back to article Mobile broadband to dominate in 2011

Mobile broadband is expected to become the dominant broadband platform worldwide in 2011, according to a new report. The research, which was carried out by Informa Telecoms & Media, indicates there will be more than one billion broadband subscribers worldwide in 2011, with the majority using mobile rather than fixed systems. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dave
    Thumb Down

it's coming

This has been coming for years, and will continue to be the gold at the end of a rainbow.

At the end of the day, we need fibre into buildings for cheap, reliable, high speed access.

Mobile companies overcharge. they always have and always will, so mobile broadband will only become viable if the fixed lines keep putting up prices and reducing allowances.

The more people use mobile connections, the worse it gets. I remember when mobile telephones had a good call quality. These days I'm lucky to get one good call in 10.

Mobile high speed access sounds good, but in practice I neither need or want it. Fibre to the building, wifi to the device will be fine for me.

2. A. Lewis

Gosh, really?

I've never heard 'mobile internet will be the next big thing' before...

3. Damien
    Thumb Down

HSDPA the future?

The present, if you are connected to 3 in Ireland and their HSDPA offering (or lack of) makes me pine for a wired, or even a proper wireless/wifi connection.

Sharing upto 3.6mbps on a single phone mast is no fun....

4. AJ
    IT Angle

It Will Only be Successful...

... If speeds are fast, no less than 2Mb and pricing is competitive to fixed line ISPs, as well as offering unlimited access and not these daft caps you see in the UK atm!

people want unlimited access, fast speeds, at a reasonable cost without restrictions on what you can use your connection for. Some stop you using VoIP, messenger, etc unless you pay over the odds

5. Anton Ivanov
    Joke

What a laugh

As someone who has worked in a previous life on the IP side of both 2G and 3G cellular products all I can say is: Bwahahaha.

There is no way for a conventional 3G deployment to support more than 10% of the broadband population using the currently available cell sites. It is actually trivial to compute. For the UK depending on the operator there are 20-40000 sites. Assuming they are used for data only and using the higher number of 40000 this gives the total number of supported customers in the UK at 14 million for a 50:1 contention. Soft handover drops that to 7 million right away. Voice calls and the code tree fragmentation caused by them - 3.5 million at most. Once the wonders of coverage and capacity scalability problems have been thrown in it all goes to under 1 million per operator per band. Even for Vodafone which has 3 bands this ends up with less than 3m customers.

While 3G it is not a bad MAC for voice, it has so many fundamental scalability problems related to data that it is not even funny. So it is not likely that it can go beyond 1M per band anyway while using a macro-network deployment. The only way to achieve anything beyond this is for mobile operators to deploy 3G AP/Femtocell architectures especially for residential and in-building. These sit on top of guess what - bog standard, vulgar common broadband.

So I suggest informa learns how to add 2+2 so it does not produce 5 and listen less to whalesong. Fixed broadband is not going anywhere anytime soon.

6. Waldo
    Joke

Guru makes prediction... again....!

And just how the hell are we going to consume that much bandwidth with a mobile phone?... on my bank balance LOL.

Note to self:

Must buy SUV to drag along the hard disks to store all that data I am apparently going to consume somehow.

3G demand............. nice prediction

Texting explosion.... Oh you industry guru's predicted that one didn't you! NOT

Get real.. please!

7. Patrick Clough
    Flame

iBurst maybe but not HSPDA3G+IMT2000 techno joke

This is just the 1999 report they have updated to show they are not completely speaking from a consultant 101 classroom.

Even much more effective technologies like iBurst IEEE802.20 dont claim such ridiculous events.

Nothing to see here except more money gogin no where.

This topic is closed for new posts.