back to article MySpace makes kids fat, claims minister

The UK’s children’s minister has slapped MySpace and other social networking sites for their role in the fattening up of the nation's youth. Beverly Hughes, at the launch of a report by think tank Demos on how children are being squeezed out of public space in the real world, said children were being pulled into virtual worlds …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. M Brown
    Flame

So?

So kids are inside rather than outside terrorising neighbourhoods knowing the law can't touch them? Big fat deal, let the fuckers get fat.

2. Pete Silver badge

a bike powered PC?

So why not sell exercise bikes that have a generator hooked up? That way you could have it power your PC. Think of the benefits! You'd get exercise will surfing and you might even become carbon neutral

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

on the other hand...

Evolution getting rid of the fatties!

Looks like I'm out of here as well, then :(

4. Michael Sheils

Nope

I tend to believe it's morons like this guy who don't blame the kids for being lazy little shits that make kids fat.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

The Obvious Story?

How about a news article titled:

"Removal of playing fields, parks and other free/cheap physical activity venues, combined with kids eating too many burgers and sitting on their fat asses while their parents order takeaways for tea, causing kids to get fat"

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@dave

Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be an option. We must ensure that the stupid, unfit and / or work shy have as much chance as the rest of us. Quite why this is the case, I've never been able to work out.

7. Edward Rose

That's where bubble wrap comes in.

They only wrap the kids in bubble wrap on the 'lose weight by wrapping up in clingfilm' principle. Obviously it's as much use as a waterproof teabag.

I don't see why it's so difficult to find playing areas for kids....

1) Stop bloody selling them!

2) Knock down all the old unused crumbley buildings, and sell for housing developement.

3) Stop selling them.

4) Reclaim some of the safer areas for playing fields.

5) Stop selling them.

6) Teach kids about safe playing in school.*

7) Stop selling them.

8) If they want a meal when out get a cornish pasty, not a bleedin' mucky D**.

* s/(Rivers are dangerous.)/$1 So, if playing in one - pick a shallow area, during good weather, and make sure you are out with friends/

** Okay, I'm picking on mucky's here, I actually have a problem with people thinking any similar fast food is either a meal or is good quality. It's just that mucky's is an easy target. Oh, and it's off the topic of playing fields.

Where's the fat kid icon? A broken swing maybe?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Story title

"Minister in common sense shocker".... as this does make sense.

Slightly aside, while visiting Brazil, i was watching MTV while eating breakfast, at about 10 or 11 am it went to a test card screen with a message in Portuguese that translated as "Turn off the TV and go outside".

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

<title>

I completly agree with Anon Coward on this one. Whilst watching TV and playing on consoles / pc's all day / night isn't the best thing for kids, it certianly isn't the main factor.

I'm a lazy person, don't exercise very often, and i eat a lot of fast food junk, also play lots of PC games and watch lots of TV, yet i'm not fat at all if anything i'm underweight!

Kids today are just generally fatter, as it seems to be the way of the world. Parents are also not helping matters with the overprotection that seems to be everywhere now a days!

10. Brian
    Happy

@Edward Rose

"Obviously it's as much use as a waterproof teabag", today hasn't been all that great (partly because I didn't remember it was even Thurs until about 1pm.... but that just made my day! LMAO

11. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

It Doen't Help When

Every bloody one of them seems to get themselves chauffeured to and from school in stupid size cars that make them think they are small!

Fat knackers should walk to school, anything less than 3 miles is fine as that's what i did twice a day and anything more well get a bus, they be cheaper for sprogs! It will take longer of course but then that will keep them busy and not in my way.

Oh yes they will get fatter slower as well. Lazy bloody kids and lazier bloody parents!

P.S (I don't care how busy you say your mornings are, if you don't work its your own fault for being busy and if you do just kick em out the door at 8.00 am to walk and thank me for making your life less busy by making you aware that one of your parental duties isn't being a chauffeur for you fat lazy spoilt kids)

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Makes them fat?

Fat? No... Stupid? Yeah... Subjects them to predation and so on..

13. Scott

Pick a study, pick a conclusion

Breaking news, study reveals energy drinks cause internal bleeding in children and leads to alcohol abuse (BAN THEM, BAN THEM, BAN THEM)

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=energy-drinks-jolt-blood

14. Adam White

Casual demonisation?

WTF?

15. Josh

Well...

You could just play the protective parent and do designated time. If you've raised them properly to begin with they will abide by it.

Even so, the internet gets boring after a while, so they'll have to go outside at some point.

This topic is closed for new posts.