I installed it yesterday
...thinking it was an update to Windows Search, for which I very deliberately have indexing turned off.
Here is what I understand about it after a little playing about:
- You can disable the new search, but if you do, you can't search at all.
- You cannot turn off indexing, merely pause it for a while.
- There is no "pause until I turn it back on", only "pause for X amount of time". max(X) = 1 day.
- It appears that the search requires the index - I have found no fallback to a brute-force search.
- The indexing status display is unreliable. About 20 minutes after installation, the status was about 4000 indexed, 1000 to go. After 4 hours, it was 17000 indexed, 21000 to go. On the positive side, after the initial day or so of disk grinding, it does seem to have calmed down.
- For certain (but not all) Powerpoint files, the preview pane takes ages to render the preview, during which time, the UI is entirely unresponsive.
- Even though Firefox is my default browser, IE is used to preview HTML and other content (e.g. powerpoint files). Luckily, it does at least respect my disabling of ActiveX controls. I know because of the errors it displays.
- Microsoft's definition of "music files" does not include ogg vorbis, although they do show up if you select "everything".