back to article Wii grasses up cheating wife

A US soldier discovered his missus had been playing away at home after spotting a suspicious "Mii" on his Nintendo Wii, the Evening Standard reports. The man, known only as Tony, returned from a year in Iraq to reports from chums that his wife had been cheating on him. He'd had the Wii for company while on service in Iraq, but …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

What sis he expect?

After a year away...

2. Colin Millar
    Unhappy

I couldn''t resist

I had to know what a Wii Mii was so I looked it up.

I no longer have any hope for the future of humankind.

3. Chris Pasiuk
    Thumb Up

Parental Controls Bite Parents Back

I have a Wii and as cool as it is, I have to admit the audit trail of game time is a great tool for parents to monitor the amount of time spent playing on the Wii. In this case, it's also pretty damning to the wife as good ol' Tony can see all the nights someone was 'comforting' his wife. It logs the user, the game played and the amount of time played per game for the day.

I wonder if that would stand up in court?

Philanderer Lesson #1: Stay off the Wii unless you bring your own.

4. Simon Neill

This is why...

you fool around with a guys wife, not his hardware.

5. steve
    Stop

Maybe......

He expected his wife not to cheat? Silly i know. After all, what does marriage really mean........

6. Graham Dawson Silver badge
    Boffin

@Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Ever heard of "till death us do part"? I think all he expected was for his wife to stick to the promise she made on their wedding day.

7. Peter Richard

Wii! I am now a Mii!

It's interesting that things changed from the first person plural "Wii" to first person singular "Mii" so quickly

8. Grant
    Thumb Up

@This is why...

+1

(this line is because Reg.won't let me post just +1)

9. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Samsung introduce hi capacity flash cards....

...especially for Ulrika Johnson's Wii. Hopes to double the capacity for Paris Hiltons Wii in the near future.

Announce Samsung, "our expert R&D dept hope to match the capacity of Paris herself in the coming months, it will be a difficult task but we think we're up to it."

10. Brian Henry
    Dead Vulture

The real question is...

Who gets the Wii in the divorce?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

@Vladimir Plouzhnikov

If she didn't want to be alone for a whole year she could have made other arrangements; they do exist - It's called a divorce!

Cheating, OTOH is just sick, unjustifiable and if I'd just returned from a one year tour of duty in Iraq (putting my life on the line) to find my wife had been cheating on me... Let's just say I'd ignore the divorce and get medievil on her ass!

12. David Woods

What a sad affair

What is the world coming to? Surely you play bowling on the Wii with the spouse, not your lover...

13. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

My Ex's...

...normally find out via Youtube. Does the wii have a Youtube channel?

14. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

@Graham Dawson

"Ever heard of "till death us do part"?"

Well, yes I did. But the wows say "love, cherish, etc etc till death do us part", there is nothing about "I will not have sex with anyone if you disappear for a year"...

Maybe, just maybe, Tony hadn't used the services of any local sex workers during his tour of duty (although I doubt it very much), but that still does not justify divorcing one's wife for a fleeting infidelity when he clearly wasn't available to perform his marital functions. No sympathy for this guy...

15. Mr Chris

Love mii tender...

Well, he'll be looking forward to the decree Mii-si.

/gets coat.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

this will cost me my geek card..

but shouldn't he be more worried about the nights they weren't playing videogames ?

17. Anarchy

snakes...

... with tits

18. Mr Chris

@ myself

Or "decWii Mii-si" for added punnage.

19. Keith Templeman
    Coat

After the divorce

The Wii becomes Hii and Shii again . . .

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Title

Having googled Mii (ok I know this is a Tech News site, but you could write in English) am I right in concluding that all that happened was some communication over a network ?

If so, the implication that one is "cheating" when one hasn't even met "the other guy", boggles the mind. Hey my avatar played bowls with your avatar. Big deal.

21. Sampler
    Stop

Woah, woah, woah

Girls can't have guys as friends and play on the Wii together?

If she's supposed to be seeing someone behind his back surely they'd have better things to be getting down to then a spot of Wii bowling.

Obviously a dumb cow as that would easily be able lie your way out of as a "just friedns" situation.

