back to article Revealed: Skype on Linux-based Intel mobile internet gadgets

Skype is developing a version of its VoIP app for Intel's Mobile Internet Device (MID) concept handheld. Want to see what the software and the chip giant's hardware looks like? Intel Mobile Internet Device running Skype Intel's MID concept: Skype on board Intel's hardware designs are purely conceptual – they're intended to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Thumb Up

This may be significant

Skype on Linux. Two very distruptive technologies coming together on (what one would hope will also be) low cost deveices.

You have to admire the Skype guys - putting together a fantastic marketing machine and tons of partners. And all using ye olde Windows PC as a Trojian Horse to get customers used to it.

Linux of course has to benefit enormously also and with these portable devices you might say that the next target is Symbian- or at least Windows Mobile

I wonder if these will be a s cheap or maybe even cheaper than the eeePC.

Using these low end devices as an entry point for linux into the mass market does sound very much like Komatsu's "Surround Caterpillar" strategy that worked so well in that past

Nothing new

Looks like a rip of the Nokia N800 and N810 to me.

We know what they look like

Nokia have been making them for a couple of years now. Come on Dell, get with the programme.

Silver badge

Why so slow Intel?

Skype has been running on Nokia's Linux-based Internet Tablet gadget for some time now - albeit without video. Perhaps Texas Instrument's ARM processor is easier to program than Intel's?

This post has been deleted by its author

If you need some help

I can provide you with a photo of my N800 running Skype and a SIP phone as well as a Mozilla based browser running Google Docs and Google talk. I sorry it's not a concept demo though just your actual purchasable product (£130 play.com).

Maybe Intel needs to get out more.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums