Sun Microsystems is finally giving up building its own Java integrated tools suites after a long and painful slog. Development of Sun Java Studio Creator, launched amid much hype three years ago as the new force in visual-drag-and-drop, interface development, and the stately Studio Enterprise are to be discontinued, the company …
"No word on Sun Studio for C.."
Other sources quote Sun Studio as staying for sure, which makes sense as it is vital for the OpenSolaris project.
Another year, another confusing name for C compiler
What will it be called in '08?
No, really sir, it's the same "cc", just a completely different name.
Sun ONE studio
Java studio creator
Confusing between IDE and Compilers
Sun Studio Compilers (C, C++ and Fortran) are well and fine and reports of its death are greatly exaggerated.
In fact, adoption of these Compilers has improved considerably by some metrics.
I think this particular discussion is about IDEs. Sun Studio IDE is based on Netbeans CDP (aka, C/C++ Developers Pack). This pack is rolled into the "base platform" which makes it more language-neutral (ie. not just Java. Netbeans also supports JRuby/Ruby on Rails and dynamic scripting, etc).
Dont mix up compilers with this IDE story.
PS. Its not the story that creates this confusion; just the comments. Hence the clarification
- 'Kim Kardashian snaps naked selfies with a BLACKBERRY'. *Twitterati gasps*
- Crawling from the Wreckage THE DEATH OF ECONOMICS: Aircraft design vs flat-lining financial models
- Pics Facebook's Oculus unveils 360-degree VR head tracking Crescent Bay prototype
- Bargain basement iPhone shoppers BEWARE! eBay exposes users to phishing vuln
- Google+ GOING, GOING ... ? Newbie Gmailers no longer forced into mandatory ID slurp