Feeds

back to article 'I'll be back' is most-quoted movie line

Arnold Schwarzenegger's famous "I'll be back" line from Terminator has been fingered as the movie quote people use most in everyday chat. A poll of 2,000 film buffs by the UK Film Council's myfilms.com also revealed that people were wont to utter "Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn" in the style of Rhett Butler from Gone With …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Unhappy

Are those quotes correct?

Im sure Rutger's lines were not so short as that... and there was more?

Other lines also seemed somewhat shortened...

yeah... but what counts as a quote?

So, does using the 'quote' in everyday life make it a quote? I mean, if you tell someone "I'll be back at 3" does that count on the quote-o-meter? Aparently, if you wrote out 'I'll be back' every time it was said in 2006, you'd fill 6 football pitches...

Unhappy

Obligatory "But what about...." comment

"You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!"

We don't need to show you no steeenkin' badges

Its not exactly a mis-quote, its a mis-source. This line was spoken as "Badges? We dont need no steeenking badges!", complete with suspect Mexican accent in "Blazing Saddles", in the Hedly (Heddy?) Lamarr army recruitment scene.

Yes, it probably was supposed to be a spoof from Treasure of the Sierra Madre, but there you are.

A

Probably a Double Post, but...

The line "Badges? Badges? We dont need to show you no stinking badges!" Was also said by StarScream in the original Transformers cartoon series (Ghost in the Machine, I believe the ep was).

There you go, accurate quote, and something of a techy angle at the same time (Robots, vehicles and so on. Anyone? No? Right then, where did I leave that coat?)

Nothing new about misquotes

Quite a few famous quotes are actually famous misquotes or at best paraphrasing. What exactly is the famous phrase from Casablanca as an example? Which surprisingly doesn't appear in the lists above.

Paris Hilton

Modern women. They've been like that all through the ages.

This seems very fishy. Surely people say "I'll be back" all the time without meaning to quote The Terminator, which gives that quote an unfair advantage. And I doubt that many people quote Roy Batty's death speech in everyday conversation.

And it seems odd that neither Trainspotting nor Pulp Fiction nor The Matrix appeared anywhere. Perhaps they were exclusively 1990s phenomena.

Is it bad form to separate more than two items with "nor" and "neither"?

The master would not approve. I choose Paris Hilton as my avatar because all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work etc

"Beam me up Scotty"

Prepare of deluge of trekkies (me included) that'll point out that , that particular phrase was never actually uttered on Star Trek.

Silver badge

Mel Brooks

I'm suprised he didn't get more of a showing.

"May the Shwarz be with you"

"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"

"Look at that","Steady as a rock","Yeah, but I shoot with this hand" <cue limbtastic epileptic fit>

Some more favourites (ok so they not from movies)

"They'll be coming after us as fast as they can"

"And that's pretty fast actually"

"Not as fast as us" <-- This is delivered in the most contemptous manner possbile.

A small prize to the retard who can guess what the above is from.

"What you've discovered Percy, if indeed it has a name, is some Green"

"Could it be? That I hold in my hand a nugget of purest Green?!"

"They stalked the land, like two great stalking things"

Nurse, I need my medication now!

Silver badge
Thumb Up

What about.....

1. "Help! Help! I'm being repressed!" (Monty Python and the Holy Grail) Used when being put-upon by the boss.

2. "Oh you mean an African swallow" (Paraphrase)(Monty Python and the Holy Grail). Used in cases of misunderstanding.

3. "He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy!" (Life of Brian). Used when an ass-licker makes a cock-up.

4. "You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!" (The Italian Job). Used in case of large scale cock-up.

5. "Here I am, brain the size of a planet, and...." (Paraphrase)(Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy). Used when assigned a menial task.

6. "Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?" (2001, A Space Odyssey). Used when you catch a colleague viewing dodgy websites.

7. "Do ya feel lucky, punk" (Dirty Harry). Used in cases of general risk taking.

Go

Myself...

...I find I use these with gay abandon:

"Butter hook!" ~ Live And Let Die

"The wankers on the street don't drink it cause they can't afford it" (along with many others too numerous to mention) ~ Withnail & I

"First you'd better stop waving it like a feather duster" often followed with "How appropriate, you fight like a cow" or "Why, did you want to borrow one?" ~ The Secret of Monkey Island (Yes, that's a game not a movie. Yes, I'm a loser. No, I don't care.)

Coat

Shirley

One of my faves (from Airplane) is:

"Surely sir, you can't be serious!"

"I am serious, and don't call me Shirley"

Go

I can't believe...

...that the greatest film quote ever isn't here:

"I have come here to kick ass and chew bubblegum....and I'm all out of bubblegum"

Top stuff, and a hilariously bad B-movie to boot. Longest fight scene in a film...

Where is the Paris Hilton angle?

Bronze badge

Come on

I'm not sure who they interviewed for this, but a straw poll here made "I said just blow the bloody doors off" a clear winner with almost no-one picking any of the ones in the article.

Coat

Surely you can't leave out these:

"And, don't call me shirley!"

"I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti"

"Yarp!"

