An Ohio man faces an extended spell behind bars after pleading guilty to making emergency calls using spoofed caller ID numbers as part of a prank designed to make sure his victims were raided by SWAT teams. Stuart Rosoff (AKA Michael Knight) of Cleveland, Ohio was part of a gang of "swatters" that used social engineering tricks …
"misguided pranks" ?
That's pretty generous, don't you think ?
Where's the Why?
What was the motivation? Elliot Carver taught millions of us unwashed readers that the most important part of a news story is "why". Thanks to Jonathan Pryce's on-screen rendition I'm here to say you need to add a bit to this story. Either what's missing, or an excuse. Or you could add a bunch of speculation. ("Did their adolescent brains get altered by a lack of sleep and a surfeit of Red Bull?" etc..)
? Misguided ?
Dont you mean viscous and nasty. People could hae been killed.
Should set them up to pop up in Hogan's alley, take part in training SWAT teams. The risk of an "accident" happening to them (especially if we tip the SWAT trainees off to their identity) is a risk I'd be willing to take.
hmm I like that idea. Let the coppers test out proper usage of tasers on him
re: Where's the Why?
Don't be silly. the only why needed: because they can.
In my youth, we tried several crazy stunts . . . designed to do nothing but 'can we do it'
- Blue Argon laser: will it blow up a gas can? you betcha
- Fake rope across a residential street, how many cars can we stop? LOL way too many.
- Can you make a mushroom cloud from bangsite? oh yeah!
ahh the endless fun . . . . but of course messing with the cops was LAST on our list . . .for obvious reasons.
Sorry detective Chuck Major. LOL
- Review Is it an iPad? Is it a MacBook Air? No, it's a Surface Pro 3
- Game Theory The agony and ecstasy of SteamOS: WHERE ARE MY GAMES?
- Hello, police, El Reg here. Are we a bunch of terrorists now?
- Worstall on Wednesday Wall Street woes: Oh noes, tech titans aren't using bankers
- Video of US journalist 'beheading' pulled from social media