back to article Nokia develops eco phone concept

Nokia is challenging traditional mobile phone concepts and seeking to help the environment in one go, with the unveiling of its Eco Sensor Concept handset design. The Finnish phone giant claims it designed the handset not only to be capable of making calls, but also to provide individual and ecological benefits. While the Eco …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Horridbloke
    Thumb Down

Am I missing the point...

...or would holding onto your existing handset for more than a week be much better environmentally?

Message to the world's teenagers and IT types: "Get a life, it's only a phone".

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Does it stop eating power when not connected to a phone?

From what I have been told when a mobile phone charger is plugged in it eats power. Given that many of us leave these things plugged in, it seems the most simple step to save power is to stop the plug eating power when not connected to a phone. Does this phone/charger have this capability?

3. Bruno Girin
    Thumb Up

Battery Life?

So if it's all meant to be eco-friendly and consume less energy, does it mean it will have a decent battery life? Extending battery life seems like an obvious way to be eco-friendly and appeal to customers at the same time.

4. Matt Morgan

"Recyclable" means nothing

"Recyclable" is the same thing as "not recycled."

What you need to look for is products made out of post-consumer, recycled material. That actually supports recycling.

5. Electro Boy
    Thumb Down

Yawn

Yyyyaaaaawwwwnnnnnnnnn.......zzzzzzzzzzzzz.......and other similar sentiments!!

6. Matt
    Pirate

not solar?

The pointless sensor thing is solar powered, but not the phone itself?

7. andy rock
    Stop

sounds like...

...more quasi-green horseshit to me. i've it up to here [gestures at head height] of all the marketing crap attached to environmentalism now. it's been turned into 'just another market'. eco-fuels, carbon offsetting for your 20 flights a year, phones with 2% recyclable arse. aaaarrrrggh!!! stop it!!

seriously, though, we need to consume LESS. that's all we can do. either that or have a rather large war, which i'm not _too_ keen on.

interesting article on green consumerism here:

http://www.monbiot.com/archives/2007/07/24/eco-junk/

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Eco phone

Mobiles use lots of power when a long way away from the nearest mast, so the best way to reduce power consumption (and reduce the strength of mobile phone radiation) is to increase the number of phone masts.

Also, running a mobile off the mains will reduce the power it consumes as it stops the battery going flat. However, it would be best to be able to isolate the mains from the battery unless the battery is flat and needs charging anyway. A phone that had a mains use only function would be necessary to maximise the power saving.

Other obvious ways of greenifying your phone use:

Don't use your phone to talk when you can text instead.

Switch your phone off when you are not needing it.

Don't send pictures unless you have to.

If you are on the bus, leave your phone in your pocket rather than watching videos or playing games.

Allow the battery to run down naturally to zero (or as close as you can cope with)before you charge your mobile.

Don't replace your phone until you need to.

Don't use your mobile when a land-line is available.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like