I'll get my coat!

IT Angle

So how are people misquoting

"I'll be back"? It's probably harder to sod up than get right.

Alien

Can't belive...

...the most popular quote from 2001 wasn't "I'm sorry I can't do that, Dave"

And where was Star Wars? No "these aren't the droids you're looking for?" etc, etc

I think we should be told.

How could you miss out...

You're only meant to blow the bloody doors off!

Gold badge
Black Helicopters

"I'll be back"?

AFAIR the great quote from the original Terminator movie at the time was "Fuck you, asshole". The adoption of "I'll be back" as the Arnie catchphrase came later as the appeal of the whole Termintor genre became more mainstream and Hollywood realised that it had a bit of a problem with image (presumably the Terminator poseable action figure that says "Fuck you, asshole" when you pull the string wasn't likely to top the Xmas sales charts). They went so far as to have Arnie use "I'll be back" whenever possible in order to reinforce the new, family-friendly, entertainment-focussed Terminator image.

The lone voice of dissent in the industry was Paul Verhoeven who resurrected "Fuck you, asshole" in "Total recall" as a side-gag, going so far as to have this one issued by a little old lady at Arnie (this one produced gales of laughter at the cinema when I saw it).

Nice to see that the extensive airbrushing work by the Pigopolist Junta seems to have paid off.

It's the anorak, thanks.

Rather a tame choice of Withnail quote

In one of my old houses any transgressions were met with a chorus of "Monty, you terrible cunt!"

Oh yeah. We got all the girls.

Paris Hilton

Quotes

yeah, didn't Donald Pleasance do a better "Good-bye, Mr. Bond" in You Only Live Twice? more stacato like if I remember

Also, wasn't it James Caan and 'The Fopp' in Mickey Blue Eyes that repeated "Furr-ghedda b'art eet!"? (God, what a bad, bad film....)

@Marc : doesn't seem right, but his original script which was lengthly was heavily cut by Mr.Scott. Think it's fairly true, but there are so many variations on the net, it's difficult to check without watching it again.. (oh well, guess I'll have to watch it again! he he)

Casablanca...

is "here's lookin' at you kid" IIRC it is actually said like that in the film...

Plenty of stuff that should be in there.

Bronze badge

Mine

"Your gonna need a bigger boat" -- Jaws

"PC Load Letter? What the F*** does that mean?" -- Office Space

"I came for the waters...I was misinformed" -- Casablanca

"Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tanks of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it." -- The Blues Brothers

Title

How about

"Butts will be liberally kicked!"

and

"Stinking Evil! Cover your nose, Boo"

and

"Evil all around. Be careful not to step in any"

Ben
Bronze badge

NOOOOO CHARLES! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

And

"That's no moon, it's a space station!"

Jeez guys...

A Pair of Pints, Please!

"What is your name? What is your quest? What is your favourite colour?"

"Who's queen?"

"Smeghead!"

...all great British inventions.

--- I'll have the blandest thing on the menu.

Unhappy

I saw this article and thought

I've got a bad feeling about this.

Mars

What?

How can they possibly have come to this staggeringly unimpressive conclusion?

Because of course no-one who wasn't referring to Arnie's classic Terminator line would use the phrase "I'll be back".

Also I somehow don't believe many people use that whole quote from blade runner at number 8 on a regular basis.

I've used the 'amanfrommars' icon because this article makes about as much sense as something he'd wrote.

Arnold Swarzenegger meets the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle:

Hasta la vista - - maybe

Quotes for every occasion

@ Marc. fairly sure that is the dialogue in the director's cut.

My fave quote from withnail is "i mean to have you, even if it must be burglary"

other choice quotes (and paraphrases) which for some reason i use a lot;

"We're gonna get japped, we're gonna get japped" in a panicky voice

"we're on a mission from god"

"Oh God! Oh Jesus Christ!"

"Tora! Tora! Tora!"

"You wanna get high, man?"

"Bullshit, Mr Han-man"

"you don't like my rice?"

"there's a dog loose in the woods!"

"This stuff will make you a god damned sexual Tyrannosaurus, just like me"

Aaaaaaddddddrrrrrrrrriiiiiiaaaaaannnnn!

and lots more. If you know all the movies they're taken from, you too are a loser!

I would add that "I'll be back" only counts as a quote if you say it in a crap accent.

also..

"We're gonna need a bigger boat.." - Jaws

Always useful when life swings the odds away from your direction..

Happy

Arnieisms.

Wasn't it "Arrlbee Bock"?

Withnail & I is full of quotey goodness!

"I demand to have some booze!"

"What f*cker said that?"

"I feel like a pig shat in my head"

and of course the one quote for when nothing else will do...

"GETINTHEBACKOFTHEVAN!"

Bronze badge
Thumb Down

Shouldn't this item really be called...

'I'll be back' is the most-quoted movie line by 2000 UK film buffs?

Thumb Up

Amongst...

all the cries of "why doesn't....make the list?" everyone seems to have forgotten that it's not a list of the best movie quotes, it's just a list of those that are most used in conversation.

that said...

