Feeds

back to article Russians to get broadband by spy plane

Russian high-altitude spy planes may be given a new lease of life as platforms for telecoms services, if an audacious (and rather improbable) scheme ever gets off the ground. Myasishchev M-55 were initially designed to intercept spy balloons after the US U-2 program was shut down. After the end of the Cold War, a modified …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Skynet?

Skynet is already out there- Terminator fans beware......

Its the new UK PPP/military system for broadband for military forces overseas. Its also the name of a large Belgian ISP......

Silver badge

Those crazy Russians

Flight endurance: 6 hours 30 minutes...

Well that's better than you get from some of the budget ISPs I guess!

Not quite sure how much fuel that would be, but somehow I imagine it making a satellite data link seem cheap!

Ian
Thumb Down

@Shane McCarrick

British MOD's Skynet system has been around since the late 1960s. It can hardly be termed "the new UK PPP/military system for broadband for military forces overseas"

Go

Isn't this similar to the crazy DARPA thing?

You know, their plan to turn F-22s into flying wifi hotspots? Seems to me the US and Russians need to get together so their respective armies' WoW sessions remain trouble free. Now which side wants to play horde?

Alien

lofty 'gateway' platform

Dude -- Alliance all the way -- but I'm a canuck and we're used to kicking the 'murricans butts in wargames ... *grin*

What was the name of the robot network in the Terminator series again???????

Oh -- by the way -- wheres the PH angle here?

This topic is closed for new posts.