back to article MySpace ads zero in on user data

MySpace has tightened its advertising targeting system to let marketeers aim their pitch at more specific user interests, in the hope they'll be more likely to respond. The social network first introduced 10 categories earlier this year to allow products to be pitched at interests listed by MySpace members, such as "movies". …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Alert

I think Facebook already does it...

The Google ads on the Scrabulous-built Facebook page are always about the first 2 things mentioned in my Activities and Interests from my profile, which is either a big coincidence or some FB apps are already doing this.

Oh Goody

More entries for the list of companies I'm gonna try to avoid.

If these folk are shoving themselves in your face at the time they're *supposed* to be trying to impress you, then God only knows how badly they'll treat you when the need to impress has dired down a bit.

What is Brand Suicide, anyway?

Tom
Happy

adverts?

I remember them.

</adblock+ smugness>

Stop

Why the HELL should I pay for anything?

Advertising? Aimed at me? The total BASTARDS!!!!! Why the HELL would I want to see that??? After all, if I want to upload 400 photos of me any my m8s while we're drunk (oh, you should see pic #165, its so funny, right, you should see it, their is vomit everywere, hah ha), it's my RIGHt to do it for FREE!!! They HAF to gv me storage spc - i axed 4 it!!! Their going 2 wnt me 2 BY somefing nxt!!! M jst going to haf to ADBLOCK evryfing now!!!

BASTARSD!!!!!!!!!

Thumb Up

I've already had ads directed at me thru FaceBook...

...Its called pr0n. Since I joined last week, I can't get enough of the stuff! Mind you on MySpace, the ladies think I'm cute until I click their picture. Then I have dozens upon dozens of live internet chat babes to talk too!

Ain't I lucky!!

who cares?

Nobody ever heard of adblock plus?

"Hmm, so whey you use facebook you see adverts? hmm I don't..."

So I use the ostrich principle, if I don't see it, its not really there. Sure they're getting data on me in dribs and drabs and building a marketing profile of me, but if I don't see them they have no affect.

Silver badge

Adblock is great

Not using MySpace/Facebook/other-inane-site is even better.

adverts not a big deal shocker.

adblock does an admirable job of pruning the many and varied adverts for crap i have no interest in buying, but if i was only ever being served adverts for products/services i was actually interested in, i'd probably end up turning it off.

besides, adverts just aren't worth worrying about.

Selective blindness

The brain has a good job of tuning out things it knows you're not interested in. Just think about the 12 years you've had a ticking clock in your room and until a kind friend points out the annoying tick, you didn't even know it made a sound.

I manage to do the same thing with banners and advertising, the only ones which sometimes get past my mental filter are the animated flashing banners. That usually means I turn off the tab I'm on and NEVER VISIT THE SITE AGAIN.

The end.

Thumb Down

E-Hippies on parade.

Google makes all their money through targeted ads.

Webmasters are able to create great sites at no fee to the user, all down to advertising.

Without ads you wouldn't have free hosting. It just wouldn't happen.

Social Networks can exist, becuase of the ad supported nature of their business.

Where do youtube get money for bandwidth? Adverts.

The web is supported using Adverts.

Like it or loath it, using Adblocking software is detrimental to the internet as a whole.

If you want to throw up your arms and whine about targetted ads, or advertising as a whole, just stop. You might as well put on a beret and run the streets proclaiming that all property is theft, becuase nobody will listen to that either.

El Reg: For god sake, take 3 hours and implement COOKIES on this comment system so I don't have to constantly reenter my details.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums