back to article Bhutto murder used to spread malware

Virus writers are exploiting morbid curiosity about the assassination of former Pakistani Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto's to spread malware. Surfers searching for video footage of the suicide attack that killed Bhutto and at least 21 others on Thursday are liable to find malware posing as video clips that attempts to trick …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Morely Dotes
    Joke

What? But that's not possible!

"Sites that have been possibly compromised (or that include the malicious JavaScript), including Autoworld, Vino, Dogpile, MSN and BlogSpot, Trend Micro warns."

MSN? Surely not! Surely MSN would be running Vista, the "most secure Windows ever," and could therefor not possibly be compromised!

Funnily enough, I spoke with a (highly successful) salesman this morning who, after having been exposed to Vista (that is, forced to "upgrade" from XP) at work, went out and bought a Mac to use at home. He's not worried about viruses and trojans, for some reason...

2. kain preacher

WTF

How did this become an anti Microsoft rant ??.

3. BitTwister

@kain preacher

> How did this become an anti Microsoft rant ??.

Perhaps because, as usual, Microsoft's software is STILL vulnerable by design. Maybe some people are finally beginning to ask "why should I have to keep dealing with this second-rate crap?". It's about time...

4. kain preacher

Mac

SO do you think if Apple was the dominant computer make we would not see these issue ??

5. Steve Browne

Maybe they'll fix it now

Perhaps it will jerk them into action and they will fix the shortcomings of their offerings. If Microsoft put as much effort into the boring bits as they quite obviously put into the visible bits, then I am sure they could actually produce an operating system that works properly.

6. lowly seer

Or more likely...

It'll speed the migration amongst windows users to firefox or opera, which don't natively support ActiveX and as such as safe from this glaring security hole. For that percentage of die-hards that want to keep using IE, simplest thing would be to switch off ActiveX controls completely.

Strangely enough, I'd seen other sites wanting to download ActiveX support that I'd hit with Opera just recently, while AVG was screaming at me about malware. I'd honestly forgotten ActiveX even existed until then.

7. Test Man
    Alert

Re: What? But that's not possible!

Actually, MSN would be running on a SERVER OS (like Windows 2003), not Vista, doh!

Besides, Trend Micro says "possibly", which isn't the same as "actually". So your rant completely falls over and buries itself.

Try again.

8. David

ah, erm...

"He's not worried about viruses and trojans, for some reason..."

I use XP, vista, 98 and nix, and i'm not worried about viruses or trojans either,

9. BitTwister

@kain preacher

> SO do you think if Apple was the dominant computer make we would not see these issue ??

Absolutely. Or Linux. Security has little or nothing to do with numbers, but EVERYTHING to do with basic OS design principles. Something with which Microsoft has never demonstrated any ability whatever.

10. Colin
    Coat

@BitTwister

Absolutely wrong. I am sorry if I annoy you by saying that, but it doesn't matter how well you build your OS if a criminal wants to get into your system, eventually he will it's just a matter of time and resources.

There's an old saying that applies here, "Locks are for honest people".

Admittedly Microsoft's poor attitude to secure computing hasn't helped matters. They did create the idiot OS for every luser and in doing so created the opportunity for all the net scum out there to wreak the havoc they currently do.

There was only ever one way to keep that from happening and that was to keep computers out of the hands of people that would get out of their depth on a wet pavement. You give one of these people a Mac or a nix PC they'd still do stupid things and the scummers would simply change to take advantage of that.

People who might get their name right 3 times in 5 when asked for it, are using computers and clicking all the nice shiney things. These people are the same ones that don't lock all their doors and windows when they go out and then complain when they get burgled.

So long as we have lusers, we will have scummers to prey on them it's a fact of life throughout nature, the weak get killed and eaten. In our more "civilised world" the weak get spammed, infected and their bank accounts get emptied.

Rant over I'll get me coat.

11. TheHempKnight

Hmmm

given the undersubject of this thread, I would say that Vista is probably TOO protective of all the wrong things... but it's also true of other versions of Windows and other MS products like MSN.

For instance if I dare to open an MSN email with images or hell, even LINKS in it, it kindly informs me that it has blocked images for my own protection... this even happens with 'trusted' email addresses etc.

12. Graham Lockley

Tired arguments

> SO do you think if Apple was the dominant computer make we would not see these issue ??

Didnt take long for this thread to hit LaLa Land did it ?

As the old adage says, the only way to make a computer completely safe is to leave it turned off.

