back to article Apple looks to movie rentals to revive Apple TV box

Apple is to re-launch its Apple TV set-top box as a movie rental system, offering HD content for $4.99 a pop as a direct download. The hardware's getting cheaper too. Regular, DVD-quality programming will be on offer to, CEO Steve Jobs said, at a lower price: $3.99 for new titles, $2.99 for old ones. Viewers will have just 24 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. The_Police!
    Coat

And another one more thing...

...did I say 24 hours from first pressing play? I meant 12 hours!

Muhahahaha

Coat please? Please?

2. Webster Phreaky
    Jobs Horns

Bwah ha ha ha ... Apple TV is DEAD, just bury it.

Apple copied it from D-Link, Linksys and Netgear years after their intros and Apple did a piss-poor job of it. NOBODY is buying it, won't buy it, so just give up Apple Kool Aid Drinkers .... just put it on the dusty shelf with all of Apple's other huge flops.

3. eddiewrenn

Apple *still* don't get it

We've been waiting 10 years for the market to catch up with us and offer us a viable, easy, cheap way of buying high-quality (e.g. Divx) movies/TV that we can store indefinitely on our HDDs. I would pay $2 for an episode of, e.g., House, which would be $40 or the cost of a DVD per season - without any of the associated costs of a physical medium (warehousing, DVD printing, transport ot shops etc.), meaning more money for the producers and distributors.

So stop bloody tying us to your crappy limits and perishable media and give us what the market is heading towards anyway.

4. Iain

Any news on titles?

I don't have a US iTunes login; do we have any indication of the titles they're getting in HD, and most importantly if there's anything much that isn't already on HD-DVD or BluRay?

5. David Hammett
    Joke

The aim is to ensure none are sold in the UK

US$ 229 equates to .... £199

You are having a Laaaaaarfffff.

Beyond the usual dollar conversion debacle to the extreme if it was ANYWARE close to a true dollar price conversion for the hardware it may make people consider it ....

This topic is closed for new posts.