back to article Number 10 spinner fingered in NTL investor 'bullsh*t' suit

The man Gordon Brown hopes will pull the government out of its popularity slump was accused of deliberately misleading investors over the financial status of NTL when he was its COO. Documents filed in a New York class action suit - the cable firm was listed on Wall Street - claimed that after a 2001 conference call Stephen …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

He'll fit right in..

I can't help thinking that the ability to BullSh!t and get away with it (however expensive it is) is probably exactly the talent Brown looking for.

Silver badge
Stop

"How can you...

"Persuade voters to believe that Labour is going to protect their personal data, look after their human rights, not waste their money on PFI schemes, run the country sensibly and efficiently etc when you know it can't?"

"What I tell them is nine-tenths bullshit and one-tenth selected facts."

Yep, he's perfect for the job.

Coat

First class choice

New Labour, New Spin.

Lets hope New Labour go the same was as NTL, will Richard Bransome launch a rescue ? Virgin Labour perhaps ?

Thumb Up

New Name!

Stephen "nine-tenths bullshitter" Carter

Silver badge

Well he's nearly good enough for the PM's office

Well he's nearly good enough for the PM's office... he just needs to weed out that rogue 10% and he'll be the ideal man for the position.

Pirate

and to think that...

... the donkeys running the country still wonder why nobody trusts them with anything!

I'd love to see how Brown spins this... Of-course, he'll never sack anyone or apologise, or admit to making a mistake or expect the miscreant to resign...

Who the F*** needs the holy grail of *democracy* when this is the kind of crap that it gives you.

And to all those budding dictatorships toying with the idea of going democrappic; this is as good as it gets.

Just the man

Lying to voters is pretty much inevitable. I mean, they're a captive audience, literally. You take about 60% of their money at effective gunpoint, they're not expecting to be treated with respect after that.

Lying to investors, however, is, I would argue, much worse, because unlike taxpayers they've made a conscious, voluntary decision to hand you thousands of pounds on the promise of a return.

Even among the Brown Politburo, Stephen "nine-tenths" Carter is going to stand out as a complete douchebag.

Black Helicopters

Look, they NEED someone like that

Let's face it, it's going to take someone seriously good to spin turning a surplus into a deficit and losing most people's pensions on top into something that will make people want to vote Labour ever again.

What's more, he's the last culprit looking for a job. Mandelson got himself onboard the EU gravy train and Blair just joined JP Morgan because there is serious work to be done in Iraq (how do you spell Halliburton again?).

Astonishingly, about the only one emerging with any credit from that whole era is Piers Morgan, and there is nobody more amazed about that than I am. Even after the Slickers affair..

Paris Hilton

So

So this seems to hark back to to the last days of John Major when it appeared that every other day another scandal would arrive to replace yesterdays headlines in the tabloids !

Poor old Gordon Brown running a run down soon to be replaced dead in the water government that is on the nose to entire countries residents and the drastically under funded very weak military forces running on zero spares with shoot the real leaders of men mentality mandate inclusive and yet still tied down with no room to move by fellow morons across the Atlantic to the west of UK (Harper the deaf dumb and blind in the former colony and the craziest chimp in the world who is suffering from his inferiority complex) and then there is the crazy Scots up north allied to the strange but odd Welsh mob , what truly eclectic mix of oddities to toady up to .

You can't really expect much from a lame duck dead in water government whose leaders are still living in the nineteenth century and unable to put a handle on the endless war that never was is now a very expensive white elephant that has all but wiped out the UK Military forces offensive capabilities and reduced them to the equivalent of a fourth world power !

In the Westminster System oppositions do not win the elections unless the ruling government shat's upon itself like a flock shags sitting in a tree(you really do not want to under the same tree when a flock of shags arrive but one John Howard forever condemned by the pages of history to be a permanent number two man in both Oz and international politics can tell how to lose the election you can't lose!) !

Paris is chosen because she lost the plot along time ago .

Flame

In between NTL and Number 10, Mr Carter was also

in charge of appointing his ex-NTL colleagues to senior positions at Ofcon, moves which ultimately led to the state the UK broadband market finds itself in today: "free" broadband that isn't, "unlimited" broadband that isn't, a polarisation between "with LLU" and "without LLU" areas in terms of services and prices, and in the LLU areas, multiple sets of unnecessarily duplicated equipment and infrastructure. All just to see which of the LLU ISPs can offer the lowest margin, worst quality, "free" broadband service without actually going bust before their competitors.

And for the folks not fooled by "free" broadband, there's little chance of quality service at a reasonable price, not for much longer anyway, because Ofcom largely let BT do whatever they want to do. All Ofcom *really* needed to do was get a proper regulatory rein on BT, and we could have done without this LLU broadband nonsense. But no...

Ofcom. You know it makes sense. Just not on this planet.

Paris Hilton

I've an idea...

We give Paxman an electric chair a'la Dr Marvin Monroe's family therapy centre and via the magic of the interweb the general public are allowed to shock politicians when they won't answer the question or we suspect they're lying? Of course it'd mean an increase in the licence fee to cover the electricity bills but I for one would be happy to pay.

Happy

Legal or illegal?

Illegally lied?

Well, perhaps there is nothing better than a legal lie?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums