Shuttle has begun offering British buyers a range of its XPC machines with Linux pre-installed, the small form-factor PC specialist said today. Shuttle has two XPCs on offer: the SD3002W and the SD300Q2, the former loaded with SuSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10 SP1 and the second with OpenSuSE. They're pitched, respectively, at …
Nothing that new
It's good they're offering Linux pre-installed, but it is just another SFF PC.
In some ways they would have a more unique selling point if they produced something really compact like a Mac Mini. Obviously such compactness isn't for all, it limits expandability.
opensuse is a great distro, and very usable even by non linux techies.
Congrats to Shuttle.
(comment typed from a suse 10.3 laptop)
When will these idiots get their act together?
- 2G RAM = useless; Intel only = almost useless.
- I'm still looking for a decent linux SFF in the UK market. Same story with notebooks: Dell, Acer and others.
,,,and here I was hoping it was getting new life as a transatlantic transport ("You've got some PCs for the Brits? No problem, just got to drop a few things off at the ISS first...")
@Battle: 2GB useless? Really? You planning on installing Vista on the thing? Or perhaps running 2 VMs and an inefficient database system with very large DBs?
I do agree, however, that the Shuttle SFFs are getting old -- when are they going to poduce something less boxy?
Re: Idiots get their act together
On linux, 2Gb is more than sufficient and Intel is probably the most stable and supported platform to run it on.
Even Intel's on board graphics run a 3D desktop that would embarrass a high spec Vista machine.
However, why Shuttle used one of their older cases is a mystery. It could have looked a bit nicer!
- 'Windows 9' LEAK: Microsoft's playing catchup with Linux
- Infosec geniuses hack a Canon PRINTER and install DOOM
- Game Theory Half a BILLION in the making: Bungie's Destiny reviewed
- Review A SCORCHIO fatboy SSD: Samsung SSD850 PRO 3D V-NAND
- Was Earth once covered in HELLFIRE? No – more like a wet Sunday night in Iceland