back to article Ofcom sets new deadline for mobile number porting

Mobile phone networks must allow consumers moving to a rival network to take their mobile number with them and consumers must be able to receive calls on that number within two hours of moving to the new network, under new rules coming into force in 2009. Consumers can currently wait for up to five days for number porting …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

5 days?

It took me 15 days when I ported my number over at the end of September (thank you O2 for changing the terms of my contract so that I could claim breach and leave after 8 months).

2. Liam O'Flaherty
    Thumb Down

It'll be because of your service provider being twonks!

I'd NEVER go back to BT if you paid me, they're customer service is even WORSE than my current network provider Orange :S

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Me too

Dam o2!!!

I was transferring a business user account number to a personal (iPhone) account number and so far it has taken roughly about 10 days.

4. Brett Brennan
    Boffin

If you've ever worked on Telco software...

...you'll know what a BITCH this is going to be. Trust me on this one: "churn" works both ways, and getting the list of numbers sent is the least of the worries. Updating the {insert stupidly large number} of databases that track the calls to provide billing data back to the home telco is the real culprit in the delay. Remember, every bit of network that carries the call packets - possibly owned by dozens of different carriers - has to send charge-back data to the owning telco. It's these changes that are the BIG hindrance to number porting.

Not defending the telcos here, although I've made my share of consulting US$$$ working on integrating these "billers" as they're called: all the telcos world-wide need to update and standardize their inter-carrier charge-back system. Still, it's an amazing complex of data exchange...the bear is dancing...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

"common database"

No-one's noticing the one big database part of this article then? Where are the tin-foil hat brigade when you need them 0 surely this speeding up porting etc is just a cover so the authorities can get hold of your phone records more easily...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Common Database????

To Anonymouse Coward..

I was thinking that too... How many more "common databases" are there going to be in the name of "consumer convenience"???

I hate the day where you have to have a chip implanted just to be able to travel outside your borders!

7. pctechxp
    Coat

@ The Anonymous Cowards Re: Common Database

Why does intelligent debate always have to ambushed by morons making stupid comments and not having the bottle to stand behind them?

The reason for a common database here as stated is so that calls are terminated on the network of the customer's choice as at the present time number blocks are assigned to specific telcos, when the customer ports out they have to change a setting on their servers so that the incoming call is routed to the correct network.

So when you dial the number from a landline the call is routed to the network who has been assigned the specific number block (who are referred to as the donor network) who in turn forward it to the network the number is now on (the recipient network).

the recipient network pays the donor network a consideration for routing the call.

Snag is, if the donor network goes bust and so the lights go out in their data centres, the customer loses their number and this can be devastating for business customers.

Therefore the idea is that the info on what network numbers are ported onto should be stored on a database that maybe under the control of Ofcom or an independent organisation so that doesn't happen.

If you are going to post such a comment, at least suggest an alternative rather than the 'end of the world is nigh' rubbish.

Yep I agree that government can exploit information but in this particular situation, there is no other technical solution.

Here's another thought to spook you, ICANN is under the control of the US government and if they wanted to, they could probably track you down via your IP address.

Sleep well and don't have nightmares, oh but wait you are a nightmare!

pctechxp

8. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

UK is so behind it

Ha,

We have had this for years, Currently in Ireland it takes less than 1hour to have your number ported and that has been for the last 3 years.....

Makes it very easy to jump provider....

Suppose you will catch on eventually!

9. Sam Therapy
    Gates Horns

@Anonymous Coward

I'm not surprised porting only takes 1 hour in Ireland. There are only about 4 mobile phone users there, right? :P

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like