My girlfriend has lots of male friends - am I worried - am I chuffers.

(then again she's an actress and all her male friends are from the theatre, which we all know means they're gay)

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Vladimir Plouzhnikov

"Maybe, just maybe, Tony hadn't used the services of any local sex workers during his tour of duty (although I doubt it very much)"

On a tour in Iraq? You're an idiot.

23. Trinity

Eh?

Since when did playing bowls with someone (IRL or virtually) constitute adultery?

24. Ross
    Heart

Missing something

Is the story missing something or am I?

The guy seems to have proof that his wife has played online bowling on the Wii with some guy he doesn't know. And now he wants a divorce? Damn, I need to cancel my WoW subscription before my lady realises there are (admittedly only a handful) of women on there...

I am not au fait with the intracacies of the Wii so apologies if I missed something here.

25. Pedantic Twat
    Coat

@Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Jesus mate, what did your wife do to you?!?!

26. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Headline writers not doing their job

Guess I'll have to:

'Mii so horny, love you vely much!'

Coat, extra long chewproof sleeves please.

27. Andrew Wood
    Unhappy

Its all Mii Mii Mii

Well Mr Plouzhnikov I hope there is no Mrs Plouzhnikov as you clearly have no concept of commitment.

If a man and his wife have no intention of dedicating themselves exclusivley to each other then theres little point in getting married in the first place.

Abstaining from Intercourse for a year really isnt such a big deal (a phone call and some diy stimulation can be a good substitute) and if somobody thinks its more important to 'get it off' than to maintain the relationship they freely entered into then the marrige is probably not worth saving.

Besides its not just the Adultery its the lying about it afterwards.

28. Hollerith

Bowling?

I'd ask for a divorce because of the game. Infidelity and they played *bowling*? I mean, geez...

29. Mike Moyle

@Vladimir Plouzhnikov

...So, Vlad... do you approve of those policy statements from your bank/whatever that say "we reserve the right to change these rules to our advantage at any time and hold you to them, whether you like it or not'?

Because that IS what you're arguing - that any partner to a contract has the right to unilaterally change the rules at any time. Now, assuming that this was one of the common marriage ceremonies that uses the phrase "cleaving only to each other, so long as you both shall live," then that is a pretty definitive contractual term that should ONLY be altered by an agreement of both parties (and I have acquaintances who HAVE made those arrangements - but BOTH PARTIES AGREED to the amendment!).

Now, you seem to believe that if one partner is away for a year, the other has the right to look elsewhere for sex. Now, what's the LOWER limit? I mean, obviously, he was away for LESS than a year when she started in with her "bowling buddy". So is, say, six months a reasonable lower limit for you? How about three months? What if she couldn't go for a month? Is that okay?

Suppose - assuming that you ever find someone to marry you - that you know that your spouse can't go three days without sex, and your boss sends you out of town for a week... You will, of course, be understanding if you find your spouse and the plumber testing the shower together when you come home?

Finally, regarding your comment that, "Maybe, just maybe, Tony hadn't used the services of any local sex workers during his tour of duty (although I doubt it very much)...", I draw your attention to the words of George Bernard Shaw: "(A pessimist is) A man who thinks everyone as nasty as himself and hates them for it.”

30. Anonymous John
    Paris Hilton

Googles. Aha!

So this is a Mii and not a pretext for showing the PH icon?

31. Adam Williamson

sign the guys up for an endorsement deal

I'd say there's two endorsement deals going here - the husband for the tracking, and the lover for Wii Sports. I mean, he's a professional bowler, and he liked Wii Sports bowling enough to play it regularly for long periods - sounds like a winner to me!

ross and anonymous coward - yes, you are missing something. You can't play Wii Sports online. Physical presence is required.

earlier anonymous coward - if cheating on your partner is "sick" and "unjustifiable", "get[ting] medievil (sic) on her ass" is at least doubly so. You're a pathetic specimen of humanity.

32. Anonymous Coward
    Heart

There's no online gaming...

in Wii sports. They were together, balls were involved.

33. Jay Zelos

@anon

AFAIK Playing bowling on a Wii is on the same console.

Basicly the fellas wife seems to have had a male friend over to stay a number of nights.

