back to article Think twice about iPhone development

In this, the third and final installment in our series looking at a trio of potential, new mobile development platforms, I'm going to focus on what I view as the real dark horse in this race: the iPhone. Why is the iPhone a dark horse? Because, at the time of writing, for a device with so much potential and "cool" about it …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

Apples Targets

Of course they have made the 1.4 million target. They sold 1m to the Americans who are the worlds most gullible fools. It's just they have struggled to sell an overpriced over hyped lacking in features phone to the rest of the world

How mature is the market?

I think it's easy to get carried away with the iPhone but I think it's equally important to look at what people actually buy for phones. This isn't like the market for Palm applications of which there are thousands or for Windows Mobile of which there's a similar number. The situation for phones looks entirely different even for mature platforms like Symbian. All that people seem to buy for phones are ringtones and wallpapers and I think this is just as applicable to iPhone as it isn't a serious business device. Even BlackBerry doesn't seem to have many third-party applications as the native apps do what people want fairly well even if they aren't very polished or slick. At the minute I think trying to build apps written for a single model from one vendor is probably a very risky endeavour.

Thumb Down

why?

didnt even read past the first paragraph as I had to ask myself why you would publish this today and not wait 8 more hours when the keynote speech might give more of a clue as to the sdk features.

Seemed a bit pointless to me unless there is another agenda?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums