom and out of what tower. It's transparent to the user, and the end result is service that is INCREDIBLE compared to the crap cell service we're offered here in the US at premium prices - and now this damned company thinks they're going to dictate to me from whom I can buy my cell service? BULL!

The solution is simple. Open up the iPhone for all carriers. Hell, even make a model for Verizon and Sprint if you wish. More product sold means more revenue for most companies - or doesn't that work for Apple? Funny, it's worked for every company from Henry Ford forward in time. But maybe Apple is different. Or at least they think they are! Apparently Job's infamous "reality distortion field" has caught his own better judgement in it's field of influence! Pity.

Anonymous Coward

Not lost revenue

These people clearly bought these phones with the idea of unlocking them. If these phones had not been unlocked then the people would not have bought them. Therefore it is erroneous to suggest that Apple lost revenue by these phones being unlocked.

Sure, Apple make more money on locked phones and less on unlocked phones, but selling an unlocked phone for less profit still beats selling nothing.

Greed's their biggest sales challenge

There's no doubt that the phone is incredibly desirable albeit in it's first generation limited functionality guise. One wonders what it will be like in its third or forth generation. But the prices are out of this world. Strangely enough, the capital price for the phone isn't the real issue; it's the lousy contracts due to iPhone/Apple tax.

Apple are in a quandary; more unlocked phones around the world just 'spreads the love' and hooks more people. A sale of an unlocked phone doesn't necessarily equate to loss of ongoing revenues as many people cracking these phones wouldn't buy one with a contract due to cost and/or lack of provider choice.

It's one thing to make money; nothing wrong with that. This just looks like greed is one of their biggest barriers to success. Maybe it's all just textbook economics?

Unhappy

I understand but it's still wrong in my view.

I understand Apples view. But I don't believe that If I choose to buy a product it becomes mine. I should be allowed to modify it if I choose. Put that up against the need to modify it then it's going to get modified by a percentage. I don't own one because I can get one, but as it stands being so tied up , I'm not likely to buy one. Not to mention I've always used Pre-Paid phones. My mother has the same view. She wants one but wont use it without it being Pre-Paid. Something I doubt will happen somehow.

Jail-Breakers have the following needs as previously outlined:

• Only one carrier available. (We don't all like the same carrier, this amounts to iPhone monopoly.)

• People such as myself are not able to buy one yet. I will have to no-doubt pay more and wait longer. (That would be a pretty strong motivation to me.)

• More software wanted and/or needed. (This reflects a want and/or need which is not met by Apple.)

• People are creative and like to contribute. (Apple are not allowing people to contribute to the product. Apple seem to have forgotten about the real Apple community that likes to dress up THEIR Apple products.)

It's sad to me that the Apple culture is dying along with Apples success. I've been an Apple product user since I was a kid. First mac I used was an Classic. Now the company seems generic, it's only saving grace is design (software and hardware) the culture seems to have been sterilized.

They say as you get older you tent to dislike change more and more. Steve Jobs would seem to be showing his age...

Jobs Horns

I hate Apple's monopoly and greed!

I hate apple's monopoly business model / greed and every other company who does the same.

When reading the article, I was glad that "unlocking" iPhones apparently looses apple profit. Steve Jobs is a $£!&*^ greedy rich b*****d who doesn't care about his customers and just wants to profit as much as possible!

If you want something that does everything the iPhone does and more buy a PDA with built-in phone functionality! ....probably cheaper too!

In the UK my mobile phone is locked to Orange, but it is the only reliable service in my town and also reasonable value for money so its OK.

Jobs Horns

Good!

Serves them right for this illegal practice of restricting the phone to one provider, I hope both 02 (and AT&T) and Apple have lost a lot of support, customers, units and money from taking this poor buisiness monopoly approach!

Locked for a reason

AT&T had to do serious changes to their network to support visual voice mail.

An unlocked Iphone can't use this feature, its a big part of WHY they have the two year lock in. They had to invest in the requisite network changes to make the network fully iPhone compatible.

