The Royal Air Force intends to purchase additional MQ-9 "Reaper" unmanned aircraft from the United States, it has been revealed. According to a press release from the US Defence Security Cooperation Agency, the UK has applied to buy ten Reaper airframes to add to its initial fleet of three. In addition, the RAF seeks to purchase …
Maybe they're taking their UK pricing cues from Microsoft?
Makes a change
As usual, the MoD has been stitched up on price by the Yanks.
But what's happening? We usually buy perfectly serviceable aeroplanes from the US (OK, the batch of ex-USN Phantoms that were held together with paint and filler excepted, but we could have had new F-16 for the same price anyway), then strip out known working equipment and replace it with often unproven, more expensive, "locally sourced" kit instead.
There again, maybe we've been left so far behind in the UAV field, there is no locally sourced kit that fits?
- Review This is why we CAN have nice things: Samsung Galaxy Alpha
- MEN: For pity's sake SLEEP with LOTS of WOMEN - and avoid Prostate Cancer
- Ex-Soviet engines fingered after Antares ROCKET launch BLAST
- Hate the BlackBerry Z10 and Passport? How about this dusty old flashback instead?
- Apple spent just ONE DOLLAR beefing up the latest iPad Air 2