Feeds

back to article NY corpse attempts to cash welfare cheque

Two men were arrested yesterday in New York's Hell's Kitchen district after failing to convince staff at a "check-cashing store" to honour the welfare cheque of a deceased friend, the New York Times reports. Virgilio Cintron, 66, recently popped his clogs at his apartment at 436 West 52nd Street. His roommate James P. O’Hare and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Pirate

Weekend at Bernies III

At least this sequel sounds more exciting than the first two 'Weekend at Bernies' movies.

Happy

Oops!

Only in America!

Anonymous Coward

Lucky they weren't in the UK

They have first been arrested for murder, then with supplying a class A drug. Not that they'd investigate a death, determine a cause, then if the cause is suspicious, investigating the crime, then arrest the most likely suspect.

Nope, that's not how it works now in the UK anymore.

You find a dead TV presenter in the bath, you immediately arrest the grieving boyfriend for murder. If he's not there, arrest the nearest calm person for being 'too calm'.

Gold badge
Happy

@Andrew

You're on the right track. Now try spinning out "being bloody silly by wheeling a corpse to a shop to cash a cheque and getting arrested" to fill a two hour movie. I think you'll find it comes out just like the first two.....

oxo
Coat

Re: Lucky they weren't in the UK

He was lucky to *only* get arrested. At least they didn't chase him onto a tube train then stand on him and blow his brains out.

Time to find another country to live methinks...

Not in the UK.

In the UK they would have probably got the cash and it would have taken the DWP 6 months to notice he was even dead, who would have then spent 3 years trying to take a dead guy to court for the overpaid amount.

Unhappy

Here they would have arrested the dead guy for obstructing the side walk. Also 'with his trousers at half mast and a jacket covering his "midesection" ' they have done the corpse for indicent exposure just to make sure they get a conviction.

Flame

@oxo

> Time to find another country to live methinks...

I wholly agree... I nominate Afghanistan or Iraq... your life assurance company might not be so pleased though... :-)

Unhappy

not forgetting to charge the corpse with committing an indecent act with an office chair and placing him on the sex offenders register.

Coat

Dead Wrong

no more jokes here please, you lot are flogging a dead ermm horse..

Dons hat and leaves..

Bronze badge
Happy

Re: Dead Wrong

no more jokes here please, you lot are flogging a dead ermm horse..

Dons hat and leaves..

Why are you wearing leaves? Wouldn't a jacket make more sense? (BoomBOOM!)

Flame

Titsup

I thought the article was educational - I never realized that titsup was a military term (Total Inability To Support Usual Performance) - I always thought it just meant flat on your back as it tits-up - who would have thunked it.

Coat

Sure is lucky he wasn't in the UK

Over here, he wouldn't have a welfare cheque anyway because they would have sent it with a courier. TNT of course...

Silver badge
Coat

Need biometrics!!

Of course, the answer to all of this is biometrics. Oh, you need a fingerprint, no problem, I'll get him in here to give it to you. Never mind that the finger has assumed room temperature (or lower). Pay no attention. I have the ID card here somewhere.....

Out the door in great haste.

Bronze badge

@oxo

"He was lucky to *only* get arrested. At least they didn't chase him onto a tube train then stand on him and blow his brains out."

He was in NYC he wouldn't get that far. NYPD shot a guy 41 times because they thought his wallet was gun. NYPD also raped a man with a broom stick in the cop shop.

Coat

@one of the anon

"Dons hat and leaves.."

Surely you actually mean "Dons hat, and leaves.." otherwise WFT were you doing with Don's leaves?

Coat

@ Steve Welsh

And Don's hat, for that matter.

Dead Vulture

usa is bigger so odds of finding a dead body is higher.

Google news on "palm desert body dumpster".

Just down the road from where I was working someone left a body outside a dumpster for a maintenance worker to find and load. Maybe the "finding" out part was not in the equation at the time; cannot say too much as information not released by police yet. :)

Anonymous Coward

@oxo

Go on then. Goodbye. Don't stay in touch. Hope you enjoy your new life in Eutopia.

You still here?

Paris Hilton

what!...no Paris ???

I was soooooo hoping Paris Hilton had something to do with all this, especially when reading "with his trousers at half mast and a jacket covering his "midesection".......but alas no.

This topic is closed for new posts.