back to article Pentax Optio Z10 digital camera

Talk about too much choice: we're drowning in digital cameras. These days, everyone, their tennis partner and their dog seem to be launching an eight-megapixel compact with a large screen. So, in this over-crowded environment can Pentax's Optio Z10 stand out from the crowd? Ever heard the expression 'little things can make a big …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Boffin

Is that...

A first class carriage on GNER I see your picture? Must be nice...

Stop

"... its flaws outweigh its good points."

And it still gets 65%? If it's more bad than good, surely it should get less than half marks?

Are we stuck in the realms of 70% being 'average' and something that gets 50% being a product that will maim your children for the manufacturer's entertainment?

Anonymous Coward

Not it's standard class

as the seats and the windows do not line up

Good qulaity

"nice touch is 52MB of internal memory, which can hold up to 13 8Mp images at the highest quality setting. OK, it’s not a lot, but reduce the picture quality to 5MB and you can store up to 40 good quality images without so much "

Why does everyone think that image quality is based on megapixels? that is just the resulting resolution size - I don't know of any monitor that can display a 8mp image (dunno what the res is) without scaling it down - yes you can 'zoom' in but that isn't image quality - that is gained from the lens - 8mp is the image size - ffs drives me mad

Unhappy

What, no cheeseburger pic?

I'm wondering what the food mode looks like.

Flame

Not happy

I have an optio bought 6 months ago, it did not last two weeks, the rear view screen cracked, I'm still unable to get it repaired, no spare screens available apparently.

I also have a pocket kodak with rear screen, which has been in the same pocket for 2 years its screen never damaged, I wonder if in-built non-warranty damage???

As usual no response or comment from Pentax.

So I will not touch another pentax with rear screen just in case. Let buyer beware.

Happy

@ Adam, Re: Good Quality

MP relates to pixels which are important for printed results. The higher the no. pixels per cm/inch in an image (upto a certain limit) the better the printed result. Also, higher resolution means you can enlarge an image (similar principal to on-screen zoom) without degrading the quality.

For those of us who print images, MP and image resolution are a big deal.

@ @Adam guy

Thanks that makes sense - I guess as I never print really anything bigger than the standard photo size I didn't see it like that - I guess the general user like myself still doesn't see any real life benefit in a 3mp to a 8mp camera...

One question though, what is the limit of pixels per cm/inch before it doesn't really make a difference??

@ @ @Adam guy

I heard about a surveying company that takes digital photos of buildings at hundreds of MPs so that they zoom in super close and see any cracks etc.

Resolution and clarity.

Depending on the CCD used, having a higher resolution CCD only makes sense if the picture (100% zoomed in) provides a clear picture without banding (purple infringement around edges) and no loss of quality. Many high-resolution zoomed in max look crap.

My camera Fuji Finepix F10 provides pics at exactly the MP's it said it could produce.

Always before buying: Look at sample pics!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums