back to article Vietnamese cops jailed for death row pregnancy ruse

Two Vietnamese police officers who helped a female drug smuggler avoid an appointment with the firing squad by allowing her to get pregnant while on death row have been jailed, AP reports. Nguyen Thi Oanh, now 40, was convicted of possessing more than one billion dong ($63,000) of heroin and sentenced to death. However, she …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Andus McCoatover

One Billion Dong?

Surely, now it's one billion and one Dong?

</coat>

2. Radix
    Thumb Up

Well...

I've heard of "dying for a fcuk", but that's the first time I've heard of anyone "not dying for a fcuk". Go girl....

3. Matt Horrocks

1.5m dong

Imagine a "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" over there... you start off at 100 dong (about £0.003, i.e. a third of a penny), work you way up the easy questions to 1000 dong (a whole THREE PENCE!) then up to where most people seem to get stuck at 32000 dong (woah nearly a pound there, 96p). Or if you're very lucky you can get the MILLION! (30 quid).

4. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

one for...

Leslie Philips to comment on.

"Ding dong!"

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Simplifying vietnamese currency...

Gigadong, Megadong & Kilodong surely...

Hmmm... Perhaps "Orgy" for 10 dong...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

@ Radix

"Dying for a fcuk"? What on earth does a fashionable clothing brand have to do with a Vietnamese woman's death sentence? Did you mean to say "dying for a fuck"?

7. Mark
    Thumb Up

Why use an inmate??

When I'm sure they could've performed an "on the job" workout?

8. Charlie

Been there, done that

This was common practice in England a few hundred years ago. People condemned to death were generally taken pity on and given a lot of freedom (relatively speaking) during their last few days. Women convicts would frequently offer themselves to anyone who might get them pregnant, thus saving their life.

9. Stratman
    Paris Hilton

Inflation?

One could make comments about the rising Vietnamese dong but good taste comes to the fore.

10. Mike
    Coat

surly..

it was the man who gave dong to the female inmate.

11. Jim Hunter
    Coat

Where's the IT connection?

.........Who put the RAM in the RAM-A-LAM-A-DING-DONG

I'm on me way, forget the coat!

12. Alan Potter

@Charlie: A few days to get pregnant?

Yes, I know you only need one day - well a few minutes, actually. Okay, okay, a few seconds to get pregnant, but it certainly would take a damn sight longer than that for it to actually show, even if you have a pregnancy test and I don't believe they had those pee-sticks a few hundred years ago. So either these women had more than a few days to wander around before they were going to be executed or they just stuffed a cushion up their jumper and all the gullible men fell for it. It's not unknown for it to happen - even now.

As for Vietnam, it has one of the lowest crime rates in the world. But perhaps it also has the greatest number of unmarried mothers...

13. Brian
    Coat

This is just too easy...

With all that dong she managed to acquire I would've been amazed if she DIDN'T get preggers....Play me out, Johnny! (cue cheesey intermission music...)

Dont bother, I didnt even take my coat off....

14. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

Units

The bribe was 100 packs of cigarettes in Vietnam or 10 packs here. Which makes it about £450 for international units comparrison.

15. AD Marshall
    Boffin

Hey, i resent that

Been here a baker's dozen years, in SighGone, and i'd've never imagined a slapstick session going more than 5 quips without some sot tossing in his "two dong's worth". That's mine.

Mặc AD Marshall, Founder, Sole Member, HøLUG, Ho [Chi Minh City] Linux User Group, http://h0lug.sourceforge.net/

16. AD Marshall
    Gates Halo

Re. Hey, i resent that: Oops

As per editorial policy at "The Organ of the Party Committee of the Communist Party of Viet Nam, Ho Chi Minh City", Saigon Liberation, http://www.saigon-gpdaily.com.vn/, i should've writ, "... SighGone, Việt Nam..."

Just for completeness and edification's sake, i should've writ, "... a slapstick session on the Đồng..."

GBP 1.00 = Việt Nam Đồng (VND) 32,311 or so.

Source: Saigon Liberation

This topic is closed for new posts.