"Nice marmot"

Stop

the movie quote people use most in everyday chat?

Who on Earth says "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain. Time to die." in their everyday conversation?

Coat

TitleCaesar

Infamy! infamy! - they've all got it in for me!

Coat

The Last Action Composer

So Segal, Van Damme and Arnie are thinking of ways to revive their movie careers. Segal says: "We need to do something with more pathos, so we get taken seriously".

Arnie responds: "Yes - something that will win an Oscar",

so Jean-Claude suggests: "How about a history of famous composers? I've always admired Wagner, I could play him".

Segal says: "No no, Rachmaninov is the best, I'll play the Russian"...

To which Arnie simply says: "I'll be Bach"

Favourites

Not sure if this actually came from any movie but "good thinking Bat man" has been a firm favourite of mine for years

And also "I love lamp" when i dont understand what some ones talking about.

This post has been deleted by its author

Alien

"You always were an *sshole, Gorman!"

Not sure I'm impressed by this survey - some of these quotes are far too wordy to actually get used in conversation. It all seems a bit contrived. Also, what about:

"How do I get out of this chicken-sh*t outfit?" Aliens

"Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen!" Aliens

"Watch those corners!" Aliens

"I say we take off, nuke the site from orbit - it's the only way to be sure" Aliens

"Get away from her you b*tch!" Aliens

"Not bad, for a human" Aliens

"It's game over, man, game over!" Aliens

"Ease down Ripley, you're just grinding metal." Aliens

"We're on a express elevator to hell.... going down" Aliens

"All I need to know, is where they are." Aliens

"What are we supposed to use, man, bad language?" Aliens

"A day in the corps is like a day on the farm!" Aliens

"I may be synthetic, but I'm not stupid" Aliens

"Hey, Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?" / "No. Have you?" Aliens

There are many more!

surprised not to see...

"I will have my revenge, in this life or the next"

Used once a month, at the very least.

TV quotes are also sometimes better:

"I feel like I have just been screwed with my pants on"

Missed my favourites...

Probably says a lot about the types of conversation I have, but some of my most-quoted would have to be from Full Metal Jacket, namely "what is your major malfunction numbnuts?" and snippets of the "me sucky sucky, me love you long time" "too beacoup" scene.

That, and "We were some where near Barstow on the edge of the dessert when the drugs began to take hold.".

All suitably butchered to fit the situation of course.

Go

RE: Withnail & I is full of quotey goodness!

It most certainly is...

"'I fuck arses' ... who fucks arses? Maybe HE fucks arses!"

"I called him a ponce, and now I'm calling you one ... PONCE!"

"I have a heart condition, if you hit me it's murder!"

"Started coming on really 'bald' with me"

"If I spiked you you'd know you'd been spoken too"

"If I medicined you, you'd think a brain tumour was a birthday present"

"Cool your boots, man"

"You can shove it up your arse for nothing and fuck off while you're doing it"

"Danny's lost his clog!"

"My thumbs have gone weird!"

"We're not from London, you know" .. "I don't care where you come from!"

"Are you the farmer?".. "Stop saying that Withnail, of course he's the FUCKING farmer!"

"I want something's flesh!"

"I've been watching you - especially you, prancing like a TIT, you want workin' on boy!"

"I'm not homosexual Monty!" .. "Yes you are, OF COURSE you are!"

And the list goes on and on...

Zen
Coat

@ Sir Runcible Spoon

> "They'll be coming after us as fast as they can"

> "And that's pretty fast actually"

> "Not as fast as us" <-- This is delivered in the most contemptous manner

> possbile.

I do believe that little exchange is from Blake's 7, Sir. Now about my prize; I demand the finest wines available to humanity. And cake.

Alien

My God, it's full of stars!

Name that movie great!! But do it before 3001 the final odyssey.

Folks!

How can nobody mention "I'll make him an offer he can't refuse"?

Coat

One, two, five...

"Three, sir." "Three."

"I fart in your general direction."

"Okay, we'll call it a draw."

"Oh, it's just a harmless little bunny, isn't it?"

<grabs anorak>

Stop

I'll be back?

Wasn't that Fu Manchu's line, long before Arnie borrowed it?

I'll be back-ack-ack-ck-ck-k

Silver badge
Boffin

Arnie's catchphrase

I remember more the "I'll be back" line from when I first watched it, because of the carnage that immediately follows that scene. However, I watched the "EDITED FOR TELEVISION" version, so I think that the "Fuck you, asshole" line may have been cut out back then... *and* I was like 5 years old.

Hm... I wonder why "Mr. Sulu, Warp Speed" isn't one of those quotes. My dad used to use that line when entering the highway, which usually meant we'd grab on to anything as he would speed up to 160+ km/h. Ow.

As for Goldfinger's "I expect you to DIE, Mr. Bond!", it really sounds like the most badass line ever given by a Bond villain. Right to the point: I don't want you to talk, or fight, or whatever. I want you to die! bahahahahaha!!! Note that 007 had *no* means of escape, it is only because of his bluff that he is able to save his arse. Oops!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.