back to article Immigration minister fined for car mobe chat outrage

Immigration minister Liam Byrne has been fined for using his mobile phone while driving. Byrne was fined £100 and had three points put on his licence, bringing his total to six. He must also pay £35 in costs. The MP for Birmingham Hodge Hill pleaded guilty by letter and said he was taking an important call on a deportation …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

AROOOGAH! AROOOOGAH!

El Reg prohibited vocabulary usage alert!

Collapse of civilisation imminent!!!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha HA!

Brilliant, the law does apply to cabinet ministers, now all we have to do is make sure that if they sell honors or start illegal wars they get nailed. Not that I can imagine that ever happening, of course.

3. Ferry Boat

A quiet drink

I can't be the only one to read it as 'a large hippopotamus' can I?

4. cor
    Pirate

About the cabbie comment..

I picked this up on Wikipedia, so it's true (TM):

In Alzheimer's disease, the hippocampus is one of the first regions of the brain to suffer damage; memory problems and disorientation appear among the first symptoms. Damage to the hippocampus can also result from oxygen starvation (anoxia) and encephalitis.

"Damage .. can result from oxygen starvation.."

So do the cabbies get didjeridoo lessons beforehand or what?

Can they simultaneously in- and exhale?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Ferry Boat

No - I read it as "a large hippopotamus" too.

I don't know about anyone else but the number of times I've had to give directions to taxi drivers (sometimes going from our house back into the town centre ! ) I suspect that the University of London study is probably not very good.

6. Luke Wells

shame

Shame he didn't get caught smuggling illegals into the country so that we can get rid of him and hopefully replace him with someone that will actually implement any sort of border control.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Damn!

What a shame the odious little shite was caught before he did us all a favour and drove into a wall.

8. Michael Sheils
    Stop

@the use of prohibited words

End of the world will commence in...

<connection to reality terminated>

9. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Typical hypocrite

This is the same Government Minister who has touted the idea that persons including those who have ancestral ties to the UK and originate from the old Commonwealth must be subjected to having their citizenship application delayed if they have broken the law through minor traffic violations. Considering the blatant disregard by the Home Office to actually abide to laws passed within the UK by successive governments - such reckless conduct comes as no surprise.

10. Captain DaFt
    Happy

Battle of the mobe

Apparently coverage of the great battle hasn't reached all corners of the globe yet.

Full report here: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11/01/mobe_liberated/

It still makes me smile to read that. :)

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Mike Richards

"What a shame the odious little shite was caught before he did us all a favour and drove into a wall."

Alternatively: "what a relief the odious little shite was caught before he drove into a pedestrian or cyclist."

I feel the latter is a much more likely scenario.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like