back to article WPP chief sees headroom for Internet ad growth

The amount of money companies spend on the Internet remains out of sync with the extent to which consumers are using it, claims WPP CEO Sir Martin Sorrell. Speaking at the opening of the DLD08 conference in Munich yesterday, Sorrell said that his company's clients spend about 10 per cent of their budgets on digital media, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Thumb Down

Clogged already

Why can't we have one .... service which isn't clogged with adds. I pay for my net access I resent being forced to look at all the trash clogging up my browser real estate. I pay for my web site and it's free for others access.

It's like this. When I buy a new roof for my house I resent the fact that the company whom took the old one away and put the new one insists I have a sign on my fence saying they did. I pay for the service not the right to advertise for them. I feel the same way about the net.

There isn't room for more. If we got rid of some of the add there might be more space for actual content! ;)

Before you harass me about this I do realize this isn't strictly true since no add there would be much less online. But it reflects how I feel. Adds make me angry and I regularly boy-cot companies because I feel irritated by their advertising behavior. If they were all creative I might have a laugh and actually look at the add without muting, switching channel or scrolling add out of page.

That's my bit...

(Written by Reg staff)

Re: Clogged already

It's probably a mistake to assume that increased spending would equal increased volume of ads. It could also result in higher rates, and/or a more sophisticated approach to advertising by agencies and clients. And it's not actually in the interests of the clients for their advertising to be viewed by the consumer as oppressive - pay money to make people hate you, how weird is that?

Currently, in my opinion, they don't altogether grasp where cute and clever ends and oppression begins, but in the longer term they'll start to figure it out. Or die. You probably don't notice, but we at The Register try to cousel them and divert them away from their worst excesses - I'll grant you we don't always succeed. (-:

Re: Clogged already

"I pay for my net access I resent being forced to look at all the trash clogging up my browser real estate."

I pay for road tax and petrol, but I don't think that every shop I visit in my car should be free.

I actually count myself lucky that most of what I do on the Internet is free, and somehow those banners that I never look at, much less click, pay for it all. I don't even like to think about too much in case thinking about it causes the laws of physics to come into effect, Wile E Coyote style.

Silver badge
Coat

"Froe"?

Sounds like what my black friends used to wear, back in high school -- in 1972.

Yeah, I know. Mine's the tattered denim one with the big Grateful Dead emblem embroidered on the back...

Thumb Down

I am an advertiser's worst nightmare.

I refuse to look at them, and if they FORCE me to do so, I add them to my list of companies I will *never* willingly do business with ever again. (Sony, I'm talking to you & your damn DVD adverts!)

Online I use Firefox & No Script, Remove It Permanently, and AdBlock. I might see an ad once, but thanks to FF+extensions (and a judicious use of the HOSTS file), I never see it again.

I don't watch much television, and when there IS a show on that I want to watch (Thank you, PBS & BBC!) I'll record it first. That fast forward button does WONDERS for ignoring the ads.

Radio? Sorry, stopped listening to that a looOOOong time ago - there was rarely anything worth listening to being broadcast. And once I got a deck that plays MP3 cd's, about the only thing I listen to any more is the music I already own... (There's plenty of it, considering I've been buying music for decades.)

Sorry advertisers, but you've annoyed the hell out of me, my family, my parents, grandparents, & friends for the last time. All of them have long-ago learned how to skip/ignore your garbage & improve the quality of their own lives through similar methods as my own.

You want us to pay you an iota of attention, stop being a bunch of insulting, annoying, aggravating pustules on the arse-cheek of Life.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums