back to article World Cup Willie company loses case on own evidence

Goodwill in trademarks can last for 40 years even if the mark is rarely used in that time, the High Court has ruled. The Court ruled in favour of the Football Association (FA) which was defending its ownership of a mascot from the 1966 World Cup. A company called Jules Rimet Cup Ltd (JRCL) applied to register a trademark for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

Used in 1970

World Cup Willie was used extensivly for the Mexico '70 World Cup. I remember having key rings, and various other promo material given out by my Junior School.

Shame we went out in the quarter finals. Wonder what the stuff would be worth if I still had it.

2. Owen Carter
    Boffin

1966 was a very good year

For all the 'merkins and other outcasts, the key here is that the sport is Football (the sort played with feet and not hands), and the year is 1966..

Which by some weird coincidence is also the year England won the football world cup, a fact that I'm sure is purely co-incidental to this attempt to commandeer, err, register, 'World Cup Willie'.

3. Peter Gathercole Silver badge
    Unhappy

@Peter Gathercole (me)

On reflection, must have been stuff left over from '66, as I was in a different school in '70. Cheepskates.

4. Dogbyte

I sold my Willie...

My 1966 World Cup Willie (original price 1 shilling) went for £25 on eBay.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Nobody forgets these things.

It's a plague but no one ever forgets these trivial things quick without looking it up who was president of the United Nations general assembly in 1966. You don't know, but you know Willie. The human mind is a vast garbage dump.

6. Ian Tunnacliffe

Fairly Sure it was U Thant

Didn't look it up though so I could be wrong

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

@Owen Carter

Good points, but you probably should have pointed out that when we say "World Cup" we mean "lots of countries around the world competed" as opposed to, say, "World Series of Mens Rounders" which actually translates from Merkin to English as "US States Series of Baseball".

Whilst the mind is indeed often a "vast garbage dump" it is important to know the differences to be properly culturally educated. Or something.

This topic is closed for new posts.