I dont care how often Apple fans and Linux fans say otherwise, its the obscurity of the OS that protects them most.

Oh and Ive been dabbling/dual booting with Linux since Redhat 2 (and a version of Slackware that I dont recall) since you ask.

13. BitTwister

@Colin @Graham Lockley

> Absolutely wrong. I am sorry if I annoy you by saying that,

No no, not annoyed at all. Just saddened that someone thinks all OS's are subject to the same basic flaws irrespective of their entirely differing design, security model and CPU.

> its the obscurity of the OS that protects them most

That hasn't done Microsoft much good, has it? Oh wait; you're not talking about the obscurity of closed software which allows no form of peer approval, examination, discussion or realistic testing of the security implemented (which OSS does, BTW) - you're basically saying the same thing as Colin. I can't really see how this odd 'logic' of the more targets, the easier they are to break applies to something as ubiquitous as Unix/BSD (which is what REALLY holds the net together) and Linux generally (which implements the same basic security model).

You're both SO far wrong it's just sad. Very sad.

14. James Comer
    Flame

Bit Twister - no i dont think you understand

You seem to have failed to grasp the point that Graham Lockley had made.

The fundamental reason you are 'safer' using a mac is the relative number of users compared to windows. Think of malware/spyware/viruses as complementary products to operating systems and thinking of the people who make them as businesses. Which operating system are you going to compliment so that your product has the biggest impact, the one that 80% of the world uses or the one that 5% of the world uses?

Is Vista perfect? was Xp? No. Far from it. But you know they are still amongst the best commercially available operating systems in the world. Obviously the advantages of open sources software are going to be the weaknesses of Microsofts products. The main catalyst behind the anti-microsoft movement is the fact that geeks (and yes people who write in these forums are geeks, myself included) derive their power from their knowledge, the same as conspiracy theorists, it is therefore fashionable to oppose the mighty and the conventional.

If MS packed up and stopped producing software tomorrow and all we were left with was the products of open source collaboration, the world would be a much worse place. Coupled with the fact that Microsoft is the biggest charity in the world, it takes the truely ignorant to be so dismissive.

You're SO wrong, it's just funny. Very funny.

15. BitTwister

@James Comer

> You seem to have failed to grasp the point that Graham Lockley had made.

Not at all: I understood his use of 'obscurity' with respect to lack of malware but decided to reply using the more realistic usage with respect to the problems closed ('security by obscurity') software is responsible for causing.

But this "it's safe only because no-one bothers to attack such a small target" is such a bogus argument, considering how many variations on the 'MACs and Linux are more secure than Windows' theme there are floating about - granted, some rabid and others more reasoned - so surely this is a much better target considering the claims made. And sorry; I have the same difficulty with considering malware creators as a business as I do with considering a bout of 'flu as 'great fun'. They're simply leeches feeding on the same open sores on Windows which have never been healed properly. Windows is an easy malware target not because of the user base, just because it's so EASY.

It's also bogus because the fallacious argument of 'any OS is vulnerable' is childishly simplistic and assumes that any other OS or application is as badly written as Microsoft's output. Actually, they're not.

> they are still amongst the best commercially available operating systems in the world.

<hollow laugh> Better to add the rider "and if Microsoft had its way, the ONLY system in the world". An interesting use of the word "available", too. Most manufacturers refuse point-blank to sell a machine with no OS so perhaps "chosen for you" might fit better.

> The main catalyst behind the anti-microsoft movement is (...) geeks (...) derive their power from their knowledge, the same as conspiracy theorists

Hardly. Unlike conspiracy nut-jobs' ravings, Microsoft's OS vulnerability problems are documented fact and Microsoft is rightly attacked for consistently producing sub-standard software. It doesn't matter how much better a MAC or Linux box may/may not be: huge, HUGE problems are being caused *now* yet nothing has really been done to change that. It's no good blaming users for clicking on a URL when that's what is supposed to be done with them yet somehow, they're *still* likely to have their system infested simply because the OS allows it without comment at a single click.

> If MS packed up and stopped producing software tomorrow and all we were left with was the products of open source collaboration

...then the hordes of malware bots and the legion of crap *directly* enabled by Windows' shoddy quality would vanish overnight and nothing of any significance would be capable of replacing them.

> Coupled with the fact that Microsoft is the biggest charity in the world

I'm sorry; this matters how, exactly? That Gates gives away some of his obscene wealth means I should somehow regard Windows differently?

This topic is closed for new posts.