As to network choices, AT&T is really good here and I already had it. I wouldn't have changed providers to AT&T for an iPhone anymore than I would have changed toT-Mobile for a Sidekick, despite wanting one.

Bronze badge
Dead Vulture

It's mine

I don't care what a piece of paper says, If I buy something with my money, it belongs to me. The government can make whatever laws they want, Apple or whatever company it may be can say whatever they like, but if I give them the amount they ask for, and they take my money, the deal is done, it's mine. Someone needs to get the rights of consumers given back to us. It needs to be nipped in bud now, hell, it needed to be nipped seven years ago. Epson has already proved that companies can and do dictate laws that govern free citizens, they sue people for refilling their cartridges (under the DMCA). We wouldn't tolerate GM or Ford or Seat putting a key-locked oil cap on our cars, or making a deal with Exxon or Esso so that only their nozzles fit into our gas tanks, but they will if someone doesn't put a stop to the business practice of locking devices. Businesses need to either give people want they want, or get out of the way. We apparently need clear laws stating that things we buy belong to us, and what we do with them is our business, and attempting to put artificial limitations on something should be against the law.

Coat

@ Mark Issacs

Sheesh dude - you left out a few brand names there..

Do IWC prescribe which arm to wear your watch on?

Gucci which colour socks for your loafers?

Issy where to wear the cologne?

Wally which harbour to moor your yacht in?

:-)

(sorry, rude I know, but couldn't resist - I'll leave now)

Jobs Horns

Reality for Apple

Good to see Apple can't dictate everything to every market!

Over here in the UK, it seems only Mac fanboys have bought them and are tolerating the contract terms. We are used to a mature mobile market where there is almost always up to 4 networks with fairly good coverage in your area all with the same phones so they can only compete on price and service.

I think everyone agrees that the Jesus phone is nice, but at what cost.

Its a phone Steve!! I want to use it like the string of nokia's and motorola's i've had before it. ....and thats why i dont have one.

Anonymous Coward

A Phone is a Phone is a Phone - or is it ????

Am I the only one left in the world that uses a mobile as a telephone - you dial a number (or punch a number) and the person you are phoning answers the phone or they do not answer the phone.

All this "keeping up with the Jones's" getting more functions etc etc is money down the drain. Buying a phone that does everything but make the coffee is daft economy - apart from the risk of loosing it, dropping it or worse still getting mugged for it.

Buy a cheap totally unlocked mobile to use with any pre-paid service carrier worldwide - hell, buy two. Entering into a locked contract where they have you by the short and curlies is pure madness.

Anonymous Coward

Globalisation

Companies should learn to suck it up just as much as work forces do.

Sadly there are laws in place to protect regional price fixing where as there arn't to protect regional jobs. Unless you're a French Farmer.

Not that I have a problem with manufacturing goods in poor places, it's just that I don't see why I should pay £150 fro my iriver clix 2 when an American pays £90 and a Japanese person pays £100.

Same with the iphone, sure the Company want us to use it on their blessed network and puirchase it via sanctioned Vendors. But why the f--k should we?

O well I need the first coffee of the day.

and it continues...

theres a simple answer to all this, get a decent phone.

this is like a mercedes car, some people can afford it, and fine, if you want to spend £30,000 on something to get to work fine. I'd prefer to pay £400 for my car, and spend the rest on having a fulfilling life, similarly, an iphone does nto make you happy. Cheap phone bills do however, so i'm sticking with whatever the UK carriers are prepared to ive me for free. Most of the time, thats a fully functional unlocked phone with 3G, replaceable battery and upgradeable storage.

seriously, why is everyone getting so upset about this? nobody is slagging off ferrari for making expensive cars now are they?

Joke

Caveat Emptor

You pay your money and you take your choice. You know the network restrictions when you buy the thing and know the risk you take if you unlock it.

Do I think it's over priced and over restricted? Yes.

Would I buy one as a result of that? No.

Simple. Don't bleat Apple are evil - they are just in businessness to make money. But equally don't have all the Apple fan boys come out and bleat how somehow they are "more open" than their "evil" enemy Microsoft. All through its history Apple has operated a top to bottom monopoly over their products (with a brief dabble at making the OS available for OEM in the days Jobs was not there). This is neither all bad nor all good: bad because it limits choice, good because it makes it easier for them to get products to market. Good for shareholders as it increases margins, bad for consumers as they cost more.

