Feeds

back to article Net giants argue for user-generation immunity

A coalition of the biggest names in internet publishing is campaigning for the reversal of a US court ruling that leaves some publishers liable for comments made by internet users. Google, Microsoft, Facebook and Yahoo! have all petitioned the court. A Californian court ruled (pdf) earlier this year that flat-share matching …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Discrimination??

"Those questionnaires asked people to indicate if they are willing to share with men, women, gay people or children, amongst other things. It also contained a comments box in which some people expressed preferences which could breach fair housing laws.

"Some state that they 'Pref[er] white Male roommates', while others declare that they are 'NOT looking for black Muslims'," said court documents."

So, you want to share a flat with someone, but you can't chose what type of person you want to share with because it's discrimination??

Am I reading this right?!?

Surely even in the PC crazy, red tape world of idiocity, it can't be made illegal to chose who you bloody live with...

Silver badge
Heart

@Tony

It's not going to be a case of you can't choose who you live with, but you can't explicitly state it in an advert.

Just remember the ad's in the 60's and 70's in the UK in peoples windows.

No Irish

No Niggers

No Dogs.

Doesn't make for a happy society does it?

@Tony

Of course you can choose not to live with a black person, but you can't tell anyone that. So the application of anti-discrimination legislation in this case means, of course, that people may have no chance of getting the flat but they can still waste their time calling you before you say 'Sorry, I've already found someone'. This is manifestly ridiculous.

@Stu

dogs can't read!

but it already happens

"non smokers only" "professionals only" "females only"

They are regularly seen and are all discriminating against certain demographics directly in their advert. I know things need to be worded sensitively, but surely you can still put them there? What can/can't you discriminate against? Is "no fat people" acceptable because it's a lifestyle choice for many?

I've lived with many a creed/gender/sexual preference, and am quite happy in all situations. However, if someone is ignorant and doesn't want a coloured person to move into their house/flat purely because of their skin, they should be able to say it from the get go. Hell, I'd rather they didn't turn up to a race hate house to see if they "meshed"!!

This topic is closed for new posts.