back to article Xbox girl-on-girl game upsets Singapore

Singapore has banned the Xbox 360 video game Mass Effect because it apparently contains a raunchy lesbian love scene. No video? You'll need to download Flash Player from www.adobe.com Local newspaper the Straits Times reported today that the science fiction role-playing game - which is due to be released in the UK later …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sheer filth!

No matter how hard I try, I cannot erase the searing details that keep replaying themselves over and over behind my closed eyelids. Damn you for exposing us innocents to those vile sights and sounds!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh! The horror!!!!!!!

2. Joe Stalin
    Paris Hilton

The Captain Kirk Effect

What was the tally for James T?

Oh yeah, 70 odd episodes, 53 luv interests and the real bummer 17 of them ended up dead, and that includes Joan Collins but not Paris Hilton. This game just carries on the tradition.

3. James Le Cuirot

To echo the words shown on the screen...

That's it?! Hardly anything to get worked up about.

I was once told some time ago that the music censors in Singapore who monitor for the use of bad language only read the lyrics and never actually listen to the songs themselves. This prompted one song about football to cleverly dodge them by singing "FA Cup" as "Faaaaaaa Cup!!" :D

4. George Brown
    Thumb Down

WTF?

Is that it? Was hoping for some proper filth. Suppose I should have guessed from the lack of a NSFW notice.. Bit poor to ban it on that basis though.

5. Colin Guthrie
    Joke

Inter gender??? Try inter species....

While I'm more than happy to watch a couple of foxy ladies to get it on, (not dudes tho' - sick!), I think the point everyone seems to have missed here is that these two ladies appear to be from different species.... while skin colour shouldn't matter in today's modern world, one of them is frekkin' blue!!!! I mean come on?

Different lifeforms getting jiggy? Is that any different to say a Welshman/Aussie/Kiwi/Aberdonian and his sheep? Is that a union we have all been to quick to judge?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Blue Film

I didn't realise they were called "blue" movies because the actors were actually blue.

You learn something every day.

7. Matthew
    Happy

In my time...

in S'pore, there was a story circulating that the People's Action Party, PAP (the goverment), had banned an edition of the New England Journal of Medicine because it contained an Article on PAP Smears.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No man action though?

Isn't it strange that they have straight and lesbian love interests, but no man on man action.

Surely if they are being "open minded" then they should have included that too.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

amusing if tame

where was the nookie? i don't want subtle, hinted at, shit! i want to see blue tits bouncing in front of my eyes!!

10. Eugene Goodrich
    Boffin

What some of us really care about...

How far into the game is this bit?

Is it a lone incident, or does this seem to be "going around?"

And, sure, while I'm asking these questions: does it advance the plot?

11. Rob
    Alien

Not played it but...

I'm sure it's just a case of a scripted section where the players character gets a chance to bang the blue bird for info. It just so happens that Mass Effect has a really good character creation scheme that's not fussy about race or gender..

12. Matthew Sinclair
    Joke

Huh?

All I saw was random images indicating something happened...but nothing specific.

@Singapor : Paranoid much?

13. David

s/he is asexual damnit

It isn't lesbian action, the alien species shown is asexual, ASEXUAL!

14. Azrafael
    Flame

As a Singaporean myself.

I've been hating these strict laws since they started curbing titles deemed unnecessary for the public in the late 90s.

Didn't feel much of an impact till the day i wanted to get Rockstar's GTA3 and vice city box sets which was banned too.

All these years the authorities have only succeeded in making the young turn towards piracy and this in turn worsens their effort to curb piracy thru mediums such as the black market dvds and torrents.

Am just glad my wolfenstein era till quake 2 had their stinking paws still being nursed by their mommas.

PS: Long live Pirate_Bay

15. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Shocking

And I thought that Singapore was a free port, everyone can get anything they wanted.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

gratuitous

Doesn't 'gratuitous sex and violence' pretty much rule out every teen or above game, not to mention many Hollywood films?

17. Vaughan Trevor Jones
    Paris Hilton

Am I missing something?

Surely thats not it? I mean if it is.... Then dang

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like