Live with it.

Anonymous Coward

Apple business model was based on a fallacy

If Apple hadn't come up with an overstated idea of their popularity and thus tried to screw the carriers (who, in turn screw us) they would have left off the revenue part which depends on the phone being locked.

I would go as far as estimating that Apple may have sold almost twice as many phones if they hadn't been so greedy - worse, now they started it they have to keep it up in order not to upset early adopters.

The phone is a piece of art - but nobody in their right mind buys art at the price of freedom. Simple.

Result: Apple has modelled profit on the need for the phone to stay locked (which is not even possible in every part of the world) in much the same way as DVD sales were assumed to be protected by CSS. Stupid.

Anonymous Coward

Isn't it obvious

If you bought an un-locked jesus phone and knew that patches were going to turn it into a brick - simple don't install the patches. What we have out there is 1 million un-patched fanboy phones.

Stop

RE: Wrong- latest firmware not unlocked

Wrong, Latest firmware IS unlocked.

Whether or not it has been officially released yet I don't know.

A mate of mine shown me his iphone unlocked latest firmware :)

Unhappy

MacGyver is right

if i buy something its mine il do what i want with it use it on any network if a phone. If I buy music il do what I want with it that includes sharing it if i wish either with friends or my radio shows (both over the air and internet).

It wont be long before you buy a TV but have to watch one channel all these restrictions are simply crap.

Occam's Razor

Isn't it easier to consider the possibility that Apple has massively overestimated the number of phones it has sold? Or that (as the Reg has previously pointed out) the great majority of those 1m missing phones are still sitting in warehouses somewhere (presumably next to the Ark of the Covenant) ?

It's my phone

I'll do what the hell I want with it.

Boffin

What did they think was going to happen?

Honestly. The more draconian you get, the more likely people are to kick out, and do exactly the opposite.

I'd wager that if they'd left out the lock-in, etc, more people may well have bought this piece'o'pish...

Stop

The Wider Global Picture

Unless you have first-hand experience, it is genuinely difficult to imagine how things work outside of the country you live in.

I have lived in the USA with its woefully immature Cellphone network and business practices, in that country the Apple/AT&T deal makes some sense as it at least something of a “norm” to have certain handsets locked to certain carriers.

In Europe, things are very different as we have the most mature mobile phone networks on the planet, competition is fierce and every handset is available on every network carrier, normally the latest top-of-the-line handsets are given away for free when you sign up for a 12 or 18 month contract, you even get a free upgrade to a brand new top-of-the-line phone when you renew your contract. Apple simply failed to appreciate that the markets differ as much as they do. Sadly, this is very typical of American organisations breaking into foreign markets, clearly this wasn’t researched well enough and the whole project was approached with the old fashioned American model still considered the norm by Apple. This has led to the iPhone missing projected sales figures by a huge margin as thousands of potential iPhone users snub the expensive contract deal and pick up the latest Nokia/Sony/Motorola handsets for free instead – Who can blame them?

Then there are the emerging markets. This is an area that is widely forgotten by 1st world companies, they know its there but typically they have very little control over how it works. Walk into a Cellphone store in Dubai, Hong Kong etc etc and you can pick up an iPhone off the shelf, packaged as new and completely unlocked. In countries like these you buy the handset completely independently from the cellphone contract (normally handled by the State telecommunications company) so you can pick any handset up anywhere, completely SIM unlocked, even at your local supermarket. I know this, because I used to live in Dubai and I picked up my iPhone there, currently it’s running on the Vodaphone Network in the UK. Remember, these are wealthy states, In Dubai you can barely move for diamond studded Ferraris and Rolex watches – it’s all about the bling – and the iPhone is a huge hit, everyone wants the latest gadget. So, you buy your unlocked phone, you insert your local SIM card and you turn it on, no activation needed, it just works, it’s even covered by a local Apple warranty.