34. Dave

@ Those who think that it was online

Mii's can be stored ON the console. He found that guy's Mii on his console, THAT is the problem. He was there, in the house with her, with his Mii character installed on the trooper's gamebox. (And his Wii installed in her!)

35. Anonymous Coward
    Mars

Tip of the Day!

Next time don't go on illegal wars and help kill innocent people.

To be fair he's got off lightly.

36. Michael
    Thumb Down

@ Grant

Grant, this is not slashdot.

Go away.

37. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Re: flame

@Oli Wright: "On a tour in Iraq? You're an idiot."

If you think there are no prostitutes in Iraq you are a moron.

http://www.themuslimwoman.org/entry/baghdad-women-opting-for-prostitution-as-the-only-solution/

@Andrew Wood: "a phone call and some diy stimulation can be a good substitute".

Apparently, in Thailand you can be beheaded for that.

"Well Mr Plouzhnikov I hope there is no Mrs Plouzhnikov as you clearly have no concept of commitment."

You are wrong on both counts and also you've confused commitment with bodily functions.

@Mike Moyle: "So is, say, six months a reasonable lower limit for you? How about three months? What if she couldn't go for a month? Is that okay?"

I trust my wife to make right decisions, she trusts me to do the same. Whether I would consider adultery to be a breach of such trust, if I were in Tony's shoes, depends on many things, but the fact of adultery itself will not be sufficient.

If you're prepared to divorce a woman you're supposedly love just because she slept with someone under mitigating circumstances your marriang was not worth a penny in the first place.

And you don't have to be a pessimist to be a realist, Bernard Shaw notwithstanding.

38. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

@Kirk Bannister

You're just like the wife... approve the war first, then when things don't go your way, decide you were just kidding. You save-the-unemployed-homeless-gay-baby-whales-tree-huggers don't seem to understand that soldiers don't usually *try* to shoot innocent people. It's usually when they start to shoot at you that you kill them.

So much for standing behind our troops. Guess America learned nothing from Vietnam. Then again, the divorce rate usually skyrockets when the troops start to come home.

39. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Grounds for Divorce

The couple must have had some pretty freaky marriage vows if they prohibit playing computer games with members of the opposite sex. Or perhaps in the US, bowling (or virtual bowling) constitutes sexual activity? I'm surprised Jack Thompson isn't calling for Wii Sports to be banned.

40. Rick Brasche
    Stop

@ AC

"I'm surprised Jack Thompson isn't calling for Wii Sports to be banned."

SSSSHHHH!!! Don't give that crackpot any ideas! It's a "pin murder simulator!"...then the SPCA gets in on it, there's a variation of the old "Duck Hunt" game as well!

41. Morely Dotes

Re: My Ex's...

"Does the wii have a Youtube channel?"

In a manner of speaking, yes: Assuming you have Opera installed, you can use http://www.viewii.com/ or one of several other YouTube "relays."

Although I'd have expect your ex's to be browsing sites (not to be named here) other than YouTube

42. tim chubb
    Pirate

eh?

wasnt the mii found on his machine?, e.g. it had been created locally

dunno the wii very well, think its a bit of a crappy novelty device tbh, certainly havnt seen any games id want to pay for, or havnt got bored of after 20 mins of playing on a friends

then again shiney white plastic tends to provoke that reaction in me, ipods still and always will be shit to my mind

anyways, doesnt the storey remind ne else of that simpsons episode where marge goes bowling.....

43. Mary

good grief

I think if my husband started kicking off and accusing me of slutting around and demanding a divorce, purely on the basis of finding proof that I'd played video games with a male friend a few evenings during the year he was away... I would consider myself better off without him.

44. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Missed the point

I think a few people missed the point. The point was not that she played Wii Bowling with a friend while he was gone, it was that the Mii account showed when the philanderer was at his wife's home.

He also explained that his wife had had previous contact with this arsehole, and the picture associated with the account was suspiciously familiar.

And yes, any prick that messes with someone's wife deserves absolutely zero respect. We don't like the slimey gits like this because they have no decency whatsoever.

