Feeds

back to article Slingbox Pro networkable TV tuner

When we recently reviewed Sling Media's Slingbox Solo, we noted that the lack of a TV could limit its usefulness for quite a few folk. Well, now it's the turn of the other new - in the UK at least - Slingbox, one that does have a tuner: the Slingbox Pro. Sling Media Slingbox Pro Sling Media's Slingbox Pro: multiple input, one …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Flame

DRM on freeview telly?

Presumably, because I am required to use their own client software, they are still using some sort of wanky encryption on the output?

Why? If I can feed it into the bloomin box in the first place I have other ways of copying it. Sheesh.

And DRM'd freeview? Oh lord!

Beening round the net

One of my Clients lives in a posh square in South Ken. Her Offspring (and their offspring) live in LA.

Offspring have a slingbox, She has the slingbox client.

She watches what they're watching - and it would appear change the channel the offspring is watching!

Very cool.

Anonymous Coward

Freeview is transmitted at...

A maximum bitrate of 2Mbps so that's why you're only getting a max of 2400kbps on the DVB-T tuner. I have mentioned this before when you guys review/comment on the new Slingboxes ;)

PS - DVDs are the same.

PPS - if it did multiple concurrent streams it might be worth calling "Pro". It doesn't.

Anonymous Coward

Nebula DigiTV's a better option.

The Nebula DigiTV is a better option, you can get the hardware in either USB or PCI formats. It does client + networking and web output. It also supports HD content recording timshifting etc etc.

Flame

Re: Nebula DigiTV doesn't appear to do a lot of what Sling does

Ok, so I had trouble finding details on the Nebula DigiTV product. Is it available in the US? Their website appears to be here: http://nebula-electronics.com/ Although it also appears to be down.

It also doesn't look like it supports mobile players like Sling does, so no watching from your cell phone. Sling supports Blackberries, Windows Mobile, and I believe the latest Palm OS. Granted their player is proprietary, but at least it works. If Nebula DigiTV only works via the web, it probably doesn't work on your phone which is how everyone I know who owns a Sling device uses them.

Also without finding specs, I couldn't verify but the PCI version and the USB version both appear to be Windows only, unlike Sling.

So it would appear to fall short on several features vs. the sling. I would be interested to see if it streams in full HD as you imply across the network, from say the output of an HD-DVD or BluRay player. If so it would have a nice advantage over the Sling product. Otherwise it sounds like either you don't understand Sling, or you are just plugging an inferior product that is lacking a lot of features.

Gates Horns

Multiple Streams..

Agree totally with John Naismith.

I have an original slingbox, which I really like for watching crappy tv in bed on a laptop, or keeping an eye on News 24 during the day from my home-office..

..and I love it.

But..

I would pay quite a bit more for a slingbox that supported multiple streams or multiple concurrent connected clients (say 5) then me, the missus and the kid(s) could watch different things or the same thing from different venues..

This topic is closed for new posts.