Some people might wonder where the extra million iphones have got to, but Apple certainly aren’t they know exactly where they are, even if they don’t “officially” sell iPhones in emerging markets… Yeah, right.

Anonymous Coward

Mine's unlocked

Has been since the day after geohot posted the HW unlock. So why is mine unlocked? I live in the UK but spend one week in the US, one week in China and occasional trips elsewhere in the world every month. No way I can afford to use ANY network operator from ANY country on ANY phone with the roaming schedule I have. I use a contract in the UK which gets me a nice shiny new phone, free, every year which keeps the kids very happy as they get the latest handsets. I use prepaid in China and the US.

The irony is that I use O2 in the UK and AT&T in the US. Frankly the need to unlock is driven by the greed of the operators not Apple. Before I had my iPhone I still needed to get my handsets unlocked to work on any network. This typically cost £20 well less than Apple charge in France but this is not something new that Apple have introduced.

Until the network operators understand that we live in a global world and they stop gouging for their services people will NEED to unlock their phones. Once the iPhone hype goes away we won't even be talking about this any more...

Buying on contract <> owning phone

Take a contract + phone out with any network in the UK and you do not own the phone (even if you fork out £200 to start off with) you are buying it on HP. Look at 3's model where the contract is one price per month and then the handset is another price per month.

Same goes for any mug who gets a free PS3/TV/Trip to Mars with their phone, add it up and you still end up paying for the freebie over the life of the contract.

The Networks do not hide this fact.

If you want to put a phone that you can do what you like with then you have to buy it outright first via places like Expansys or Nokia Shop online.

If Apple have decided not to sell the Jebus Phone in the US and other territories without contract (where laws permit this practice) then it is their beeswax.

Unhappy

You actually buy a brick...

.. plus a *license* to use the software on it. Once that principle is established, the licensor is free to make up whatever conditions they like.

Yeah, I know.

Alert

Ipod Touch

What annoys the hell out of me is that Apple have the same restrictions on installing 3rd party applications on the Ipod Touch that they do on the IPhone - it needs to be jailbroken before you can do this, and then updates will stop your third-party apps from running.

No contracts with AT&T or O2 here, just simple bloody mindedness from Apple. Want to use someone elses software? You can't until we tell you it's ok.

Jolyon (who wouldn't swap his jailbroken ipod touch for anything right now. best little portable media player, web browser and now thanks to 3rd party apps - MSN/ICQ/Google Chat/IRC client, SSH client, portable Web server with apache and php! etc, etc, etc.)

Want an unlocked iphone in the uk? You must be mental........

If the latest firmware really could be hacked to create a fully unlocked iphone in the UK you'd be mad to try it.....

Why you may ask. Simple data rates are soooo huge here that it would actually be cheaper just to give in and go with O2 iphone tariff.

If you read the small print of most of the uk data tariffs (including the 'all you can eat' ones - which arn't really because there are still caps) and you will find that the it's only port 80 traffic that's included unless you go for an uber expensive, uber-tier tariff.

All the talking an iphone does with the network could/would be charged for. Much the same as people who have been raped by roaming mobile charges when they've taken their US handset abroad.

That's not to say that O2 iphone tariffs are 'good value', but the TCO of an unlocked iphone in the UK would be higher than a locked one in most cases. Which is even less reason to go out and buy one.

Happy

Can't wait till...........

the new phone comes out (I am betting April 08)- I woun't get one, I'll be too busy laughing at the complaints from the folk who spent all that money................... ($100 voucher anyone?)

p.s. I added the year in case folk wanted t get picky about it.

Silver badge

@ marc issacs

you forget that some iPhone features, ie visual voicemail, are network dependent, unlocked iphones won't be able to use it.

Lockingsometimes does make sense, it allows the guys making the handset and the guys running the network to come together and design extra features as one.

Bronze badge
Stop

Mr "Not Lost Revenue"

Has it occurred to you that the upfront price might not actually cover the cost of the device? If that's true, then every unlocked sale represents a real LOSS to Apple.