There are plenty of single men and women to meet and play with, there's just no excuse. Preying on married women and wheedling up to them with fake sympathy don't exactly shout good character.

45. John Stirling
    Flame

@AC - and eventually others - jeez why can't I just get off my soap box and shut up.

Surely if a single person 'preys' on a married person it is the married person that is breaking the vows, not the single person - I speak as a married person who would be upset if my wife were doing naughty things, but could not find myself blaming the other party - they have made no vow of fidelity to me.

As far as 'slimy' or 'lacking decency' - I guess that might be fair if it was a friend who had an implied duty of care to me - but even then whilst I might choose not to be a friend any more, I still couldn't class it as their fault - the whole marriage thing is an exchange of some form of contract or commitment between two people. It is recognised generally by society, and (for the nutjobs amongst you) by whichever supranatural hoojamajoob you care to worship - there is however no legal commitment by third parties to respect it. Other than in those countries where there is of course. Any ethical or moral obligation rests upon the individual as society's ethical or moral obligations are generally encoded in law

I agree that folk who target other's vulnerability for any purpose are possibly (even probably) slimy and lacking decency - but there are plenty of those in sales, marketing, singles bars, all sorts of places. Even then you have to ask whether they are doing it because it's an easy target or because they have vulnerabilities themselves and can't behave better.

Oh, and Mr Judgement - the article does not say anything about previous contact - it states that his wife admitted a single kiss. It says nothing about evidence of anything other than bowling - which whilst possibly unwise is not prima facie evidence of anything except...bowling.

@Others: Mr Plouzhnikov strikes me as a socially and morally mature individual - you can generally tell by the inverse willingness to condemn other people without evidence.

@other AC - "So much for standing behind our troops. Guess America learned nothing from Vietnam. Then again, the divorce rate usually skyrockets when the troops start to come home."

You're right, it didnt' - that became clear at the point when it's executive decided to trump up an indefensible excuse to go make a situation it was responsible for worse and lie lie lie about it whilst completely failing to plan for the aftermath. Which is a shame because I consider the US constitution to be a fantastic model for the world which is completely undermined by the morally bankrupt policies followed by it's leaders.

I'll shut up now.

46. Fred
    Flame

@ John Stirling

Well put.

47. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Title

Well said Mr Stirling, beat me to it!

How anyone could ever conclude that the US learnt anything from Vietnam in the light of Iraq I cannot understand.

48. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

@John

Sorry, just don't agree with that. BOTH parties are to blame. And actually what the article says was the guy grew suspicious because of a rogue Mii account.

It doesn't say he divorced his wife for playing Wii games with another man, which is clearly what a number of posters seem to believe. The implication, as far as I could tell, is that having previously confronted her about him, and having pretty cast iron proof this guy visited his home regularly while he was away, he now considered the "just a kiss" excuse to be a lie. We have no idea how things went after that, but obviously not very well.

I'm married too. Personally I would be more forgiving, but I still think people that go after married men or women have no decency. I wouldn't want that done to me, and I wouldn't want to do it to anyone else. I don't particularly care if that's being judgmental or opinionated, it's just how I feel.

49. Nick Reid
    Flame

@Kirk, John, Fred, Dave

Whilst I wholeheartedly agree that the war in Iraq is illegal and someone should be nailed to the wall for it, I find it unbelievable that you all seem to be taking it out on this poor bastard (especially you Kirk).

You seem to forget that servicemen don't get to pick and choose which wars they fight in, if the Administration says to go to war then that's what they have to do. Anything else and you may as well be living in a Banana Republic for all the faith in your military you'd be able to have.

So the question is, who failed who over all this? Certainly not the military, they were just doing what they're ordered to do. As for the civilian population, just how innocent can you claim to be? A few half assed protests against it and then you all went home and satisfied yourselves with simply whining about the illegality of it all. Where were the strikes? Or even riots? You could have done any number of things to get the Administration to reconsider, but you didn't. I guess it's just easier to take it out on the guys in uniform isn't it?

And John, the article does also mention that his friends had told him she was cheating so he did have other evidence to go on.

50. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

@Nick Reid

Hear, hear. I was going to post, but you said everything I needed to. Thank you.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.