back to article Why do we think virtualization is new?

There are very many different communities involved in IT, ranging from those on the sharp-end user side of things to the many more engaged in the vendor and channel. Plus, of course, several different groups, including analysts like myself, that sit somewhere between the two. As with life everywhere else, all of these different …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mike Laverick
    Pirate

Nothing new under the sun

Virtualization is NEW. Real New. To Windows people. People do go on and on about how virtualization is not new. Everyone knows this. It's not new to Unix people but is new to Windows people.

About 4 years ago there was a very little marketing hype about virtualization, and I had to spend my time (I'm an instructor) actually explaining what is "virtualization" and what is a "virtual machine" - and crucially what the advantages and disadvantages were. You see Unix and Windows are two different countries, they speak different languages there.

As for the hype. I blame that on people who didn't get how important virtualization was going to be 4 years ago. These guys really missed the boat, and they are the type sure hate missing gravy trains that give them a license to print money based on other peoples ignorance. They those companies who previously were doing Windows consultancy ago-go, but woke up last week a heard about this company called VMware. Now they are calling themselves "experts".

You see in life there always people who move from field to field chasing easy money. It's these types who are being sucked into virtualization. In a few years time these people will be gone. Chasing the new gravy train. Whilst those of us who have been in virtualization sometime, will carry on virtualization the other 95% of IT that has yet to come.

Don't like things that are "new" in IT?

Seek an alternative career. IT's called change...

Regards

Mike Laverick

RTFM Education

2. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

'course us poor folks

Who were around at the end of the 70's when IBM released its VM's couldn't be expected to understand what a Virtual Machine is..

If you talk about fraudulent careers.. just look at KM.. Even the gurus of KM agree what we always knew.. There is no such thing!

Were have the KM people gone though? TQA was dead a decade ago,,,

3. b shubin
    Pirate

Soft target

what you see is not meant for IT managers who have IT knowledge. it is aimed squarely at CIOs and other CXOs or Directors, preferably ones with no hardware background or operations experience.

the vendors are selling trinkets to savages, essentially. no point in educating this kind of customer, he already has everything required: ignorance and purchasing authority.

if you make it SHINY enough, he'll sign anything.

this happens whenever nontechnical people make technical decisions. it almost always ends badly, and the technical workers are usually blamed.

4. Mike Laverick
    Boffin

Another thought

I was thinking again about this again this morning. And thought. Well, we don't think its new. And secondly and more importantly does any one actually care whether its new or old - as long as it works, is reliable, and properly priced?

Is this a question that no one actually gives two hoots about?

Regards

Mike Laverick

RTFM Education

This topic is closed for new posts.