There's only one way out of this for Apple, sell an unlocked version of the iPhone separately, and exclusively from their own website and Apple Stores. If they've promised too much on exclusivity, then they won't be able to do this at all.

As for who'd want one? I would, and the only reason I don't have one now is that I don't want to pay for it twice.

Anonymous Coward

Serves them right

Apple tried to overhype a sub-par handset by creating market demand artificially (by signing exclusive agreements with certain cellcos). It backfired. Serves them right.

Jobs Horns

Am I one of the rare breed?

I don't own a single apple product... No ipod, no mac, no iphone... In fact, I don't own a single thing with the obligatory "i" shoved on the front of it by any company trying to cash in on the implied association.

My mp3 player is 5yrs old, a 40gb creative zen.. doesn't even have a colour screen because I see no need for the ability to watch movies in a tiny screen, nor do I need to show photos to people.

I seem to be one of those rare people who likes to have an item that does one job that it's designed for, not several hundred jobs badly or at best mediocre.

If I want to take pictures, I use my digital camera

If I want to shoot video, I use my digital video camera

If I want to watch movies on the move, I probably have my laptop with me

My phone is one of these Sony Ericsson smart phones... it can do office work, email, wireless, pics, video, walkman.. and all the usual stuff... I use it for making and receiving calls and the odd txt message.

I could go on and bore you all rigid. :) You get the idea... All of the above do a job and do it brilliantly.

So I see all these people buying apple products like little sheep and all I can think is 'morons'.. it's not a must have gadget, it's a fashion item and you are all too stupid to know better.

The iphone is no different really... except perhaps that they have finally tapped into a market where people consider phones as must have fashion accessories more than any other market... But then all it really proves it that a lot more morons own phones than mp3 players and computers.

Paris Hilton

"a subtly striped double-breasted wool suit by Canali Milano"

"When I bought my Sub Zero Fridge - they didn't tell me who to buy the power from to run the damned thing! Nor did Wolfe do so regarding the gas for the stove. Even BMW didnt' tell me where to buy fuel for the car!"

Holy crap, it's the man from American Psycho! Posting on The Register!

The missing matter...

I think that due to the way the phones are sold, I think a significant number of people will have bought the phones, took them home then failed the credit score to activate the phone.

Stop

Prices

I love the way everyone goes on about the iPhone being to expensive when they can get phones for FREE. No.. you can't, they don't give you "free" phones unless they are the really really basic ones, otherwise you pay for it, plain and simple.

An N95 on Orange lowest tariff is £249.99. The only way you get it "free" is to pay £55 a month!! Hardly free.

The closest comparison, a £35 tariff for 18 months the same as the basic O2 tariff, it'll still cost you £89 to buy the phone.

iPhone, 200 mins, 200 texts, free data including wireless Cloud access

N95, 800 mins, 100 texts, £8 a month extra for 30 mg data bundle

iPhone = £269 + £35x18 = £899

N95 = £89 + £35x18 + £8x18 = £863

so the iPhones a rip off because it costs £36 more than its nearest competitor??

Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

@AC

"Sure, Apple make more money on locked phones and less on unlocked phones, but selling an unlocked phone for less profit still beats selling nothing."

Not true. The RI Ass. of A has consistently proven that ANY illegal download is a lost sale, presumably the same applies here.

@Dana W

Stop. No doubt you will play down your fangirlism as a joke, as usual. However, it's firstly, Apple's fault for releasing a feature that isn't supported by other networks (while ignoring features that are supported by many other phones). Releasing it into the wild, if there was the desired uptake, would lead to networks adopting the necessary technology quicker, as a whole. By buying a Jebus phone you are automatically accepting that you are buying a product with less features than similarly priced products, losing one more wouldn't affect purchasing.

Re: Ipod Touch

"What annoys the hell out of me is that Apple have the same restrictions on installing 3rd party applications on the Ipod Touch that they do on the IPhone - it needs to be jailbroken before you can do this, and then updates will stop your third-party apps from running."

This is Apple's UAC, yes, security is good, but the final idea is significantly flawed.

Jobs Horns

Wrong sales model

What Apple want to do, but haven't the balls to say, is that the phone is there's. You rent it and the license to run the software: you don't buy the phone.

That howver does not match the market expectation / sales channels, and they sure as hell don't have a return policy that you'd need to support it. But that's what they want, so its about time they started to sell it.

Jobs Horns

@Gavin Taylor

No you're not the only one. The day I buy anything from Jobs' Emporium of Shite Tat is the day Satan goes ice-skating to work.

Nuff said.

Paris Hilton

How do they operate?

In the UK when you buy a phone you sign the contract and activate it at the same time. Don't like the contract? Fine, but you aren't getting the phone at the reduced rate, you can pay full retail which is £600+ for a top end Nokia.

Why can't they do the same at AT&T? Then even if you unlock it you still have the contract and you're still going to be paying Apple. Is this some cancellation grace period law in the US I'm missing?

PH angle?

Anonymous Coward

@Gavin Taylor

try one, you might like it. That is, if you can fit it into your very large handbag...

Flame

RE Prices

Don't know where you get your figures from. I didn't pay £89 for my N95, it cost me nothing. So by your gigures that takes the cost to £774

and what do i get for my money?

A 5 megapixel camera with flash, video recording capability, group sms, gps, ngage functionality coming soon through a free upgrade, 3g internet if wifi isn't available, do I really need to go on?

All in all, far more for my money than the jesus phone

Stop

Err...

Err... Nokia 1610 ftw?

Bloody 'eck mine got run over by a lorry ... bit scratched up but ... still works.

Happy

@Gavin Taylor

I'm in total agreement with the comments made by Gavin - never owned anything "i" and never will !

Thumb Up

Better still

Buy a cheap contract phone and get an iPod touch. Then you get most of the benefits of the iPhone and a cheaper deal.

Go

@Gavin Taylor

If you're so utilitarian with your gadgets, how come you have a "Smart Phone"?

Surely a Nokia 1110 (SIM free £30) or similar would be adequate for your telephony needs rather than the overly functional Sony Smart Phone when all you do is make calls and send the odd text?

There you go, I've saved you a few quid next time you come to renew your phone contract. No need to thank me ;o)

I think you'll find you're in a minority when it comes to people who have to do stuff on the move, nobody wants to carry a bag load of electronics around with them when they're traveling. On that basis, I'm holding out until the (n)Gen iPhone is released that will do everything my N95 can do, but with the cool iTouch UI and big screen. And, if the Apple bean counters are reading this, I'd happily pay upto £500 for such a device, network lock free. I understand exactly how the maths works behind phones on contract, so I'm happy to pay for the phone out right and pay for the network services separately.

Cheers.

Paris Hilton

You pays your money and makes your choice

Hello fellow readers.

No I don't wear gucci loafers or black turtlenecks or drink starbucks, but I do own an iPhone.

For the record the best Mobile 'Phone' I have ever owned was a Nokia 6310i (which I wished they would reintroduce), but the best multimedia/email/phone/web browser I have ever used is the iphone. Why because it works, yeah it sometimes a bit slow and occasionally it seems to hang, but no more than any other handset I have ever owned. Is any other handset worth paying this much for. Not that I have found so far!. It is the only phone that I can take music/Movies/photos/email on the road with that also synchronises to my outlook and dot mac email account (out of the box and ready to use in 10 minutes). Yes! so it perfectly fits my needs and I am happy. Even paying £35 a month, my blackberry 7230 used to cost me more.

If you like a lot of chocolate on your biscuit join our club, if not naff off and stop saying I shouldn't have mine.

Paris, because she is better looking than either Steve or Bill and you'd rather spend time with her than a penguin or that amanfrommars fellow.

Peace!

Boffin

Hack the SIM not the phone...

Latest approach to running the iPhone on any network is to hack the SIM card, so it doesn't matter what f/w the phone is running and you don't have to open the phone to do it.

It works a bit like chipping a games console, a wafer thin PCB and "mod chip" piggy-backs the SIM card and fools the phone into thinking it's an O2 (or whatever network) SIM.

Where there's a will, there's a way - as the saying goes...

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.